Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You are right, but I think you will find many of the posters on this forum that do not agree with you. They are the dumb asses who have always signed the back of a check, never the front of a check. If the government keeps on interfering with businesses that provide jobs, soon more jobs will be lost. Once these jobs go away, they will never come back. Unions and government regulations have driven so many jobs off shore in the last 10 years they are beginning to be missed, finally. We need to treasure the few jobs left, not drive them away... Minimum wage is nothing more than telling an employer what he has to pay workers per hour, that should be none of the governments business.
Fox talking point.
Unions and regulations have done no such thing. Reaganomics relaxed regulations, and banks-run-wild crashed the economy. Slave labor in foreign countries has drawn jobs there.
Corporations get tax breaks for moving jobs there. Democratic attempts to end these tax breaks, and bills introduced to reward them for bringing them back are blocked by republicans.
GOP senators block Dem
This is what Fox doesn't want you to know.

As long as we have democracy, we citizens are the government. Right-wingers act as though the government is a dictatorship, and they even accuse Obama of being a dictator. This is either ignorance or paranoia or both.
The only thing that keeps citizens apart from government is the power of money in the system, corporate lobbying, the republican Citizens United ruling and disproportionate influence by a moneyed elite. Then we have plutocracy, and that government is truly apart from the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Let me ask you another thing...

...How are people supposed to compete in global markets if many countries have difficult immigration policies?

..Hmm?
The wages will adjust. As demand for chinese labor goes up their wages will increase and demand/wages for Americans will go down until the world reaches an equilibrium. American low skilled workers still have an advantage in the world... their passport. A passport from Canada, USA, EU, and Australia combined with native English speaking ability is an asset. A fast food worker can go teach English in China and gain contacts into that market, eventually working their way up. Well, if the drive is there.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

So live with more. Do what is needed to support yourself. That is what the rest of us do.
Yeah, 3-4 families packed into a 1 BR apt. Just what we need. A return to tenement living.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
yes, I think you can work more than 40 hours per week. I have personally worked between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years. I have very little respect for people who make excuses as you do instead of actually finding a way to make something of themselves.

I have worked and studied between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years to insure I could be successful. People either make excuses or try harder to make something of themselves. It isn't "hard to get 40 hours in minimum wage jobs". Why the hell are you ever late to your job? Why do you leave early? Take some ownership of your own life and show up to work on time. That is a pretty basic part of being a productive member of society.

WhereTF did you get the idea I don't show up to work on time??????????????????????????????????????

WhereTF did you get the idea that I leave early? I have a freaking SHIFT job. I literally cannot leave until my relief (the employee working the next shift) shows up. That person is often late and sometimes I have to work a double shift (next employee doesn't show up at all).

Of course I *CAN* work more than 40 hours, but HowTF do I get from home to Job 1 to Job 2 and back home (with maybe a medical appointment the same day) without a car? As it is now it takes me over an hour to get to my job.

And what do I do when I'm scheduled to work two jobs at the same time on the same day? This has actually happened to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Oh great, raise the minimum wage and allow some CEO's pay to go from $30 million a year way down to $25 million a year?

Unacceptable. Trickle up has proved to be just the ticket to a healthy economy. Just look around you. Most everyone is singing in the rain.

Speak for yourself, Gene.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And yet there are about 3 million well paying, full time jobs with benefits that are not filled each year, despite unemployment. The employers end up importing qualified people. Engineering, IT and Actuarials have no problem finding employment.

It's an apptitude thing. Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work no matter education or motivation.

Speaking of aptitude, my math SAT score is top 1%, where do I sign up?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Guess they have two options: Since there is 24 hours in a day, maybe they need to work longer hours if they have not educated themselves to the point where they can live on what they make. Option #2, move to China where the jobs are. You can bet your boots they won't be making any $10 an hour there, they will be paid closer to what they are worth.

It is not the governments place to support those people who live beyond their means. As a tax payer why would I want to pay someone who was too lazy to get an education and a better paying job? As far as I'm concerned if you don't work, you don't eat.

Option #3, let the free market operate in housing so that these workers can enjoy a lower cost of living.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Imo, if you make minimum wage, you need to work *more* than 40 hours a week to make it livable, even as a single person *if* you don't take the benefits the government has to offer.

If you're a single person working 40 (or more) hours a week, the government has no benefits to offer.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then that single person should go learn a skill so that they get more than minimum wage.

Sounds good to me, where do I sign up?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds good to me, where do I sign up?
I'm pretty sure people on this board have told you at least 5 different options this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies