Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times

Advertisements

I'm still laughing at the lying OP who claims $1.30 per meal (at the max pay out) buys people all the steak and lobster they can eat. I'm not sure how someone becomes that delusional but it sure is funny when you run across someone who is that disconnected from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I can never understand why people pick on what others do with their food stamps. why do you all complain when you are the lucky ones?
do you think any of us actually want to be on food stamps? a) what good will food do a person anyway? sure I like eating but it's not what important to me..you eat it then it's gone. you can't keep it b) restaurants do not take EBT

but yes the govt sucks, they just all suck period so don't go saying that like things would have been any better under Romney. they need to stop enabling people like me to be dependent and somehow make it so we can get a job in our field. I want real money not crappy EBT and I am willing to work in a tolerable job to get it but I hear you can't even get a crappy job like mcdonald's without jumping through hoops.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Let me help yuou wipe away some of your obvious confusion.

NOBODY is telling, or advocating that they be told, what they can or can't eat.

(re-read that until you understand it completely, then move on to next line)

What we ARE telling them is what they CAN"T buy with our money taken from us and used to subsidize their sloth.

(fre-read that several times until you "get it".

Class over.
it's exactly the same thing

ie: you cannot eat lobster

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
So, who will be the decider of what the poor shall or shall not eat ? You ?!? If someone receiving food assistance is allotted a certain sum each month, who are YOU to say that he shall eat three meals of beans, rather than one meal of steak ? It's not your money. It's not your life. Why is it that you wing-nut repugnicans want the government out of people's lives, unless it's someone else's life ? Your hypocrisy is astonishing in its vulgarity.
Top post - Conservatives are the true hypocrites of the World.

They bleat and whine about BIG govt yet even try telling people what they can eat

next we'll be fed a line that the Bible outlaws food stamp recipients eating shellfish - that would be novel

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
What I see many people on food stamps buying isn't lobster or prime rib - foods that require WORK to prepare, but chips, soda and fatty lunch meats and other things that do not need cooking.
Restricting food stamps to healthy, basic foods isn't telling people what to eat, it's saying, "here is some free food if you need it, take it or leave it". What's wrong with that?
Telling people what to eat is so Nanny State.

Conservative govt. = Nanny State

Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
BTW I get my lobsters for free. I catch them with my lobster hoop nets usually on a Saturday morning bright and early.

I usually cut them in half length wise then BBQ over a fire made from grape vines (they impart a nice flavor plus the vines have to be trimmed so often you end up with a lot of extra grape vines). I baste them in home made sauce made from melted butter, chardonnay wine, garlic, a splash of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. It's good stuff as you're practically sauteing them in the half shell over the open fire. Lovely, especially with some freshly caught clams and some goose neck barnacles (percebes). It's all freely available at the beach with a fishing permit.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 02-15-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 AM

well, if you're on food stamps then you'd better throw them back in the water.

otherwise you'd be leeching

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Conservative govt. = Nanny State
No.

There's nothing wrong with being conservative when it comes to giving
out money. When it comes to food, having guidelines for ounces and
price per pound limits makes sense to me. That's why they post them at stores

And let's face it, home economic knowledge is lacking today.
What I could do with 100 dollars to feed a family of four for a week
would be totally different than the fast food crowd.

I could feed an army on rice, lemons, chicken broth and some eggs.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
BTW I get my lobsters for free. I catch them with my lobster hoop nets usually on a Saturday morning bright and early.

I usually cut them in half length wise then BBQ over a fire made from grape vines (they impart a nice flavor plus the vines have to be trimmed so often you end up with a lot of extra grape vines). I baste them in home made sauce made from melted butter, chardonnay wine, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon. It's good stuff as you're practically sauteing them in the half shell over the open fire. Lovely, especially with some freshly caught clams and some goose neck barnacles (percebes). It's all freely available at the beach with a fishing permit.
Sounds wonderful - would make a great food network show

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No.

There's nothing wrong with being conservative when it comes to giving
out money.
well, there's being fiscally conservative and then there's telling people what they can't eat.

not the same thing at all, and let's remember that the price of a food stamp is the same whether you spend it on lobster or beef.

no, it's all about control, and making sure the poor cannot have any enjoyment.

Clearly the Cons want to maintain the pathos of distance par excellence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies