Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do you get your foot in the door in the first place without certifications? When I graduated, Microsoft did not exist, hence no MSFT certifications.
Wait, wait wait. I thought you graduated just a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I also completed a minor in comp sci; I thought that was a decent backup plan. But the economy was in the tank at the time (Carter recession, Rust Belt) so employer demand was also in the tank, and enough conp sci majors were available to eet employer demand at the time. Obviously I wasn't able to predict the recession, although most conservatives probably would have made that preduction.
Carter? He was elected in 78' or so.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Manager getting 10 dollars per hour is also ridiculous. so what do you think should be the minimum wage where fast food place will close down and put them out of business??? You think with 9 dollars minimum wage, your fast food place will close down?? is there any study on that???
Managers getting $10 is obviously not ridiculous when that is what most fast food restaurants pay (thereabouts, depending on geographic region). If the managers don't like it, they can go elsewhere. I'm not talking about GMs here, I'm talking about shift runners.

As I said, I'm not an economist so I can't answer your questions, but it is very likely that places will go out of business, and it's a fact that our prices will have to go up. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What you are arguing is that black is white and white is black. You are claiming that a highly progressive federal income tax system is making the poor poorer and the rich richer, which is contrary to both logic and history. When rates on income were more progressive (e.g. higher taxes on high earners,) such as in period 1940 to 1980, there was a growing middle class and less inequality.
Who actually paid those higher rates? There were a LOT more deductions then. Furthermore, the top tax rate started at today's equivalent of $3.5 million. Even with those supposedly more progressive rates tax revenue was relatively static:

Virtually no one was paying those very high marginal tax rates.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By that logic, every small business suffered terrible losses and closed down when last time Minimum Wage was raised in 2007???
Minimum Wage Act of 2007 - July 2007

Recession - December 2007 to June 2009

There you go!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He already defaulted on student loans. No one will lend to him now.
I see. He said he already has student loans but said nothing of default. That changes things. But again, his own fault....

This is what I'm truly not understanding. Why is it necessary for the gov't to mandate that an employer pay someone more money to do menial tasks that can almost be automated at this point? Why is it okay for someone who does not desire to get ahead in life to get paid more to just do the same job, year after year? Why should we (business owners) be forced to incentivize laziness and lack of motivation?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I also completed a minor in comp sci; I thought that was a decent backup plan. But the economy was in the tank at the time (Carter recession, Rust Belt) so employer demand was also in the tank, and enough conp sci majors were available to eet employer demand at the time. Obviously I wasn't able to predict the recession, although most conservatives probably would have made that preduction.
The current unemployment rate for computer programmers is less than half of the national unemployment rate. It is one of the easiest fields to find a job in right now.

Quote:
How do you get your foot in the door in the first place without certifications? When I graduated, Microsoft did not exist, hence no MSFT certifications.
You get a job temping, get a job sorting mail, get a job in an on-site cafeteria, ANYthing. You go out to lunch with people who do what you want to do, you meet people who do work you think is interesting, you ask questions, learn everything you can from them, you volunteer to stay a few hours late and do side projects for them. They get extra work, you get experience. Then, when a job opens up, you apply and are bumped to the top of the list because the manager knows you, trusts you, and has seen your effort and productivity in the volunteer work you have done.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. He's old. And has done very little with his life, and is bitter about it.
I thought he got his degree just a few years ago after getting tired of min wage jobs. He could have worked for McD's in 78' and have a bunch of franchises by now.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You get a job temping, get a job sorting mail, get a job in an on-site cafeteria, ANYthing. You go out to lunch with people who do what you want to do, you meet people who do work you think is interesting, you ask questions, learn everything you can from them, you volunteer to stay a few hours late and do side projects for them. They get extra work, you get experience. Then, when a job opens up, you apply and are bumped to the top of the list because the manager knows you, trusts you, and has seen your effort and productivity in the volunteer work you have done.
And that's the way it's done...

Nice post!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Those who lose their jobs are mostly teens, hence not breadwinners and thus unlikely to be thrown into poverty by the loss of their part-time job.
Do you even listen to yourself at all? You've just admitted that most minimum wage jobs are for part-time, non-breadwinners. It's NOT meant to be a living wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies