Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well, it's true...

I want you to say that American was founded by outsiders – say that – who are today’s insiders, who are very nervous about today’s outsiders. I want you to say, ‘The pilgrims were illegal aliens.’ Say, ‘The pilgrims never gave their passports to the Indians.’” Betances also asked the audience, “Give me a bam,” after these statements, to which the audience replied in unison.

BAM!
Well that's just genius isn't it.

And look what happened to the Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
What's the problem? I'm a true conservative...and see no issue with this. Why are people so adamant not to acknowledge this?

A required "cultural sensitivity" class for adults is stupid enough in it's own right. But to require participants to bang on the table and chant "pilgrims were illegal aliens"? You have no problem with? Do you thing the participants are in pre-school? On top of everything else wrong with this, I have a real problem with my tax dollars paying for both this idiot of an instructor, and even more so for the hours the participants were in class. If they didn't have anything meaningful to do and could take time off from doing their jobs for this, we can use a few less government employees.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
The truth is that we are all here now and have to learn to live together. Stop whining and complaining about people telling the truth.
Who has learned to live together? Its very divided. Clearly you don't get out much. Hispanics in Southern California want all Blacks out of Southern Cali. The list goes on.

Quote:
It's clearly not meant in a literal sense. The whole point is that they came to a land that did not belong to them...and actually forced their way into being a majority.
Whats wrong with coming? Who said they couldn't? Where is your anger for other South American countries?

Quote:
If Native Americans had immigration laws, how in the world would we know anyway? Do you speak any of their languages? Are you familiar with their cultures?
So there were not other countries who had immigration laws & other countries that spoke other languages?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Who has learned to live together? Its very divided. Clearly you don't get out much. Hispanics in Southern California want all Blacks out of Southern Cali. The list goes on.

Whats wrong with coming? Who said they couldn't?

So there were not other countries who had immigration laws & other countries that spoke other languages?
Oh goodness, please. Everyone in California is not ignorant. Do you know all Hispanics? Did they all tell you they want Blacks out? People need to grow up and get it together.

In terms of the past, like I said...they came here and forced their way into being the majority. Stop whining because someone is being truthful about it.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A required "cultural sensitivity" class for adults is stupid enough in it's own right. But to require participants to bang on the table and chant "pilgrims were illegal aliens"? You have no problem with? Do you thing the participants are in pre-school? On top of everything else wrong with this, I have a real problem with my tax dollars paying for both this idiot of an instructor, and even more so for the hours the participants were in class. If they didn't have anything meaningful to do and could take time off from doing their jobs for this, we can use a few less government employees.
It is stupid because it should not be an issue. I have no problem with it because the majority of Americans are treated like pre-schoolers in terms of their history. Tell them the truth, and they can't handle it. They are up in arms complaining about something like this. It happened. The outsiders did become the insiders.

I have a problem with my tax dollars paying for one set of people who have been spoon-fed history. It's laid out on a silver platter for the majority, so that they can feel good. Stop that, and we can stop this.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
No problem with a "cultural sensitivity" class... it's good employment practice in an inter-connected world.

Pilgrims being illegals... well... a bit of a stretch, the world did not operate then as it does now. Kinda need a law to break to be an "illegal." Illegal immigration is an entirely different subject than regular immigration.

The first settlers should have definitely treated the natives better. I wonder what the country would look like today, Perhaps it was an inevitable clash of civilizations.

In the end, however, it wasn't maltreatment that led to their diminished numbers, but diseases (and no, not talking about Small Pox Blankets).... 95% of the indigenous population of natives killed by disease.

Was THAT result inevitable? Would the "old world" (be it Africa, Asia or Europe) stayed away forever?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,437,874 times
Quote:
The whole point is that they came to a land that did not belong to them.
NO........the damn Indians DID NOT own the land when the Pilgrims arrived.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
NO........the damn Indians DID NOT own the land when the Pilgrims arrived.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night. At the end of the day, it was their land, not the Pilgrims land.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,437,874 times
Quote:
Whatever makes you sleep better at night. At the end of the day, it was their land, not the Pilgrims land.
You're full of it. For one thing, they were basically Nomads. The Indians did NOT have a common culture, language or borders which are the ingredients to a nation. The White European English are the original Americans because they established and created this nation. And you can't deny that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies