Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually $31.8 billion.

US gun industry is thriving. Seven key figures.

And thats because guns are so damn cheap. Buying a gun in this country, is like buying candy.

Average price of a gun $50, maybe? Average price of a car $30,000. See a difference there?
Where do you come up with this garbage?

To prove you aren't a complete baboon, you will have to post data to support what you claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM

651 posts, read 703,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where do you come up with this garbage?

To prove you aren't a complete baboon, you will have to post data to support what you claim.
Its because he does not know what he is talking about. There is no gun you can buy for 50 bucks unless its used and very beaten up and almost not working. I was just at an auction where a POS old 38 S&W H&R that was rusted went for 90 bucks and its not even collectable. An entry level POS Davis 38 or 380 is going to run you about 125 to 150. Used beaten up maybe 75 bucks. So this guy has not clue.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm going to break a TOS (and get suspended again) but you are a ****ing idiot.

Knock yourself out.

Firearms Price Guide | Gun Price Guide | Handgun Price Guide | Used Gun Price Guide
Whats with all the stuff listed in there with $0 next to it?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Whats with all the stuff listed in there with $0 next to it?
Can't figure out a price chart either?

If you note the $0 figures are under the fair column. Fair in firearms sales has a very specific meaning for condition. What the $0 means is that there are no "fair" prices available for that particular gun. Either because there are none out there which are in that category or that the ones available are Very Good. If you look just to the right a little bit you'll see the Very Good values (again, Very Good has a specific meaning for condition).

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
I'm just glad to live where I do. Next month, I'll be in my gun permit class.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ok. Once again, I don't have issue with background checks, though I see a huge potential for abuse of a system such as you propose. The current one has been so abused, but fortunately, it was not allowed to get out of control.

There still lies the question in encorcement, as it relates to private sales. It rather gives me a case of hives, trying to wrap my head around the logistics. I have this nightmare vision of registration schemes. I would not put it past the politicians to come up with a tidal wave of taxes and fees, tantamount to every firearms owner, in so many terms, to have the equivilent of an FFL, "to cover possible sale of a firearm". Or some such nonsense.

(sigh) .....I really don't mind assuring, as much as possible, that sales to tbose who should not have firearms, be prevented. However, I take issue with trusting the government to come up with a system tbat is fair, and will not be twisted into a new tax ma hine. Designed to financially punish firearms owners. Can you see my apprehension here?
" though I see a huge potential for abuse of a system". Herein lies one of the MAJOR drawbacks.

Can anyone name 1 single gov't program that is run without waste, fraud and abuse?

The strictest agency in gov't, the IRS, admits it CAN'T track all the people owing taxes.

Name 1 program that hasn't expanded over the years from what the original intent of the law that created that program.

Look at the Obama admin. when the Welfare Reform bill was passed it had specific language in it about work requirements. Obama, with the stroke of a pen voids that part of the law.

ANY program that is in place now or put into place in the future CAN be modified by bureaucrats WITHOUT going through Congress or can be altered to suit the whims of any President.

How can we trust a gov't to "properly handle the information on back ground check when they have proven over and over to to lie when ever it suits their agenda.

They KNOW what assault weapons are yet CONTINUALLY call WEAPONS THAT ARE not ASSAULT WEAPONS by that description.

I don't trust them with the info.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-16-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Enforcement is, you're pulled over, police find a gun in the car, yet the aerial number doesn't match anything you've legally bought? How did you get it? Was it stolen? Who sold it to you? Who was the last person known to have owned it?

Enforcement.

We also track who legally buys explosives, and we don't confiscate them, because as ling as you keep them safe and you legally purchased them, those are yours.

We have laws to prevent confiscation, mainly the second amendment.

My post was aimed at the person who asked what kind of sale wasn't background checked.

You sale a gun to someone who uses it in a crime, and you didn't have that background check done, you're both liable for the crime.
"You sale a gun to someone who uses it in a crime, and you didn't have that background check done, you're both liable for the crime"

B.S. Today, background checks are NOT required for private sales. If you legally sell a gun to someone and they use it in a crime, you are NOT held responsible.

If you buy a car from a dealer and go out and kill someone, is the dealer held responsible. NO!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
No way of knowing without requiring the background check.

So you think when the criminal tells you "My mom bought the gun for me" is not enough to prove the mom is the straw purchaser???

It's not hard to know the straw purchase; it is hard to have the will to enforce the law. Remember, the government doesn't even enforce the current background check law. Each year about 80,000 denials only 44 are prosecuted. That is 79,956 criminals are getting away.

Do you know how easy it is to follow up with that? You got the person's name, address and birthday etc. and crime committed all on one piece of paper called Form 4473!!!

Then what's the point to have more background check that won't get any enforcement?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Background check will not remove the threat. Criminals don't care about laws, hence the term criminals.

What these registrations will do is create the lists of owners to be disarmed when it comes time for such things.

Better to have a list, than having to search every home...
...and we all know the government never abuses its power.

Quote:
It makes it easier to find the criminals with guns, and limits their access.

And you can't be seriously thinking you're going to war with the government. That's so silly of an argument, and its what you always boil down to.

A government not representative of a majority of the governed will not long stand. 90% of people in this country feel a universal background check system should be in place.
I think all of us would love to know how background checks will make it easier to find criminals. Care to enlighten us?

No, I'm not thinking we'll need to go to war against the government. What I'm trying to point out is that the government can't take your rights away, unless you allow them to. At some point, if you give up enough, they'll simply take what's left.

And here we are, having come full circle back to the real problem. Once again, if background checks won't stop any of the criminals and thugs... why are we going to do it?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If you don't believe in universal background checks and you don't want any system that impacts responsible gun owners, what is the solution to take guns out of the hands of criminals.
In order to preserve the rights of the many, we must live with the nasty deeds of the few.

The simple answer is: There is no instant solution.

How about raising future generations to be responsible citizens instead of spoiled, confused, perpetual children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies