Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What does his being Republican have to do with anything? Are only Republicans responsible for inaccurate stories? You undermine your own credibility when you feel the need to stick "Republican" in there. You just come off as the same sort of biased person with an axe to grind as the guy you're complaining about.
Not quite, but nice try - LOL. It's relevant because the OP is a hardcore rightie, so when THEY post an obviously-biased Republican site it's suspect. If a hardcore leftie had cited a Republican writer as their source, I'd be much more likely to take it seriously (and vice versa). Never said only Republicans post innacurate stories, that was your own conclusion!

P.S. I have no idea who that writer is, so I Googled his name when I noticed a suspicious ad/banner on their website. When I found his bio, it described him specifically as a "conservative Republican filmmaker, who has called for an overthrow of the US Government." Don't blame the messenger for pointing out the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well from what I read in this thread the principal was backtracking to "clarify" his position and you folks were whining about sources like usual. That is pretty much all you do anymore so no surprise. I didn't condemn anyone just called the principal what he was........an idiot.
So, why is he an idiot? And we have every right to "complain about sources," when the source is biased and loaded with inaccurate & dishonest conclusions. This guy sounds like the Republican version of Michael Moore, and if I'd posted an inflammatory thread with Moore as my source, you guys would totally call me out for that - you know it, I know it, so spare me the self-righteous nonsense.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I saw the story live (both yesterday and the follow up story today). I've watched the 6:30 Denver CBS4 newscast everyday for decades.

I don't find anything wrong with his message. PASS is a parent organization made up of the parents of minority students whose mission is closing the academic achievement gap between minority and non-minority students by improving the academic performance of minority students. I don't see anything wrong with PASS having a tutoring program targeted primarily at poor achieving minority students.

His message was factual: The flyer was incorrect. PASS focuses on tutoring underachieving minority students, but will take underachieving white kids too space providing.
First they complain about underperforming minority students, and blame many of the low-income communities' problems on that issue - then when a group tries to directly address the problem, they call it discriminatory? I'd say "you can't win with some folks," but at the same time I can't help feeling they WANT this demographic to falter. Know what I'm saying?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
They tried something in NYC although they didn't explicitly ban Whites and Asians. Blacks whined that they couldn't get into selective public high schools which are solely based on test scores. One reason given was the cost of tutoring service more affluent kids received. Ok maybe there is something to that. So the city opened tutoring services free of charge to prepare for the entrance exams. Well guess who makes up nearly half of the students being tutored at these city run centers? Hint they aren't Black.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First they complain about underperforming minority students, and blame many of the low-income communities' problems on that issue - then when a group tries to directly address the problem, they call it discriminatory? I'd say "you can't win with some folks," but at the same time I can't help feeling they WANT this demographic to falter. Know what I'm saying?
First they say in order to close minority achievement gap, minority kids must learn in an integrated environment. Now some folks want no Whites in the room. You can't win with some folks.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
First they say in order to close minority achievement gap, minority kids must learn in an integrated environment. Now some folks want no Whites in the room. You can't win with some folks.
Do you understand the concept of a "target audience" in marketing? We often apply that technique in my line of work, and it in NO way means other people aren't wanted... it just means that you try appealing to a specific demographic, usually one with either the strongest need (for your service/product) or strongest presence in your community. I'm sure children of all races were welcomed, if anything they just weren't the targeted audience.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Can you believe such a thing could ever happen to these white kids wanting after school tutoring? This guy is basically wanting to 'segregate' the white students. What do any of you think of this?

Click on the CBS4 newslink to watch their news report.
Racist Colorado Elemenatary School Bans White Students From Receiving After-School Tutoring « Pat Dollard

School choice would fix that problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not true that they're cutting out white kids. White kids are welcome too. Not to mention I guarantee the school has other tutoring programs poor achieving white kids and their parents can take advantage of.
Seems to me that we have decided that "separate but equal" wasn't a valid concept. No, they are not cutting out white kids but that is only because someone spoke up.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Though the title is misleading, this is inappropriate for a public institution. If there is a private program that sponsors something like this in the community, then that would be more acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies