Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
....and obviously climate does not impact vegetation.....right? That is essentially the argument being propagated these days. Blacks have existed in the climate of white racism, for centuries, with no discernible or predictable impact on how we grew. Obviously Newton's theories of actions producing reactions does not apply to white matter. White folks can can do things.....but no reaction is ever linked to their actions. That is the theory of "white matter". In other words, if the people are not white, the truth don't matter. It gives a new meaning to "Plausible deniability".
How long are we going to keep making these excuses? 20 more years? 40? 100?

Meanwhile the educational attainment gap between whites and blacks is increasing:

Is this because the US is more racist and unequal in 2014 than in 1964?

Here are the 6-year completion rates:

White: 61.5%
Black: 39.5%

Are professors systematically giving black students bad grades and flunking them out of school?

You want to know what the 6-year completion rate is at historically black colleges? 37%.

I'm sure that's somehow the fault of white people too, after all, white people all the source of all the world's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They didn't need to enslave the Native Americans. They just killed them off.
So these white men said, "we need slave labor so let's kill the people that are already here and go through the huge cost and effort to import slaves from across the Atlantic."

Great point.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I have a good friend who is originally from Uganda. She often has to travel to the USA on business. I get a chuckle out of her comments about the place. "What makes those brown people over there think they are black? They are not black".

Old 02-15-2014, 12:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Aren't African-Americans living in 2014 smart enough and strong enough to overcome the actions of white people who have been dead for 100 years? I mean the Irish and Chinese descendents don't seem to be having too many problems (yeah, yeah, I know...they didn't "sufferâ„¢" like the Africans..ho-hum).

I can't tell if those white people were amazingly powerful to have that much control over human beings even a century after death or if today's African-Americans are just too weak.

But anyway, back on topic, I've always felt that ALL Americans could learn a little something about work ethic from our Caribbean brothers and sisters:

In Living Color Hey Mon - YouTube
Short answer:No

Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That is not true when it comes to bachleor's degrees.

Median income of white men, high school graduates, no college:

$732/week

Median income of black men, bachelor's degree only:

$964/week

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

Black male college graduates with bachelor's degrees earn 31.7% more than white male high school graduates with no college.

This must be racism too:

Advanced degrees:

Asian men: $1,734
White men: $1,652

Asian women: $1287
White women: $1193
When you control for IQ there is no significant gap between the races. The problem of course is that well.....

Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:

Meanwhile the educational attainment gap between whites and blacks is increasing:

Are professors systematically giving black students bad grades and flunking them out of school?

You want to know what the 6-year completion rate is at historically black colleges? 37%.

I'm sure that's somehow the fault of white people too, after all, white people all the source of all the world's problems.

I noticed that you taken out one of the main factors of the high drop out rates by black students in order to push your misguided agenda.......Finances. I do not see no where in your "statistics" that mention it nor does it mention family situations at home neither. My wife had a 3.9 GPA with a dual major before leaving school to take care of her ailing mother and her brothers, but according to your statistics she would be included in your failure to graduate on time list.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You talk as if black people are house pets, invalids or eunuchs.

You talk of someone who is completely ignorant of history and the after affects of those enslaved and the racial strife that followed

I'd think that over a span of centuries an ethnic group would be able to build enough strength and unity to overcome the unfairness and abuse from a larger-in-population (but not more physically or mentally powerful) ethnic group.

That would work only in a totally revolution and overthrow of the status quo, and since we all know that will not never happen, it is what it is.

Don't you ever wonder why white men were never able to enslave the human beings that were already on the North American continent when they arrived?

For a variety of reasons. First of all they were not familiar enough with the land and escape by the Native Americans was easy. Secondly, Native americans were a proud people and would rather kill themselves rather than be subjected to slavery. Finally, their immune systems could not adapt to the diseases that were brought over from Europe and many tribes perished because of this.

This was the main reason that the Europeans found it easier to import Africans. 1. They were not familiar with the land thus had nowhere to go 2. They were easily identifiable amongst the white masses. 3. Since many came from diffrent parts of Africa and had different languages it made it harder for them to communicate (initially) thus plan for revolts and mass escapes. 4 They were also more disease resistant to most European maladies.

What was it about the people that they had to take the time and effort to criss-cross oceans to bring over?
I don't understand what you are trying to get at. What about the millions that died on the way and were thrown overboard to the sharks? I'm pretty sure that no other group of people were forced to this country and lost so many in the process. I also think that it is interesting that the Jewish people will remine the world about the 6 milliion (which is debatable) which were lost in the holocaust, but when Black Americans mention the millions that were lost in the force passage to this country it falls on deaf ears and in many cases taken from the school texts

Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:

Maybe you fail to understand the meaning of "disadvantage". Disadvantage means, all other things being equal, that one cannot "succeed" at the same rate as those without disadvantage or with advantage. Racism created a disadvantage for black people. There was no "restart" button to press to isolate the impact of the disadvantage to the generation where legalized forms of racism existed. Rather, disadvantage, like inheritance and wealth, is passed down from one generation to another, because one cannot give their children more than they have to give, or teach them what they don't know, or provide them environments more conducive to producing success via acculturation through emulation.

Say a person gets shot. This person goes to the hospital with gunshot wounds and while in the hospital recovering from gunshot wounds catches a bacterial infection spreading through the hospital. Thus, the persons health takes a turn for the worse. If the person dies....what was the cause of death....the gunshot would or the infection? You see, the gunshot wound created conditions and vulnerabilities that put the person at a disadvantage. An entity already weakened is thus compromised relative to those at full health and strength and hence succumbs more readily to negative things spreading.

That said, America has been in cultural and economic descent since the 60's. That cultural and economic descent will impact those culturally and economically the weakest. The consequence of centuries of racial oppression is that it culturally and economically weakened black people, which means that virus of decay and decline of America is impacting black people more because black people never had time to recover from centuries of abuse. The gunshot wound of racism, upon black people, has left black people vulnerable and more susceptible to be impacted by negative changes in America.

I do not make excuses. Everything is what it is for a reason. Some action(s) produced every reaction that we can observe. To chronicle the temporal actions begetting reactions is not excuse making.......its called intelligence making. Every thing EVOVLED into the condition that it is in.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-15-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe you fail to understand the meaning of "disadvantage". Disadvantage means, all other things being equal, that one cannot "succeed" at the same rate as those without disadvantage or with advantage. Racism created a disadvantage for black people. There was no "restart" button to press to isolate the impact of the disadvantage to the generation where legalized forms of racism existed. Rather, disadvantage, like inheritance and wealth, is passed down from one generation to another, because one cannot give their children more than they have to give, or teach them what they don't know, or provide them environments more conducive to producing success via acculturation through emulation.

Say a person gets shot. This person goes to the hospital with gunshot wounds and while in the hospital recovering from gunshot wounds catches a bacterial infection spreading through the hospital. Thus, the persons health takes a turn for the worse. If the person dies....what was the cause of death....the gunshot would or the infection? You see, the gunshot wound created conditions and vulnerabilities that put the person at a disadvantage. An entity already weakened is thus compromised relative to those at full health and strength and hence succumbs more readily to negative things spreading.

That said, America has been in cultural and economic descent since the 60's. That cultural and economic descent will impact those culturally and economically the weakest. The consequence of centuries of racial oppression is that it culturally and economically weakened black people, which means that virus of decay and decline of America is impacting black people more because black people never had time to recover from centuries of abuse. The gunshot wound of racism, upon black people, has left black people vulnerable and more susceptible to be impacted by negative changes in America.

I do not make excuses. Everything is what it is for a reason. Some action(s) produced every reaction that we can observe. To chronicle the temporal actions begetting reactions is not excuse making.......its called intelligence making. Every thing EVOVLED into the condition that it is in.

Well explained, it is enough to make someone's

Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I noticed that you taken out one of the main factors of the high drop out rates by black students in order to push your misguided agenda.......Finances. I do not see no where in your "statistics" that mention it nor does it mention family situations at home neither. My wife had a 3.9 GPA with a dual major before leaving school to take care of her ailing mother and her brothers, but according to your statistics she would be included in your failure to graduate on time list.
Oh right, black students are the only ones with sick parents/siblings, I forgot.

Here's another statistic for you:

Labor force participation rate of 2012 high school graduates enrolled in college:

White: 34.7%
Black: 22.9%

Now maybe you can explain:

A. If black students are having to drop out of college due to finances so much then why are barely 1/5th of these students working a job?
B. Why is the percentage of them working a job 50% lower than white students with better finances?

Table 1. Labor force status of 2012 high school graduates and 2011-12 high school dropouts 16 to 24 years old by school enrollment, educational attainment, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, October 2012

Maybe they would fare better if they didn't have an excuse factory working overtime for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies