Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Next you'll be saying that whites use mind control to get black teens to murder each other.

Back to the thread topic:

Have you noticed that blacks from the Caribbean immigrate here to work and get an education and rarely fall into the trap of violence that American born blacks fall into repeatedly everyday?

That is because it is about CULTURE not RACE!!

Even black Americans had a culture of FAMILY, GOD and ACHIEVEMENT before they sold their souls to the "progressive movement".

Think about neighborhoods in the 1950s vs. today's neighborhoods.
Nothing in your posts indicate the slightest understand of CULTURE, as opposed to race. Are you of Caribbean background? Let's start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM

60 posts, read 132,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There was such a division from and suppression of African cultures and practices that has led to such great loss of heritage and perpetual ignorance. To even further illustrate my point, there is really no such thing as "blacks." They will label themselves as Italians, Russians, French, British. However, they ignore their myriad of cultures that Africans and African descendants come from.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. The problem is, many people of African descent, whose relatives have been here for centuries do not know our direct lineage. There are some websites like African Ancestry.com, which test DNA origins, but to my knowledge not a lot of African Americans partake in such genetic tests.

Quote:
They don't get that they created "blacks" during slavery, and the fact that the label still exists today is clear evidence of the effects of slavery. No "blacks" were brought to the Americas during slavery, but rather the Igbo, Yoruba, Akan, Fulani, Kongo, Wolof etc...over 45 different groups. Where are such people? Who tells that story?
Another excellent point. It's very sad that all of the rich history was lost on many African Americans, I certainly don't think that's an excuse not to research one's lineage through genetic testing.

Quote:
Why do we not see today the Igbo descendants of the Americas practicing the beautiful marriage traditions that those Igbos in or recently from West Africa practices today? Where do we see the descendants of Yoruba doing the Yoruba prostration?

The problem is that people who make statements such as the other poster usually have minimal exposure to African cultures to understand what was lost over that time and how that affects the present.
So much culture was indeed lost and look at what they've replaced bona fide African culture with --loud obnoxious, sex and violence filled rap and R&B music. How sad.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with you. The problem is, many people of African descent, whose relatives have been here for centuries do not know our direct lineage. There are some websites like African Ancestry.com, which test DNA origins, but to my knowledge not a lot of African Americans partake in such genetic tests.

Another excellent point. It's very sad that all of the rich history was lost on many African Americans, I certainly don't think that's an excuse not to research one's lineage through genetic testing.

So much culture was indeed lost and look at what they've replaced bona fide African culture with --loud obnoxious, sex and violence filled rap and R&B music. How sad.
Exactly. Connection to cultural heritage is key and maintaining that in the face of pressure assimilate (which equates to abandoning your culture while the majority retains their own). The genetic tests are a great development, but it seems there are still some issues with them. So the hesitation is somewhat understandable. It does seem that they are growing in popularity though.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
This is not about Jews this is about AFRICANS and African descendants. No one is speaking about violence as that exists all over the world. Once again, you don't have a clue about what was lost because you don't have a clue about the vastness of African cultures.

Nothing is stopping "black" americans from reconnecting to their ancient cultures? Take a tour of West Africa? HAHAHA...are you kidding me? First of all, West Africa is full of many different cultures, not just one. Can you just go to Europe, chose a nation and culture and then claim it? Why then do you think that is possible in West Africa? Not to mention Central Africa since you didn't know that "black" americans descend from there as well. Today there are some controversial tests that may indicate origins, but nothing more.

One has got to be foolish to thing that taking a tour of West Africa = reconnecting to ancient cultures.

Stop acting as though West Africa is one big simplistic place. Like you said, there are hundreds of languages and cultures still thriving in West Africa just as they have been for centuries. So point out which one belongs to each African-American who walks down the street. Oh wait...that's not possible.

No one tour of West Africa will change that. STOP minimizing West and Central African cultures.
You spend a majority of your reply falsely stating that I think there is only one African language, culture, etc.

Then, oddly, you correctly point out that I, in fact, wrote regarding HUNDREDS of languages and cultures.

So you DID see that I NEVER claimed that African cultures weren't diverse but strongly implied through most of your message that I don't realize that African cultures are diverse. Strange.

I don't know if it is just that your reading comprehension skills are poor but I didn't saying "taking a tour" would solve the thousands of problems evident in the black American community. I was trying to say that getting on a plane and GOING to Africa would be a START. Yet most African-Americans don't even put in enough of an effort to do that.

Your excuse is black American indifference to Africa is because Mr. Charley beat out the ancient cultures of long dead slaves. So since a black person in 2014 won't be able to exactly pinpoint the specific culture he or she came from then just starting off by visiting the continent would be pointless.

I mean, come on!! Don't you see that you've checkmated yourself with excuses for why black Americans can't rise up from their terrible past like the Jews and Asians did?

The reason Jews were brought up, by the way, is to focus on one central fact which you can't ignore:

ALL CULTURES HAVE TERRIBLE TIMES IN THEIR HISTORIES!

Black Americans do NOT have a monopoly on "terrible pasts". Please stop it.

Getting back to the thread topic:

Don't you think that the descendents of slaves who were forced to harvest sugar cane lost connections with ancient cultures too? Yet most of the immigrants from the Caribbean THRIVE once they come to America...like I said it is CULTURE...not RACE.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM

60 posts, read 132,609 times
Quote:
Exactly. Connection to cultural heritage is key and maintaining that in the face of pressure assimilate (which equates to abandoning your culture while the majority retains their own). The genetic tests are a great development, but it seems there are still some issues with them. So the hesitation is somewhat understandable. It does seem that they are growing in popularity though.
What sort of issues are you referring to? I'm curious.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
You spend a majority of your reply falsely stating that I think there is only one African language, culture, etc.

Then, oddly, you correctly point out that I, in fact, wrote regarding HUNDREDS of languages and cultures.

So you DID see that I NEVER claimed that African cultures weren't diverse but strongly implied through most of your message that I don't realize that African cultures are diverse. Strange.

I don't know if it is just that your reading comprehension skills are poor but I didn't saying "taking a tour" would solve the thousands of problems evident in the black American community. I was trying to say that getting on a plane and GOING to Africa would be a START. Yet most African-Americans don't even put in enough of an effort to do that.

Your excuse is black American indifference to Africa is because Mr. Charley beat out the ancient cultures of long dead slaves. So since a black person in 2014 won't be able to exactly pinpoint the specific culture he or she came from then just starting off by visiting the continent would be pointless.

I mean, come on!! Don't you see that you've checkmated yourself with excuses for why black Americans can't rise up from their terrible past like the Jews and Asians did?

The reason Jews were brought up, by the way, is to focus on one central fact which you can't ignore:

ALL CULTURES HAVE TERRIBLE TIMES IN THEIR HISTORIES!

Black Americans do NOT have a monopoly on "terrible pasts". Please stop it.

Getting back to the thread topic:

Don't you think that the descendents of slaves who were forced to harvest sugar cane lost connections with ancient cultures too? Yet most of the immigrants from the Caribbean THRIVE once they come to America...like I said it is CULTURE...not RACE.
Stop screaming-via-font and exhibit some self-control. A start does not fix hundreds of years of lost cultures especially when cultures constantly evolving. We all know that cultures have terrible times history. The point is that you are highly ignorant of what was lost. "Black" Americans do not just come from one culture, but over 45 different cultures. Acknowledging that doesn't mean you fully grasp it.

The fact that you need to state that "black" Americans do not have a monopoly of terrible pasts indicates that you devalue African cultures and minimize their heritages. Further, you are insistent on ignoring the fact that the majority "black" Americans are doing far better than 50 years ago.

So like I said, stop minimizing West and Central African cultures and insisting on ignorance.

Again I will also ask, are you of Caribbean background?

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-16-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
What sort of issues are you referring to? I'm curious.
Supposedly the tests may not always be as accurate based on lack of information. It has been said to be more of a "maximum likelihood" type of determination, rather than an exact one.

This is an older article but one of many...
Out of Africa -- but From Which Tribe?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Stop screaming and exhibit some self-control. A start does not fix hundreds of years of loss when cultures are constantly evolving. We all know that cultures have terrible times history. The point is that you are highly ignorant of what was lost. "Black" Americans do not just come from one culture, but over 45 different cultures. Acknowledging that doesn't mean you fully grasp it.

The fact that you need to state that "black" Americans do not have a monopoly of terrible pasts indicates that you DEVALUE African cultures and minimize their heritages. Further, you are insistent on ignoring the fact that the majority "black" Americans are doing far better than 50 years ago.

So like I said, STOP minimizing West and Central African cultures and insisting on ignorance.
O.K. *SIGH*

Let's say that I learn about all of that which you claim I am "ignorant" of.

Let's say that now I am educated in the manner that you wish if I am going to "see the light" regarding the unique oppression that the "peoples of color" endured for centuries and so on.

How exactly would my viewpoint change?

Take Chicago for example:

This summer is likely to be another war zone where hundreds of black people will murder other black people for no reason at all.

Now that I've achieved the "proper" education in this hypothetical scenario please explain how my viewpoint will change.

How will I interpret this violence with my new found understanding of ancient cultures?

Because, as it is, I don't see the connection between a history that CAN'T BE CHANGED and a present where INDIVIDUALS EXHIBIT FREE WILL and control their own actions.

Also, please explain why the state of affairs in the African-American community seem to be unique even though (and I know you won't like this, sorry) hundreds of cultures make up American history but only one seems to be particularly chronic when it comes to fratricide.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Stop screaming-via-font and exhibit some self-control. A start does not fix hundreds of years of lost cultures especially when cultures constantly evolving. We all know that cultures have terrible times history. The point is that you are highly ignorant of what was lost. "Black" Americans do not just come from one culture, but over 45 different cultures. Acknowledging that doesn't mean you fully grasp it.

The fact that you need to state that "black" Americans do not have a monopoly of terrible pasts indicates that you devalue African cultures and minimize their heritages. Further, you are insistent on ignoring the fact that the majority "black" Americans are doing far better than 50 years ago.

So like I said, stop minimizing West and Central African cultures and insisting on ignorance.

Again I will also ask, are you of Caribbean background?
No, so yeah I guess that disqualifies me from understanding the self-inflicted wounds of African-Americans-- I get it.

I'm not Thai either so I shouldn't try to understand why Thailand is going through so much political strife right now because, y'know, I'm not Thai.

Geez.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
O.K. *SIGH*

Let's say that I learn about all of that which you claim I am "ignorant" of.

Let's say that now I am educated in the manner that you wish if I am going to "see the light" regarding the unique oppression that the "people's of color" endured for centuries and so on.

How exactly would my viewpoint change?

Take Chicago for example:

This summer is likely to be another war zone where hundreds of black people will murder other black people for no reason at all.

Now that I've achieved the "proper" education in this hypothetical scenario please explain how my viewpoint will change.

Because, as it is, I don't see the connection between a history that CAN'T BE CHANGED and a present where INDIVIDUALS EXHIBIT FREE WILL and control their own actions.

Also, please explain why the state of affairs in the African-American community seem to be unique even though (and I know you won't like this, sorry) hundreds of cultures make up American history but only one seems to be particularly chronic when it comes to fratricide.
The above just shows the lack of understanding as to how culture and heritage affects people. Again, there is really no such thing as "black" people. And frankly, when those people can cease to be simply "black" and have a better connection with their roots and culture, it will likely make for better lives for the problematic minority of African-Americans.

Sorry, what exactly is the state of affairs in the African-American "community" according to you? And secondly, why wouldn't the AA ethnic group be unique? Aren't all cultures unique in different ways?

Honestly, don't worry. I don't like or dislike it but am rather indifferent. It's quite typical.

Again, since you have yet to answer the question. Are you of Caribbean background since you seem to like to compare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies