Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
"Guns making the world safer".

I would say the amount of guns getting into the wrong hands (DC Sniper, Columbine, Gangs, OJ Simpson)

Versus

The once in a while catching of a thief or old-lady warding off a carjack...

Yeah I would say guns make the world very unsafe, and a fine example is America where basically anyone can easily get a gun.
I am personally aware of at least 60 guns that have been in the possession of private citizens for over 100 years each and have never participated in any type of violent or criminal activity. They do not seem to have made this world any more unsafe that it already is.

I am also personally aware of two rocks, six knives, one arrow, three baseball bats, five hammers, one axe, three chains, one whip, and seven books that have participated in physical assaults one people. I am unable to determine a count for fingers, fists, knees, elbows, heads, or feet that have been active participants in physical altercations.

BTW, OJ allegedly used a knife, not a gun. Most of the gang violence I have observed is also club, knife or chain based violence. Only the gun activities of the gangs hit the news and that is the smallest portion of their violence overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The OP's headline is jumping to a conclusion. The homeowner's gun allowed him to hold the perp (a half Nelson physical capture could have accomplished the same thing) after he was found in the home but did not not prevent the burglary. (The perp might actually have a case against the homeowner of "involuntary servitude.")
A half nelson??? I doubt that hold would disable anyone wishing to fight back.
A gun on the other hand need not be used. Simply looking down the barrel is enough to stop most in their tracks.
I have practiced various forms of Karate since I was 18. I am now 44. I feel confident in my abilities. If I had to choose which to use against a burgler my martial arts or my trusty colt gold cup? Hmmmmm 1 nanosecond later my gold cup will be doing all my talking.
The big problem with homeowners drawing a gun in selfdefence is simple. many dont have the nerve, many dont practice enough, and many simply freeze. Most criminals have the practice, the nerve and almost never freeze.
Most criminals also wont spare you if you catch them.
Many antigun folks love talk about guns and crime but also like to leave out that the vast majority of crimes with a gun are guns purchased illegally. Someone breaks into my house I am certain they will be leaving in a bad way. 1 less criminal would only help our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies