Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm with GuynTexas. 100%. The amount of unwavering denseness is nuts.
It really is mind boggling isn't it? What's really scary is if you should ever be accused of a crime ... you might want to think hard about a jury trial, unless you've got a crack defense team with jury selection experts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't typically do this, but I agree with GuyNTexas almost 100%.

Come on people. If two kids and their father were pushing their car down the side of a freeway in the middle of the day the likely reaction would be, "what are those idiots doing? They're going to get killed."

The conditions described in this story seem even worse.

The alcohol almost certainly played a role.
The circumstances certainly played a role as well.
Though it is impossible to say whether alcohol contributed to the accident, since only one side of the story is now available ... what can be stated as an undeniable fact is ... had this man not been pushing his broken truck on a dark road at night, the accident would absolutely never have happened. Had he simply pushed the vehicle off to the side of the road, and attended to it in the morning ... his kids would be alive, and he would not be in prison.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Though it is impossible to say whether alcohol contributed to the accident, since only one side of the story is now available ... what can be stated as an undeniable fact is ... had this man not been pushing his broken truck on a dark road at night, the accident would absolutely never have happened. Had he simply pushed the vehicle off to the side of the road, and attended to it in the morning ... his kids would be alive, and he would not be in prison.
It appears that he was out of gas, but makes no mention of the vehicle lights.

Tests showed Banda's blood alcohol was twice the legal limit when his Chevrolet Malibu rear-ended the Barajas' family's Ford 250 truck that had run out of gas on an unlit county road near Alvin, investigators said. The inebriated driver failed to swerve or even apply his brakes before plowing into the truck and crushing Barajas' sons, David Jr., 12, and Caleb, 11.

Shortly after the accident, Barajas told relatives that he could not recall anything beyond rushing to the aid of his sons.

"It was worse than any movie scene because it was real," Barajas' brother, Gabriel, said. "The next thing my brother remembered was waking up in a hospital naked" after his clothing, drenched in his sons' blood, had been removed.

Father indicted in death of drunk driver - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
^^^

You still cannot just go shooting people after the fact. That kind of vigilantism is counter productive.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It appears that he was out of gas, but makes no mention of the vehicle lights.

Tests showed Banda's blood alcohol was twice the legal limit when his Chevrolet Malibu rear-ended the Barajas' family's Ford 250 truck that had run out of gas on an unlit county road near Alvin, investigators said. The inebriated driver failed to swerve or even apply his brakes before plowing into the truck and crushing Barajas' sons, David Jr., 12, and Caleb, 11.

Shortly after the accident, Barajas told relatives that he could not recall anything beyond rushing to the aid of his sons.

"It was worse than any movie scene because it was real," Barajas' brother, Gabriel, said. "The next thing my brother remembered was waking up in a hospital naked" after his clothing, drenched in his sons' blood, had been removed.

Father indicted in death of drunk driver - Houston Chronicle
OK. Now, lets get something straight, and cut through the modern witch hunt propaganda BS about alcohol levels and this "Twice the Legal Limit" crap, because it is crap, (like Osama Bin Laden hiding in your underwear) since just about every state has reduced legal limits several times over the years, and is now a very low .08, which doesn't even come close to intoxication for most people. The truth is, .08 is 2 drinks for a 120 LB female, and 3 drinks for a 160 LB male. So, there are very few people who can claim never to have driven a car after having two beers, and I don't believe we should incarcerate or execute 90% of the college students in this country who drink well in excess of that several times a week, and likely driving too. OKAY?

When I was growing up, the legal limit was .15 and that was not a difficult number to reach .... nor is it a number that automatically equates to a staggering drunk unable to walk or function, and particularly not for someone who is a frequent weekend club goer/drinker, who's tolerance levels can be extraordinarily high. Back in those days, I can tell you that I drove over today's .08 limit virtually every weekend, for years, and frequently, approaching the .15 (or almost double today's legal limit). There were a few times when I did drive intoxicated, and I was lucky never to have had an incident ... but that .08 number is a joke, as I would drink 3 or 4 drinks before ever leaving the house, just to get a head start on the evening.

Back in those days, the police really were all bout about highway safety and not politics and money and jacking people up! Those police would administer field sobriety tests for people who showed outward signs of being intoxicated ... not those who may have had a couple or three drinks, like is common in today's police state gulag concentration camp. And because the limit has been reduced to such low levels, any indication of alcohol, such as the odor of it, will likely land you in jail, because if you've been drinking anything, you'll likely hit that low level, and they even prosecute DUI as well as DWI, where DUI can be even lower than the .08. It's a scam fraud, and has become a cottage industry all to itself, and it's a real money maker for a lot of people getting a slice of the action, from the high fines for the state, the incentives for police officers like extra days vacation for the most arrests, the lawyers and their fees, and the tow truck drivers and impoundment lots ... and the insurance companies LOVE IT, because a DWI will cost you 5 to 10 Grand or more in just additional insurance premiums. It's one big fracking orgy, and ALL of it is, of course, to protect the public safety, because they love us so much. The truth is, it's a scam, to milk the public like farm animals, much like everything else today.

So, it's gotten so bad now ... and people are so freaking brain washed, that if a person goes out and has a few drinks for the evening .. well, they are terrible people, worse than a hardened criminal. Heck, it's apparently OK to execute them on the side of the road now, according to a number of very deranged individuals here.

God Bless America, the land of the deceived and the home of the depraved!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
OK. Now, lets get something straight, and cut through the modern witch hunt propaganda BS about alcohol levels and this "Twice the Legal Limit" crap, because it is crap, (like Osama Bin Laden hiding in your underwear) since just about every state has reduced legal limits several times over the years, and is now a very low .08, which doesn't even come close to intoxication for most people. The truth is, .08 is 2 drinks for a 120 LB female, and 3 drinks for a 160 LB male. So, there are very few people who can claim never to have driven a car after having two beers, and I don't believe we should incarcerate or execute 90% of the college students in this country who drink well in excess of that several times a week, and likely driving too. OKAY?
What drinks are you talking about?!?! .08 is quite intoxicated. In order to get a .08 off of 3 normal beers or mixed drinks for a 160 pound male you would seriously have to pound them and then drive and then you would be just around if not a little lower or higher then .08. If you space it out over a few hours, or depending on the drinks an hour you are no where near the legal limit.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Baloney ... you, dead cold sober could have the same damned thing happen to you, driving along at night and run into the back of someone pushing a vehicle down a dark road at night. You do possess the common sense to understand why vehicles have lights in the front and the rear, don't you? Because you can't see them at night if those lights aren't on?
I don't think the articles stated if the truck had it's lights on. For all we know the hazard lights may have been on.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
What drinks are you talking about?!?! .08 is quite intoxicated. In order to get a .08 off of 3 normal beers or mixed you would seriously have to pound them and then drive. If you space it out over a few hours you are no where near the legal limit.
Look Junior ... save the BS for someone else .... three beers are easy to drink in an hour ... you never have had three beers with a damned pizza before? And after that, one beer per hour pushes your levels higher because your body can only metabolize .5 oz of alcohol per hour. Three beers in hour one, and 2 beers in hour two, one beer in hour 3, and you are now that terrible person that is TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT, and you can sip water for the next 3 hours, and you're still going to jail. All for a 6 pack of beer, in 6 hours.

I can drink a six pack in 3 hours and drive better than you ever have in your life, and I was doing it 20 years before you were born.

So GROW UP.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14
Hell they should give him a medal not arrest him!
They should understand why he flipped and did this...... ITS VERY SAD.

STUPID DRUNK SCUMBAGS!!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh well isn't that a convenient brush off of something that makes you wrong.

Yes, alcohol DOES alter your mind/brain. This is a well known fact. If it didn't you wouldn't get drunk, now would you?

Ok, maybe I was not clear in what I meant. Alcohol is a depressant, its "mind altering" aspects are simply a "slowing" of synapses, not an alteration of process (ie as a hallucinogenic). You aren't seeing, hearing, or thinking "differently", only at a slower rate.

Your perception isn't "altered" past what it normally is in terms of reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies