Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The Irish were welcomed with open arms by protestants? Wow.

Tell that to the Irish and you'll be laughed out of the room.

Regarding the native American German baby...

OK...wouldn't the baby's descendants be totally free to examine German heritage?

No one on this thread has explained why blacks can't re-learn.

Just because Joe Smith from Atlanta can't pinpoint his exact family line that means he shouldn't even begin a journey of rediscovery?

I've been accused of feeling that blacks are inferior but you are the ones who speak of blacks as if they can't learn or exhibit free will.

How sad is that?
Who are "blacks?"

Don't you get that calling people "blacks" and referring to the Irish and their descendants happens to be two completely different things? Irish descendants know where their culture heritage come from. Do you know what cultures each individual so-called "black" come from?

Such a ignorant post above. Do you not get that it has long been extremely difficult for African descendants to pin point their family line first and foremost because their names and languages were completely stripped?

As if half of you don't get how family lines are traced.

I trace my lineage on my father's side to India due to my NAME. I can relearn much of the culture. That is what many Irish, German and other European descendants can do. How many African descendants can do the same for their African heritage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Who cares?

What a ridiculous world we live in. "Anti-white racism" doesn't exist among black people in this country. Rather, black people are a proud, gifted people who want to progress without interference from the most bigoted, racist, and ignorant segment of the white race. This interference has been happening since slavery. Responding to white racism doesn't make a black person racist.

Frankly, who the hell cares what "Caribbean" blacks think about black people in this country fighting against racism by the racist segment of whites? They don't have the superior perspective on the matter.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Who are "blacks?"

Don't you get that calling people "blacks" and referring to the Irish and their descendants happens to be two completely different things? Irish descendants know where their culture heritage come from. Do you know what cultures each individual so-called "black" come from?

Such a ignorant post above. Do you not get that it has long been extremely difficult for African descendants to pin point their family line first and foremost because their names and languages were completely stripped?

As if half of you don't get how family lines are traced.

I trace my lineage on my father's side to India due to my NAME. I can relearn much of the culture. That is what many Irish, German and other European descendants can do. How many African descendants can do the same for their African heritage?
As I've written before, I don't know what ultra-progressive, "proper" description-du-jour you wish for me to use in place of "blacks" so until that is made known I will refer to blacks as "blacks". If you are offended then offer an alternative.

I am beginning to understand your point:

Since it is impossible to accurately pinpoint each individual black American's family lineage then there should be no effort made for black Americans to somehow re-align themselves with the cultures of their ancestors.

In other words and in your opinion, it simply is impossible for blacks to (in the immortal words of Paris) "break the grip of shame".

Pity that I suppose.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
What a ridiculous world we live in. "Anti-white racism" doesn't exist among black people in this country. Rather, black people are a proud, gifted people who want to progress without interference from the most bigoted, racist, and ignorant segment of the white race. This interference has been happening since slavery. Responding to white racism doesn't make a black person racist.

Frankly, who the hell cares what "Caribbean" blacks think about black people in this country fighting against racism by the racist segment of whites? They don't have the superior perspective on the matter.
When you write "...want to progress without interference from the most bigoted, racist and ignorant segment of the white race" does that include refusing tax money from said group?

Isn't their money "interference" as well?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But yet they were allowed to maintain their culture, religion and language and for some reason you still can't see the difference that it makes
OK, then unless you invent a time machine to change history a terrible history will ALWAYS be a terrible history.

What are your solutions for getting past it or is it best to just wallow in misery for eternity?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
As I've written before, I don't know what ultra-progressive, "proper" description-du-jour you wish for me to use in place of "blacks" so until that is made known I will refer to blacks as "blacks". If you are offended then offer an alternative.

I am beginning to understand your point:

Since it is impossible to accurately pinpoint each individual black American's family lineage then there should be no effort made for black Americans to somehow re-align themselves with the cultures of their ancestors.

In other words and in your opinion, it simply is impossible for blacks to (in the immortal words of Paris) "break the grip of shame".

Pity that I suppose.
Thank you for showing that there are not the same alternatives for a people who have little to no link to their original, names, cultures & heritages, as there are for those you are so quick to mention in comparison. And clearly, it is your culture to refer African descendants by color alone, but you know better than to do so when it comes to Asians and their descendants. Do note that I am not offended but glad that such ignorance is so evident.

Hahahaha @ the rest of your post when you clearly chose to ignore the post below...and we both know why.

Quote:
How ignorant and narrowminded. The above is full of racial ignorance that is so intertwined in your so-called culture that you cannot see it. Africans and African descendants are diverse peoples with a myriad of experiences. There are many similarities and differences among us.

Once again, no one is "black." What is "black?" What is a "black thing?" Keep the backward racial culture/ideology to yourself. That translation comes from a culture of pure ignorance. And to answer your prior questions...

LOL. Nowhere did I state that visiting African is pointless. Something is wrong with your reading and comprehension. The point is that identifying cultural origins and rebuilding knowledge of such is going to take far more than a visit to Africa. One solutions to throw of the racial/color ideologies invented by "whites" and focus on heritage and culture.

As far the U.S., American history books largely ignore African history & cultures. That does nothing for the self-esteem of an African descended child. Virtually nothing is taught prior to European exploits, yet they know how to acknowledge the vastness of European history. For the African diaspora, the history taught in those books should be view and necessary to learn to get ahead. There must be emphasis on African history outside of the typical, close-minded American sphere. Of course, as such ignorance has been perpetuated regarding the continent, there is much undoing that must occur. But that is a major step to bettering Americans, Latinos and Caribbeans who are of African descent.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Personally I look at either you are a racist or plain stupid if you ask a question and given a valid answer and your reply is either denial or it is an excuse. That being said, why bother to ask the question if you are not going to accept the answer anyway?
I haven't been given any answers. All I get is "you are stupid" or "you are a racist".

Please point out the post # where someone (other than me) offered a solution to current problems.

Good luck finding it.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you for showing that there are not the same alternatives for a people who have little to no link to their original, names, cultures & heritages, as there are for those you are so quick to mention in comparison. And clearly, it is your culture to refer African descendants by color alone, but you know better than to do so when it comes to Asians and their descendants. Do note that I am not offended but glad that such ignorance is so evident.

Hahahaha @ the rest of your post when you clearly chose to ignore the post below...and we both know why.

Speaking of ignore...

Where is the answer to my question "what should the people I call 'blacks' be called in your opinion"?

As I keep repeating...plenty of criticism of me but NO solutions offered from the excuse gallery.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
How ignorant and narrowminded. The above is full of racial ignorance that is so intertwined in your so-called culture that you cannot see it. Africans and African descendants are diverse peoples with a myriad of experiences. There are many similarities and differences among us.

Once again, no one is "black." What is "black?" What is a "black thing?" Keep the backward racial culture/ideology to yourself. That translation comes from a culture of pure ignorance. And to answer your prior questions...

LOL. Nowhere did I state that visiting African is pointless. Something is wrong with your reading and comprehension. The point is that identifying cultural origins and rebuilding knowledge of such is going to take far more than a visit to Africa. One solutions to throw of the racial/color ideologies invented by "whites" and focus on heritage and culture.

As far the U.S., American history books largely ignore African history & cultures. That does nothing for the self-esteem of an African descended child. Virtually nothing is taught prior to European exploits, yet they know how to acknowledge the vastness of European history. For the African diaspora, the history taught in those books should be view and necessary to learn to get ahead. There must be emphasis on African history outside of the typical, close-minded American sphere. Of course, as such ignorance has been perpetuated regarding the continent, there is much undoing that must occur. But that is a major step to bettering Americans, Latinos and Caribbeans who are of African descent.
OK then... what are your solutions. You've spent a whole thread identifying the so-called ignorance of people who aren't you but you have yet to propose a solution.

Perhaps you figure complaining is a solution?

I put the idea out there that visiting Africa could be a decent START but, no, that is an ignorant idea so your turn...

Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What is really sad is that you are unable to grasp the ramifications of racism and the affect that slavery had over generations. Sadly there are blacks who are just as lost as you are
Quote:
The Irish were welcomed with open arms by protestants? Wow.

Can you tell an Irishman from a prostestant in this day and time? They like Catholics and anyone else who looks like the people in power in this country are willingly accepted without question "This day and time?" Oh...I thought we were talking about "history"
Tell that to the Irish and you'll be laughed out of the room.

Back then, but now not so much if you can even tell the difference

Regarding the native American German baby...

OK...wouldn't the baby's descendants be totally free to examine German heritage?

Why would he if he believes that he is Native American? Where would he start if he wanted to anyway, Germany is a large country He could live as a Native American or go to Germany and start researching. Its his choice...this is America after all.

No one on this thread has explained why blacks can't re-learn.

Re-learn what? What is there to re-learn since blacks been in this country for over 200 years as stolen chattle and now you think that it is so easy just to ppick up where they left off in the 1800s Never said it would be easy to research a family history if many in your family were slaves. But you can start somewhere or just come to grips that your past sucked and move on. If there is a third solution then please offer it.

Just because Joe Smith from Atlanta can't pinpoint his exact family line that means he shouldn't even begin a journey of rediscovery?

Ok, that sounds good in your mind but all that it would do is give a sense of origin, you can't just pick up for 200 years of lost time Again, STARTING a journey of self-discovery isn't itself the solution. But, dang it, you've got to START. Or not...its your choice but if you don't move forward somehow you will live your WHOLE life in one big pity party.

I've been accused of feeling that blacks are inferior but you are the ones who speak of blacks as if they can't learn or exhibit free will.

What does free will have to do with over 200 years of oppression? If blacks were freed and left alone to their own devices and everything being equal everything would have been fine. Now since racism and unfair practices against blacks have occurred and are still occurring you are trying to act it is nothing and blacks should just "shake it off" Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm saying. If blacks are waiting for history to magically change or for every, single non-black on planet Earth to be an enlightened beam of pure acceptance and tolerance then, well, y'all gonna have a long wait. But, hey...I guess permanent self-pity is an option too.

How sad is that?

What is really sad is that you are unable to grasp the ramifications of racism and the affect that slavery had over generations. Sadly there are blacks who are just as lost as you are
Racism and slavery were (and are) terrible to be sure. But, seriously, I don't know what you want or expect. 100% perfect attitudes towards blacks? Erasure of slavery from history? (better get started on that time machine)

Really...what good is harping on an impossible to change past or waiting for 0% racism going to do to help black people today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies