Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
First, President Obama doesn't have a magic wand whereby he can fix the mess it took premeditated and conscious destruction of the economy by applying laissez-faire and Republican ideology over 30+ years. If he did, he'd have waved it, and voila! Instant fix! Second, the Repukes have not disappeared. They're still there, digging their heels, wanting more and more of the laissez-faire, Republican ideology applied that has turned our country into one chaotic mess. They like what it's done to our country, so hey, why not have MORE of it? So they refuse to deal, refuse to budge, refuse to talk, refuse to anything. They just want total destruction.

Maybe I should write President Obama a letter and tell him right wingnuts want him to fix their 30+ years of mess in a couple of years, AND with total resistance from the wingnuts. Hey, maybe David Copperfield might have some tricks up his sleeve to fix this Republican mess asap?

Lets assume the low income pay $1500(which is on the high end) annually in Federal income tax.
Lets assume the average person gets $100(on the low end) in F/S. Thats $1200 a year. That leaves $300. Most low income will get more than that back on their tax return. Especially single parents. They get much more than that back

Take a friend of mine for example(single mother). She get $150 a month in F/S. Thats $1800. She just got $5000 for her tax return. Thats $6800 vs the maybe $1500 she has paid in. Now she needs that $150 in F/S. No doubt. As do many others. I have no problem with that.
But she has cost the taxpayer around $5300. Now she's very good with that money. She spreads it out over the year and uses it for living expenses. Many just blow it like they hit the lottery.

Now what about the single moms that don't work and get those tax credits, section 8/HUD, F/S and cash assistance??

47 million people on food stamps are getting FAR more than they contribute. The middle class is the smallest class in the U.S.. No way they can make up the difference of what is being paid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't know, I kinda thought the welfare check was quite a bit less than I made per year, and hell, I can't afford steaks and lobsters daily. Maybe I'd make more if I got on welfare?!?!

Its NOT always less. They do get back more than what they, you and I combined contribute though.

Many people that get Hud/Section 8, F/S and cash assistance get more than a min wage job.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post

Now what about the single moms that don't work and get those tax credits, section 8/HUD, F/S and cash assistance??
Somebody not working will not be filing an income tax return and so will not get a refund.

Unless, of course, he or she worked part of the year.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Somebody not working will not be filing an income tax return and so will not get a refund.

Unless, of course, he or she worked part of the year.

Not true. We had a girl living in the apt. below us, had 3 kids, didn't work and got all the above. She posts on FB calling this time of year Taxmas...
Last year she got $7800 back! Maybe State?? I dunno. But she got money.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Given how often you've been caught lying about these personal anecdotes what makes you believe your current claim is any more creditable than your previous half dozen?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Given how often you've been caught lying about these personal anecdotes what makes you believe your current claim is any more creditable than your previous half dozen?

I have no reason to lie. Not like it benefits me in any way. I really don't care what you think though. I'm not going to paste their FB links in a public forum.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Lets assume the low income pay $1500(which is on the high end) annually in Federal income tax.
Lets assume the average person gets $100(on the low end) in F/S. Thats $1200 a year. That leaves $300. Most low income will get more than that back on their tax return. Especially single parents. They get much more than that back

Take a friend of mine for example(single mother). She get $150 a month in F/S. Thats $1800. She just got $5000 for her tax return. Thats $6800 vs the maybe $1500 she has paid in. Now she needs that $150 in F/S. No doubt. As do many others. I have no problem with that.
But she has cost the taxpayer around $5300. Now she's very good with that money. She spreads it out over the year and uses it for living expenses. Many just blow it like they hit the lottery.

47 million people on food stamps are getting FAR more than they contribute. The middle class is the smallest class in the U.S.. No way they can make up the difference of what is being paid out.
You've focused only on food.

There are multiple expenses a human being has, and one with children has COUNTLESS extra expenses. I could type out a list but I'm sure so could you. Before typing this out, I dialed my sister, since she has kids, and asked her what she bought today, and she said she bought shoes for 1 of her boys, food of all kinds (outside of her weekly shopping trip), 2 notebooks for her kids, tampons, knitting yarn for one of her daughters, bulbs and batteries, a new Corning Ware casserole dish to replace one that broke, and a new window blind. Yesterday she had 3 co-pays at the doctor, and a prescription to pay for, as well as lemons and avocados. Today her husband bought an update to the tax program, yesterday he paid for a fast food lunch, and the oil and lube of his car. There are multiple expenses human beings have, which we ignore in others, but are very much aware of in our own lives.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:

Actually because they are on the low end of the financial spectrum the government can count on all of the money that they get to go directly back into the economy. A wealthy person who gets "extra" money has options, they can spend it on things that they don't need (rarely), they can reinvest it (possibly), or they can hoard it for a rainy day in some overseas bank(likely). The poor and most middleclass people do not have these options they have to spend the money on things that they need now or bills. So in a sense all that they are doing is getting money only to put it right back into the economy.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
When you are sucking on the welfare teat you shouldn't be enjoying luxuries.
Does that apply to the working poor as well? Or are you saying that only the well-off should be able to splurge on the things that they want?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually because they are on the low end of the financial spectrum the government can count on all of the money that they get to go directly back into the economy. A wealthy person who gets "extra" money has options, they can spend it on things that they don't need (rarely), they can reinvest it (possibly), or they can hoard it for a rainy day in some overseas bank(likely). The poor and most middleclass people do not have these options they have to spend the money on things that they need now or bills. So in a sense all that they are doing is getting money only to put it right back into the economy.
There's a saying for the way the working poor end up living: "hand-to-mouth." Whatever money they have in the hand, gets spent on basic living expenses right away, and there's very often a deficit. Many people have no money for food, rent, electricity, transportation, etc. at the end of the month or the week. Many live much worse and not even hand-to-mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies