Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
How'd you let that happen?

If you are working multiple jobs then they need to be steady shift work.

Not jobs with rotating shifts or changing schedules. That's like rule number one of multiple jobs, an unchanging schedule.
Right. Along with all your other rules for how everything is the person's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Kinda funny, first you say "don't have a family", then you say, "deal with it". Just HOW are you supposed to deal with a family? You got some great ideas?
I was answering a post about a CNA furthering her education, not about nursing in general.
"Get another job", blah, blah. Right.
Yeah. Get another job. And I did say don't have a family if you can't handle one.

However, if you DO have one than deal with it as an adult. Grow up and deal with it. It's not our job to save or help you on our dime.

Millions of people do it. If you or some other person CAN'T is that our fault?

Just be happy that you don't live in a country where failure equals death.

Quote:
There aren't that many jobs for CNAs; there is no particular shortage of nurse jobs right now, either. Easier said than done.
Almost all the nursing jobs I've had were/are very inflexible.
Then clearly you never worked in nursing. There is never a shortage of CNA work. Ever. In any state. Not one single time since I entered nursing in 99 have I or anyone I know failed to procure a job in less than a week. Ever...

It has the highest turnover out of any industry. Precisely because many people just can't handle it.

And there is no true shortage of nursing work at all. There is a shortage of nursing work for those with 0 experience which means you go in as an aide and move up in your facility, not just become a nurse and expect a job cold.

Quote:
Why is everything that doesn't fit into your little box of thought the person's fault?
So who's fault is it that you decided to have a family? Mine?

Jesus. The culture of irresponsibility is getting out of hand.

Unless someone raped you then the family WAS your choice, your fault and your responsibility.

Quote:
And DO NOT refer to me as "YOU people". You don't know a thing about me, and you're being very rude.
Quote:
but some of you people
You used you people first. Deal with it. Like an adult... Seriously...

Quote:
Right. Along with all your other rules for how everything is the person's fault.
Once again. A mature adult takes responsibility for their life and adapts.

Juveniles, wastrels and the lower common denominator whine about their lives or blame others.

Fact.

Maybe we should have mandatory military service so people can learn about responsibility.

Telling the truth isn't rude. Blunt? Sure. Rude? Nope...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
there is no particular shortage of nurse jobs right now, either. Easier said than done.

Now, you know that's not true. There are nursing jobs available everywhere you look. Many have a signing bonus and shift differential if you work overnights and the like. Nursing programs are in huge demand b/c of the aging population and the graduates are largely getting jobs in the fields they desire.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Right. And you're so valuable to the company that they let you work whenever you wanted. I'm sure we're talking minimum wage jobs here.
Min wage jobs are actually very flexible. Retail and restaurants come to mind. You just ask for a day off when you need it and as someone who has done my share of scheduling at these types of places, you generally will get the day off. People will quit if they don't get their time off that they ask for and it costs more to train a replacement than it does to hurt someone's feelings when they have to work a day they don't normally work to fill in. Honestly, that was never really a problem since most people are looking to pick up hours anyway.

One thing many of these places say in their job postings and interviews is that applicants should have a flexible schedule.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Now, you know that's not true. There are nursing jobs available everywhere you look. Many have a signing bonus and shift differential if you work overnights and the like. Nursing programs are in huge demand b/c of the aging population and the graduates are largely getting jobs in the fields they desire.
I'm telling you. She's not in nursing nor has she been. Not ever has shortage and CNA been used together except to describe the shortage of CNAs.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Get another job. And I did say don't have a family if you can't handle one.

However, if you DO have one than deal with it as an adult. Grow up and deal with it. It's not our job to save or help you on our dime.

Millions of people do it. If you or some other person CAN'T is that our fault?

Just be happy that you don't live in a country where failure equals death.

Then clearly you never worked in nursing. There is never a shortage of CNA work. Ever. In any state. Not one single time since I entered nursing in 99 have I or anyone I know failed to procure a job in less than a week. Ever...

It has the highest turnover out of any industry. Precisely because many people just can't handle it.

And there is no true shortage of nursing work at all. There is a shortage of nursing work for those with 0 experience which means you go in as an aide and move up in your facility, not just become a nurse and expect a job cold.

So who's fault is it that you decided to have a family? Mine?

Jesus. The culture of irresponsibility is getting out of hand.

Unless someone raped you then the family WAS your choice, your fault and your responsibility.

You used you people first. Deal with it. Like an adult... Seriously...

Once again. A mature adult takes responsibility for their life and adapts.

Juveniles, wastrels and the lower common denominator whine about their lives or blame others.

Fact.

Maybe we should have mandatory military service so people can learn about responsibility.

Telling the truth isn't rude. Blunt? Sure. Rude? Nope...
Quote:
I haven't seen signing bonuses in years. You are incorrect about the rest, too.

Quote:
I'm telling you. She's not in nursing nor has she been. Not ever has shortage and CNA been used together except to describe the shortage of CNAs.
You're wrong, rude one. I've been a nurse since 1970. I've seen some nurse surpluses. There has never been a huge shortage of nurses in the Denver area, where I have lived since 1980. You are the one who talks like you don't know squat about nursing.

Has Nursing Been Overhyped As A Career Choice? - Forbes
Nursing Shortage Is Over in U.S. Until Retirement Glut Hits - Businessweek
Nursing shortage largely a myth for job seekers | Minnesota Public Radio News
Article: No Nursing Shortage At The Present Time - General Nursing Discussion
Nursing Shortage: Is it a Case of Crying Wolf? | The Health Care Blog

Plus many more. And one more nasty comment, Anonymous, and you'll be reported.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are many people making much more than minimum wage working more than one job. Let's see now, me (side business) my wife, my daughter, my son. You are free to work as many or as few jobs as you want, but you cannot expect to have a 6 figure lifestyle on one minimum wage job. Not living within one's means is what started this whole problem with the economy when people had big fat house payments they couldn't afford and then the house lost it's value and couldn't be sold for enough to pay it off. I know plenty of people making $75,000+ that work a second job either for fun, vacation money, or to help pay for extras like a boat or nicer car. They either have no kids yet, or they are grown,
so they are not short-changing their families.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
My facility gives signing bonuses AND referral bonuses...

Quote:
You're wrong, rude one. I've been a nurse since 1970. I've seen some nurse surpluses. There has never been a huge shortage of nurses in the Denver area, where I have lived since 1980. You are the one who talks like you don't know squat about nursing.
Right... Like the nonexistent shortage?

Lol Google nursing shortage false. And by the way. I'm not saying there is no shortage of nurses which most of your posts deal with. There is no shortage of nursing JOBS.

And claiming there is a shortage of CNA jobs is just asinine. It puts the lie to every single one of your claims.

End of argument.

So like I said. Adults grow up and deal with it and DON'T whine about it or make excuses...

Deal with that.

Or even report it, but for god sakes quit making excuses for the minimum wage underclass that pops out babies they can't afford...

< Nasty Comment >

I swear, you people...

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Has Nursing Been Overhyped As A Career Choice? - Forbes
Nursing Shortage Is Over in U.S. Until Retirement Glut Hits - Businessweek
Nursing shortage largely a myth for job seekers | Minnesota Public Radio News
Article: No Nursing Shortage At The Present Time - General Nursing Discussion
Nursing Shortage: Is it a Case of Crying Wolf? | The Health Care Blog

Plus many more. And one more nasty comment, Anonymous, and you'll be reported.
I don't know how you can say that. My mom has also been an LPN or RN for as long as I've been alive and she never had trouble finding a job, and even suggested the field to me several times b/c of this fact. Once you have one of these licenses, you can get a job almost anywhere you please, and for pretty good pay. I was considering it again before I got pregnant and went through some local job postings and they were inundated with nursing jobs.

BLS agrees with me: Registered Nurses : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Anyway, to get back on topic, if one is making min wage, it really is not that hard to earn your way to something better. It just takes some careful thought, planning and saving up some money (in some cases, such as if you've defaulted on a student loan already ).

Edited to add: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nu...assistants.htm
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/li...nal-nurses.htm

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know how you can say that. My mom has also been an LPN or RN for as long as I've been alive and she never had trouble finding a job, and even suggested the field to me several times b/c of this fact. Once you have one of these licenses, you can get a job almost anywhere you please, and for pretty good pay. I was considering it again before I got pregnant and went through some local job postings and they were inundated with nursing jobs.

BLS agrees with me: Registered Nurses : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Anyway, to get back on topic, if one is making min wage, it really is not that hard to earn your way to something better. It just takes some careful thought, planning and saving up some money (in some cases, such as if you've defaulted on a student loan already ).

Edited to add: Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
It can be difficult to get a nursing job in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies