Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And that was my point, if you had bothered to read. There are many more people working for minimum wage than teenagers, and they're trying to support families on those wages. As I keep saying--you don't get it both ways. I don't want to hear one more post complaining about food stamps if you don't support paying people at minimum an amount so they won't starve to death when they're working full time. As I said earlier, I've been to lots of countries where there is no minimum wage, and unless you want the US to turn into a third world with sweat shops and poor families building houses out of pallet lumber and scraps of corrugated tin, then I don't want to hear any of you whine. We can do better than the third world.
Simple math to everybody in support of the minimum wage:

A loaf of bread costs $10 with an even split of $5 labor and $5 materials.

Supposedly you raise his minimum wage from $5 to $10, how much would the bread cost now?

The answer is $15 a loaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I already am. Isn't that what part of my income taxes is used for?
Keep up the good work! It's what you voted for.

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
You want to know the dirty little secret about minimum wage laws? they are a regressive tax on the poor.

Why you ask?

Because by forcing businesses to pay higher wages, you also force the business to charge higher prices for the goods and services. Those inflated prices of goods hit those with lower incomes far harder than they do the middle class and the wealthy.

Obama knows this. But he also knows the people who like the idea dont understand this and he is more interested in their VOTES than in their welfare.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Whose fault is that?

Government's fault for not allowing a property owner sell me a home I can afford to buy, thereby keeping me in rent bondage.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
You want to know the dirty little secret about minimum wage laws? they are a regressive tax on the poor.

Why you ask?

Because by forcing businesses to pay higher wages, you also force the business to charge higher prices for the goods and services. Those inflated prices of goods hit those with lower incomes far harder than they do the middle class and the wealthy.

Obama knows this. But he also knows the people who like the idea dont understand this and he is more interested in their VOTES than in their welfare.

WTF do I buy that is produced, distributed, or sold with minimum wage labor???

Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
One last thing before I go--this kind of stuff is why moderates are heading out of the republican party as fast as they can move. No reasonable person believes the things that some of you believe about abolishing the minimum wage, and it's never been part of the republican party I grew up in. I know that there's a big chunk of you that have the attitude that you'd rather lose than compromise with the D's, but the country is leaving you behind. Keep it up because you're going to be sitting alone pretty soon, and all you will accomplishment is cementing the democrats in power for a generation--the party is being branded as the party of NUTS. Is that what you want?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As always, Minimum Wage was never intended for people to raise a family of four wsith just that one job.

Nor should it ever be.

People who try to do that on a long-term basis, are abusing their families.

See //www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1796036-minimum-wage-isnt-meant-living-wage-8.html#post28228692
How many millions of jobs have been shipped overseas, 22 million? There's the elephant in the room. and don't come back with a lame excuse "well the people should open their own business" Doesn't work that way when competing against cheap communist labor run by American capitalist who socialize their losses and send their profits to off-shore accounts.

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Simple math to everybody in support of the minimum wage:

A loaf of bread costs $10 with an even split of $5 labor and $5 materials.

Supposedly you raise his minimum wage from $5 to $10, how much would the bread cost now?

The answer is $15 a loaf.

not very simple at all, especially when minimum wage stayed the same for years and yet the cost of living and the cost of products have risen.

freak this, i'm going to become a house senate so i can vote to increase my income again whilst yall fight amongst yourselves. i'll probably lower a few paychecks as well and give my reasons why.

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HowTF do you expect minimum wage workers to be able to pay for all that? They could, IF they didn't have to pay an arm and leg in the form of inflated rents for overregulated housing.

My response was not about minimum wage workers. Minimum wage workers should be teenagers and students or seniors that just want something to do to keep busy.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
You don't want people on welfare, but you don't want to pay the people who are working enough to actually take care of themselves.

What is your solution then? Not everyone has the ability to go to college and obtain a decent paying white collar job. Republicans blast people for being lazy and sitting at home and letting the government take care of them instead of working, but the people who do work still can't put food on the table working 40 hours a week.

I guess I just don't understand why some people look down their noses at people struggling to get by. It's a lot easier to save money and put money into your 401K when you aren't struggling just to feed yourself and pay for a place to live. What is there not to understand about that?

Oh and way to go calling our President a dumbass. Really respectful and mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies