Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h
Background check will not remove the threat. Criminals don't care about laws, hence the term criminals.

What these registrations will do is create the lists of owners to be disarmed when it comes time for such things.

Better to have a list, than having to search every home...
...and we all know the government never abuses its power.

I think all of us would love to know how background checks will make it easier to find criminals. Care to enlighten us?

No, I'm not thinking we'll need to go to war against the government. What I'm trying to point out is that the government can't take your rights away, unless you allow them to. At some point, if you give up enough, they'll simply take what's left.

And here we are, having come full circle back to the real problem. Once again, if background checks won't stop any of the criminals and thugs... why are we going to do it?
Existing background checks already work, granted it's not a perfect system but then what system is 100% efficient. They keep some guns out of the hands of the mentally incompetent and those with a criminal background, is that a bad thing.

A small faction thinks that universal registration would be a first step to complete confiscation, with arond 8 guns for every 10 people that would be absolutely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Existing background checks already work, granted it's not a perfect system but then what system is 100% efficient. They keep some guns out of the hands of the mentally incompetent and those with a criminal background, is that a bad thing.

A small faction thinks that universal registration would be a first step to complete confiscation, with arond 8 guns for every 10 people that would be absolutely ridiculous.
No they don't. That's why a background check is needed for individual to individual sale. 90% of Americans agree with that.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No they don't. That's why a background check is needed for individual to individual sale. 90% of Americans agree with that.
I meant that the existing background checks already eliminate some felons, but yes they do not go far enough and need to include private sales.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

If you can address the current near zero enforcement on the current background check, I may get board with more background checks.

Don't add laws that you don't plan to enforce!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

Again, it's not needed as I have already explained to you. Simply go after the straw purchasers and those who sold to criminals on purpose.

Oh, wait, let's see: you don't want to enforce the current background check, you don't want to go after straw purchasers but you want more background check???!!!

I had no plan to return the first $100,000 I borrowed from you, nor would I plan to return the next $100,000 I again borrowed from you but somehow it's a great idea for you to lend me another $100,000!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you can address the current near zero enforcement on the current background check, I may get board with more background checks.

Don't add laws that you don't plan to enforce!!!
You indicated they deny 80,000 denials per year although I believe that is just federal, I think including state denials it's double that number. That's around 160,000 people that didn't get a gun, granted some of them no doubt went to private sales or used a straw buyer, that is where the laws need improving.

Enforcement is another story, I am not sure where you got the start that only 400 are indicted and if your numbers include fines.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Thanks...... The top gun could have a mag almost any length made up pretty easy... No semi auto rifle is safe from the grabbers.

Nothing is. I just came in from snow shoeing and sighting in a new scope on a 22 bolt action which in effect makes this little 50 year old 22 a Sniper Rifle, since the scope is worth more than the gun.

At this point that little 22 makes one ragged hole dead center on a paper target. Grabber would want it banned just for the looks of the scope, because it looks complicated, with 3 adjustments in optics and black, red and green BDC reticles, with by hand turret adjusters for windage and elevation.

It gets a Harris Bi Pod next. Look out red commie squirrels
My next rifle is going to be a .22l. You can't beat a good plinker for the shear delight of shooting on a budget. I can't afford to play with my M1 anymore, and being that I live in Cali, would probably be arrested for having 30 rnd mags. Even my Glock will be made illegal regardless of when I purchased it, if Fei[ranke]nstein has her way. We live in sad times.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
Quote:
Gun Background Checks Supported By More Than 90 Percent: Poll

Thats what happens when you live in a bubble where everyone agrees with you, and if they don't, you don't want to hear from them.

And then you give me an article from the huffington post. Talk about living in a bubble where everyone agrees with you.

I don't waste my time with any of the MSM and you should do yourself that favor also. I am in the real world and very few people want any more laws especially more background checks. I meet a few that do but then they are people who watch TV news 24/7 so they are clueless.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
And then you give me an article from the huffington post. Talk about living in a bubble where everyone agrees with you.

I don't waste my time with any of the MSM and you should do yourself that favor also. I am in the real world and very few people want any more laws especially more background checks. I meet a few that do but then they are people who watch TV news 24/7 so they are clueless.
Would you like me to link Reuters, the hannity article where he mentions it.

Its called Google, use it.

The poll has nothing to do with the huffington post, it was simply a link stating what the poll said! .

The poll is linked in the link.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually $31.8 billion.

US gun industry is thriving. Seven key figures.

And thats because guns are so damn cheap. Buying a gun in this country, is like buying candy.

Average price of a gun $50, maybe? Average price of a car $30,000. See a difference there?
You should really at least try to educate yourself before talking when you're obviously completely ignorant.

Be honest, you've never even seen a gun in person, have you. Let me guess, everything you know about guns you learned from Hollywood and Sarah Brady, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies