Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,210,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Local 2 investigates Texas secession movement | News - Home

Awesome. Poor wittle "constitutional law professor" has his panties in a bunch. Amusing to see.
Surely Rick Perry is onboard with secessionist talk.
Quote:
President Obama says Gov. Perry used stimulus fund to help balance budget, then started 'blaming' federal lawmakers who voted for legislation
PolitiFact Texas | President Obama says Gov. Perry used stimulus fund to help balance budget, then started 'blaming' federal lawmakers who voted for legislation

Where would Texas get their money from afterwards? after secession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,174,837 times
The petition on the WhiteHouse dot gov website was entered by a freshman at University of Texas - somewhere. That effort spurred a lot of attention which resulted in a large increase in membership at the Texas Nationalist Movement organization. TNM has been promoting the effort of Texas secession far longer than Bobama has been on the national political scene.

TNM has now submitted a petition to the Texas legislature - which meets for about two months only and only every other year. It happens that the legislature is currently in session. The submitted petition is to allow a referendum to determine the actual interest of Texas voters in a secession discussion. Some legislators have requested proof that there are enough Texas residents interested in a secession to allow said referendum. I have made the call to said legislators who indicate there has been a large response.

We should have some results within a few weeks.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM

14,880 posts, read 8,491,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
waa, waa, Obama won an election, waa, waa...
Wow, what an informative, intelligent, adult response. You should run for congress.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM

20,391 posts, read 12,292,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
If you really want a rule to force a participant to use a name suitable to your sensibilities then you are NOT a conservative.
I suppose you didnt read the last line of my post....

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM

14,880 posts, read 8,491,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Surely Rick Perry is onboard with secessionist talk.

PolitiFact Texas | President Obama says Gov. Perry used stimulus fund to help balance budget, then started 'blaming' federal lawmakers who voted for legislation

Where would Texas get their money from afterwards? after secession.
Where do you think the Federal government gets the money to give back? The clue here is "give back".

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM

20,391 posts, read 12,292,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, he's just a Southerner tired of cliches like Rebelyell and his ilk. I can't say I blame him. I'm a Southerner, raised by Southerners, and the cliche got old a long time ago.

We're not all dixiecrats, we're not the Beverly Hillbillies or Bo and Luke Duke, we don't all call for secession and we're comprised of conservative, liberal and moderate political ideologies, much like the rest of the country.

The only difference is, our food is better.
Amen! especially about our food.
yesterday I had a fried crawfish po-boy smothered in etouffee.... wow...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,046,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Amen! especially about our food.
yesterday I had a fried crawfish po-boy smothered in etouffee.... wow...

Daaaamn! Food of the gods.

I'm in the mood for a good bowl of shrimp and grits...

Or soup beans and cornbread.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They better hurry up before demographics are against them. In 2011 Texas was 39% Hispanic.
Texas is also 12.2% Black, 4% Asian, and 1% Native American. In addition, you also have many Whites who will not support secession as well. Texas is majority-minority, but it is important to remember that you have many Whites in Texas who would like to remain part of the USA.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,046,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I suppose you didnt read the last line of my post....

Short attention span syndrome.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,421,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Yeah, would be. Cause then you'd have to leave it in Texas and pay Texas corporations to refine the stuff. Or Texas could just revert to its old motto, 'Let the bastards freeze in the dark'
I guess you've never heard of the Bakken formation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies