Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Are the other programs only for certain groups of students? It should have never gotten to the point of having to be clarified. If these parents feel the need to only tutor minorities then do it in their homes. Pretty sad example being set by the parents who run this group IMO.
So you must very much disagree with having organizations like the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Never heard of em. Do they only allow certain minorities to join?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Never heard of em. Do they only allow certain minorities to join?
Really? I find it hard to believe you've never hear of the Fellowship of Christian athletes? Did you not go to a US high school between the years of 1958-2013?

And I think you can pretty much figure out who they let in and who they don't.

Last edited by hammertime33; 02-15-2013 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Yep I did and never heard of em. My kids went to catholic school up until sixth grade and I coached many of their teams and never heard of em. Maybe I should pay attention more at all the ridiculous coaches meetings?? LOL

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,435,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do not see the words "of color" in the principal's letter.
Here is a snapshot of it from the news:

Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Are the other programs only for certain groups of students? It should have never gotten to the point of having to be clarified. If these parents feel the need to only tutor minorities then do it in their homes. Pretty sad example being set by the parents who run this group IMO.
I don't see any problem with it at all. It recognizes an acute problem and seeks to address it.

Cherry Creek School District is a primarily white, primarily upper middle class district. However, it does have a roughly 15% poor, minority population. The white students are much higher achievers. I can attest to this first hand.

I went to the "ghetto" Cherry Creek high school (Overland if you must know) with the highest minority population (60% white). The divide was astounding. My black friends where mostly dirt poor, and my white friends were mostly welloff (they included the kids of the guy who founded Quiznos for instance). Of the 50 or so honors/AP students in my graduating class, 1 was black and 1 was Hispanic - the rest were white (and many went to school like Stanford, MIT, Notre Dame, etc). For most of the black students, just graduating was a struggle.

I see no problem whatsoever with the parents of minority students recognized this underachievement and forming a group that tries to address it. If they want to devote their time and resources - even if it takes place on school grounds - to tutoring underachieving, primarily minority students, I think that's fantastic. It's not like the white students are lacking in any opportunities or resources.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Not all white students are though. This group is cutting out those white kids who can't hack it. Hey I got no problem with helping out kids who are underachieving but these folks only want to help a certain group of students and not all of them. You can put up statistics but if your helping one kid that is all that matters in the end I don't care what color they are. That is the problem with this entire situation. They should care about all the kids not a certain group. Hey if the privileged kids don't need help or their parents are rolling in money and hire a tutor they won't be signing up anyway.

You are of the opinion that all white students have a silver spoon in their mouths with your last comment. Many may but I doubt all do. I live in a pretty nice district and a lot of kids are well off but there are many who aren't also.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Not all white students are though. This group is cutting out those white kids who can't hack it. Hey I got no problem with helping out kids who are underachieving but these folks only want to help a certain group of students and not all of them. You can put up statistics but if your helping one kid that is all that matters in the end I don't care what color they are. That is the problem with this entire situation. They should care about all the kids not a certain group. Hey if the privileged kids don't need help or their parents are rolling in money and hire a tutor they won't be signing up anyway.

You are of the opinion that all white students have a silver spoon in their mouths with your last comment. Many may but I doubt all do. I live in a pretty nice district and a lot of kids are well off but there are many who aren't also.
It's not true that they're cutting out white kids. White kids are welcome too. Not to mention I guarantee the school has other tutoring programs poor achieving white kids and their parents can take advantage of.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not true that they're cutting out white kids. White kids are welcome too. Not to mention I guarantee the school has other tutoring programs poor achieving white kids and their parents can take advantage of.
Well that's not the point. Do the other programs only allow whites? Is there one for asians? The entire thing promotes racism because I guarantee you somebody is gonna say well hell if they got a program for only blacks then I'm gonna start one for only whites and on and on. The principal said if they had room your white kid can come. If they don't have room I guess your out of luck. This is the stuff a school of all places are supposed to be stopping not promoting is my point.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Well that's not the point. Do the other programs only allow whites? Is there one for asians?
Again, while focused on increasing minority achievement, whites are welcome. You keep speaking as if they're not.

Quote:
The entire thing promotes racism because I guarantee you somebody is gonna say well hell if they got a program for only blacks then I'm gonna start one for only whites and on and on.
It doesn't promote racism. It's an attempt to remedy a problem that's come about due to generational racism and racial oppression. And no such "whites only" programs are going to be formed in retaliatory response. The PASS program has been around for years and no such thing has occurred. This area is not populated with a bunch insecure bigots who view race as an us vs. them construct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies