Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It's just plain to bad New Vada is so far from New Hampshire ..
I like the .233 rnd find, but the thick brush here just eats them up. We got brush here so thick a man has a real struggle to get threw any.. Even rabbits have a a hard time.

If you should doubt me I will have to get take a few pics. I know places so dense it would take 10 minutes to go 10 feet.

That 700 BDL might work well here though. and yeah I got 2 AK clones SAR-1 and a Yugo under folder. Had 2 SAR'1's but sold one private sale some months ago to a guy I knew more than 10 years. The 4473 form is on my head so I like to know where my guns went.
Hmmmm. We have thick brush in spots herebouts. It doesn't tend to get to dense until you get over the 7-8 k ft levels though. Then one can run into nasty swaths of dog rose and chokecherry that can impede movement in a most annoying fashion.

Even so, an average shot on a Muley will run from 2-4 hundred yards. Hunting yotes down in the valleys distances run bout the same. Brush deflection is not a huge issue when selecting a specific gun for certain types of hunting. Mainly just proper punch for size and toughness.

Never been to NH. But it sounds a lot like WV. Where I had THE most unpleasant experiences with brush hunting I ever care to. Lol. Iron sights and heavy caliber was my pick. I used a hot loaded. 45 Colt, 300gr Hornady XTP, over 20.5 gr of 296the in my Marlin 94. Worked great. Every shot I took was right at or inside 100 yds, and those big slugs carried a lot of hammertime.

I varmint hunt here more than anything, and my AR or my 788 243 pretty much cover the spread. The 243 has dropped its share of Muleys too. My 700 is being built to be a distance runner. I favor the 06 over the 308 for this, just the cuz my Daddy did it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmmm. We have thick brush in spots herebouts. It doesn't tend to get to dense until you get over the 7-8 k ft levels though. Then one can run into nasty swaths of dog rose and chokecherry that can impede movement in a most annoying fashion.

Even so, an average shot on a Muley will run from 2-4 hundred yards. Hunting yotes down in the valleys distances run bout the same. Brush deflection is not a huge issue when selecting a specific gun for certain types of hunting. Mainly just proper punch for size and toughness.

Never been to NH. But it sounds a lot like WV. Where I had THE most unpleasant experiences with brush hunting I ever care to. Lol. Iron sights and heavy caliber was my pick. I used a hot loaded. 45 Colt, 300gr Hornady XTP, over 20.5 gr of 296the in my Marlin 94. Worked great. Every shot I took was right at or inside 100 yds, and those big slugs carried a lot of hammertime.

I varmint hunt here more than anything, and my AR or my 788 243 pretty much cover the spread. The 243 has dropped its share of Muleys too. My 700 is being built to be a distance runner. I favor the 06 over the 308 for this, just the cuz my Daddy did it that way.
We would be more like W.Va ... where the heavy slow slug is the thing you need to shoot a deer at around 25 feet to 25 yards in these thickets. In NH a long shot would be 150 yards unless you were hunting a power line, or a corn field.

All I know of Nevada is Rt 50 really, and one town that looks like the deep south with black walnuts someone planted more than 150 years I'ld bet. Then a bit of the high sierra to cross into Cal at a town called Lee Vining.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
We would be more like W.Va ... where the heavy slow slug is the thing you need to shoot a deer at around 25 feet to 25 yards in these thickets. In NH a long shot would be 150 yards unless you were hunting a power line, or a corn field.

All I know of Nevada is Rt 50 really, and one town that looks like the deep south with black walnuts someone planted more than 150 years I'ld bet. Then a bit of the high sierra to cross into Cal at a town called Lee Vining.
Im about 2 hrs NW of Lee Vining. The town on 50 your descibing sounds like Austin. It's kindof a scary spot lol.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Im about 2 hrs NW of Lee Vining. The town on 50 your descibing sounds like Austin. It's kindof a scary spot lol.
Why is that? I didn't stop there, and about all I recall was the road was under construction. The Black Walnut trees were a surprise, but they had to have been planted there.

LOL I dug out my trip map. We spent the night in Austin Loved that town.... We bought rocks man!

naw The town I mean with the trees is off Rt 95 We turned in Fallon to Rt 95 and again we turned onto208 to stay in Topaz lake a night. Somewhere in there the ground gets fertile again.

Each evening i wrote on the map which roads we took, state by state.

I got a bad habit of avoiding big cities see...... Not sure now but past that area we stopped at a place where a sign mentioned cannon had been abandoned due to snow in around 1860ish maybe 1880ish and then came to place the pine cones scared me. We were on a motorcycle see... I didn't want to be hit by any falling pine cones up there!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Why is that? I didn't stop there, and about all I recall was the road was under construction. The Black Walnut trees were a surprise, but they had to have been planted there.

LOL I dug out my trip map. We spent the night in Austin Loved that town.... We bought rocks man!

naw The town I mean with the trees is off Rt 95 We turned in Fallon to Rt 95 and again we turned onto208 to stay in Topaz lake a night. Somewhere in there the ground gets fertile again.

Each evening i wrote on the map which roads we took, state by state.

I got a bad habit of avoiding big cities see...... Not sure now but past that area we stopped at a place where a sign mentioned cannon had been abandoned due to snow in around 1860ish maybe 1880ish and then came to place the pine cones scared me. We were on a motorcycle see... I didn't want to be hit by any falling pine cones up there!
The cannon you're describing were John C Fremonts famous tubes. That was actually the 1840s. Pre Civil War. Rumor has it they are somewhere twixt Smith Valley and Roan Valley. Thats a LOT of ground. Haha.

Austin has a reputation. Lol, long story. Its a local good natured joke. You have been right through my stomping grounds. Lyon, Douglas county area. CA side has Bridgeport, Lee Vining, Mammoth, June Lakes etc. It's nice country round here. And I have a real nice, known distance range a mile away.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The cannon you're describing were John C Fremonts famous tubes. That was actually the 1840s. Pre Civil War. Rumor has it they are somewhere twixt Smith Valley and Roan Valley. Thats a LOT of ground. Haha.

Austin has a reputation. Lol, long story. Its a local good natured joke. You have been right through my stomping grounds. Lyon, Douglas county area. CA side has Bridgeport, Lee Vining, Mammoth, June Lakes etc. It's nice country round here. And I have a real nice, known distance range a mile away.
Too bad i didn't know you before.. I would have bought you a coffee and a snack passin' thru. I had been head mod at mcusa for 5 years and the end result for me was a coast to coast ride with many invites from people I met on line only. I think of the internet as a big public library. probably you would never get the test, but many of the folks who invited us, knowing they would be at work about the time we might arrive left paper notes and house keys for us.

I read the notes, and waited in back yards, but never turned a key.... The only way i could do that again and pick off the 8 states i missed would be hit the lottery. I never bought a ticket for that in my life so far, but my wife does once in a while.

Austin: My wife is a artist and pretty good too. There were 2 places in Austin tone with a short boardwalk lined with old wagon wheels and a bottle shop. That town might be the only town that got 2 pictures she drew. We made a little pdf booklet with hopes to sell, but so far never have and instead given them away.

If you want a free copy dm me with a e-mail you can get a copy from.. of course this is CD wghere no one trusts anyone else.... So if you take the offer you will be the first one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies