Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How about we just give college graduates a $2 raise? You know, how there's supposedly a high economic return to education and such.

If the unskilled dropouts want a raise they can go to college.
So now people that didn't go to college are unskilled dropouts? For your information, I am HIGHLY skilled, self taught, and make far more than minimum wage. Yes, I could have continued on with my college education beyond 2 years, but realized that college didn't prepare me for the job I wanted, and getting just any degree would be a waste.

I'll put my skill up against any college education person ANY day. In fact, a friend's 30 year old son does the same work that I do. He's got 4 years of college under his belt. Sadly, it's in a field that is useless. So while I work for a good company, making a nice living, he's working at Kinkos, trying to learn those skills that I've spent a lifetime honing. He's far more talented than I am, but wasn't smart enough to figure out that a major in Music, with a Japanese minor means, you'll be working at Kinkos for not much more than minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I just Asked Jeeves (TM) and below is the first hit I got. The first page was full of liberal sources; I guess conservatives don't care much to talk about this.

STUDY: One In Four Private Sector Workers Earn Less Than $10 An Hour | ThinkProgress
Or the search engine you use is rigged. I realize you were just being a smart aleck but I believe Google was actually caught doing this a while back - purposely prioritizing liberal results when political terms were searched on.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I could be considered a Northeast liberal, although here in the N.E. I am not exactly in the mainstream of thought.
It steamed me when I saw a pundit on MSNBC say that one cannot support a family on minimum wage. No shi-t, Sherlock. When I was making minimum wage in my first job at 16, $1.60/hr., I am quite sure no one working full-time with a family at that wage was supporting said family on it. I gather it was meant strictly so people wouldn't bid a job down to "will work for food."
As for the occasional liberal statement that low-paid workers cannot afford to buy products, well, business doesn't exist that way. If they can't afford the products, they won't buy them. Henry Ford's supposed plan to pay enough for his workers to buy the cars isn't the only business model available. If people cannot afford to buy things, they won't. The prices will either fall, or production will be cut, or only people who can afford the original prices will buy the products. Seems pretty simple. No one sets their wage scale by whether or not that worker can buy the product. Not on a global scale.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It should certainly be enough to support the worker himself though.
do you agree?
No. I've worked full-time now since 1969 (through school many times) and I have not thought that the wage is owed me to support myself. It's what the job is worth to the employer and its business. This is not "each according to his need, from each according to his ability." I'm no screaming leftist, I don't think, but I am surprised to have to point out that jobs are not for the need of the worker, but the need of the business.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's all one and the same.
If you can't see the error of that statement...

Notice Haiti. Before the earthquake, schools just collapsed on people, because the owners built whatever with whatever and no oversight at all.

When my house was built, there were absurd requirements from the building inspector (this being a small town in Massachusetts, after all). The front door was 1/4" too high from the porch. Really. This is absurd, but the general requirements for proper construction were completely reasonable and I'm glad they exist.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
They aren't the same, and suggesting they are shows an amazing lack of understanding of the issues.

Housing regulations deal with the size & density of housing that is allowed to be built, and with the safety and structural requirements. They are, for the most part, local. Created & enforced by each town according to their resources, needs, desires and decisions.
Perhaps you can explain to HUD that when one talks about Housing regulations it only means your narrow definition.

Affordable Housing Laws and Regulations - Affordable Housing - CPD- HUD

Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wooh

cant agree with this

Housing regulations aka building and occupancy code are at local and state level and are based of many CIVIL factors especially safety

banking regulations and rules are set by HUD/FANNIE/FREDDIE and they enforce WHO may be given a loan, and based on WHAT criterior
See my above post.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Raise the minimum wage, and you'll get layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation.

But since according to Obama, if we raise the wage, everything will be good. So if that's the case, raise it. And if you're making minimum wage, you don't qualify for welfare or food stamps. I think that's a fair trade.
Stop repeating right wing bull crap!

No, raising the minimum wage to what they are proposing WILL NOT lower unemployment.

Minimum Wage Economics - NYTimes.com

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Objective evidence that raising the minimum wage to what they are proposing will not lower unemployment.

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...ge-2013-02.pdf

I swear, white guys like myself that buy into right wing BS fiscal policy have to be one of the most stupid groups on the planet.

You either have really, really, low IQ's or you just don't have any balls to stick up for yourself.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Stop repeating right wing bull crap!

No, raising the minimum wage to what they are proposing WILL NOT lower unemployment.

Minimum Wage Economics - NYTimes.com
Sorry. When you're proof is a lefty kook spewing marxist propaganda, I'm going to call bull. So please, stop linking the left wing bull crap!

And you are right - raising the minimum wage will not lower unemployment. But since we WANT lower unemployment, we should raise it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies