Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying that fear mongering falacy.

Here's why in simple terms. Why Employers Won't Fire People If We Raise The Minimum Wage To $9 | ThinkProgress
Did you ever stop to think that it's in lefty Think Progress's best interest to defraud you into believing that?

Corporations are already laying off workers and/or reducing work hours and consequently wages because of the Obamacare cost of doing business increases, alone. It's even coming back to bite academia in the butt. ROFL.
ObamaCare Reduces Employee Hours at Colleges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Making a correction in markets is not screwing over. Teachers and law enforcement were unsustainable fields in the way in which they were going.

Don't pretend like teachers and law enforcement unions haven't been lobbying all these years. We all lobby. It's a fact of life.

Chris frequents charity dinners at my country club. I've spoken with him several times. You have him all wrong.
I hope I have him wrong. He is definitely better than other republicans we have in our country today. I appreciate that he calls them out on their B.S. Still there needs to be more bipartisan work.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you ever stop to think that it's in lefty Think Progress's best interest to defraud you into believing that?

Corporations are already laying off workers and/or reducing work hours and consequently wages because of the Obamacare cost of doing business increases, alone. It's even coming back to bite academia in the butt. ROFL.
ObamaCare Reduces Employee Hours at Colleges
Dude numbers don't lie. Think Progress isn't my only source of information, but they are more accurate than Faux News. Still, my concern was how it would affect NJ. I don't know why mods moved it here.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Dude numbers don't lie. Think Progress isn't my only source of information, but they are more accurate than Faux News.
If they're so accurate, why haven't they cited the jobs lost to the Obamacare cost increases?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If they're so accurate, why haven't they cited the jobs lost to the Obamacare cost increases?
Look the issue is not Obama Care. I'm not a fan of his either, but the reasons I can't stand him, republicans like him, or at least his actions. My concern is NJ. Nonetheless, my kids got straight A's on their report cards and I have to run out & get pizza & cake to celebrate. Have good night all!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Look the issue is not Obama Care.
The issue is increases to the costs of doing business. That includes any or ALL of the following: Obamacare, any decrease in corporate subsidies, any increase in the corporate tax rate, any minimum wage increase, etc.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Yeah, but Christie could care less about people like you & me. His agenda is different. I have family members in the fields that he screwed over, teaching & law enforcement. Christie needs to consider how his policies affect us all. He doesn't, he only does what's best for the 1%.
What do you have against the 1%? Are they not human? Do you dislike them simply because they earned too much in your eyes? Do you think everyone who is a 1%er steps on all the little people? Do you believe in the creation of wealth where none existed in that area before that creation? Is the economy, the material and monetary wealth of a nation a single pie... one that must be divided up, meaning in order for one to have more of that pie, another must have less?

When Zuckerberg created Facebook, did he create wealth by creating a good or service that others valued and wanted? Did the value held by Facebook proportionately remove the value held by a Facebook competitor? If not, was value (wealth) created when Facebook was created?

I'm trying to understand the class envy I see displayed. I'm trying to understand the apparent desire to punish someone for gaining wealth. I'm trying to understand why one human would look negatively at what another has legally earned. Then that same person not understand that they too have that opportunity, maybe in a different area, yet if their proposed ideas of punishing the rich are implemented their opportunity to become wealthy diminishes greatly.

Maybe I'm wrong BUT... Is this not simply being envious of what another has, secretly demanding your portion of what they earned regardless of your effort, ability, innovation or risk? Is this not a something for nothing mentality?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
What do you have against the 1%? Are they not human? Do you dislike them simply because they earned too much in your eyes? Do you think everyone who is a 1%er steps on all the little people? Do you believe in the creation of wealth where none existed in that area before that creation? Is the economy, the material and monetary wealth of a nation a single pie... one that must be divided up, meaning in order for one to have more of that pie, another must have less?

When Zuckerberg created Facebook, did he create wealth by creating a good or service that others valued and wanted? Did the value held by Facebook proportionately remove the value held by a Facebook competitor? If not, was value (wealth) created when Facebook was created?

I'm trying to understand the class envy I see displayed. I'm trying to understand the apparent desire to punish someone for gaining wealth. I'm trying to understand why one human would look negatively at what another has legally earned. Then that same person not understand that they too have that opportunity, maybe in a different area, yet if their proposed ideas of punishing the rich are implemented their opportunity to become wealthy diminishes greatly.

Maybe I'm wrong BUT... Is this not simply being envious of what another has, secretly demanding your portion of what they earned regardless of your effort, ability, innovation or risk? Is this not a something for nothing mentality?
That's exactly what it is. They want something for nothing simply because someone else bothered to make the sacrifices, the informed life and financial decisions, and do the work that it took to earn it. The economy would be doing much better if everyone who wanted wealth actually EARNED it instead of merely demanding it be handed over from others.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Facebook made over $1 Billion in profits in 2012, and paid $0 in taxes. Facebook will receive a refund of $429 million. Between 2008 and 2011, 26 companies with combined profits of $206 billion, paid $0 taxes, and received refunds! Yeah, helping poor people & raising minimum wage would ruin our economy.

Facebook Paid No Taxes In 2012
Lower corporate taxes and close all loopholes in effort to spur large companies to slow down their massive profits while not helping us and let smaller corporations that don't have many connections to lower their taxes begin paying a bit less so they'll create jobs. That's the only thing I can think of be as of today, America has enough companies making record profits without paying taxes to drastically lower current deficits.

So although I'm liberal/left leaning independent, I want to take a conservative approach rather than raising taxes on companies because either way they won't be paying any or minimum taxes and by raising taxes smaller companies will only suffer.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

Tax should be simplify. Like a flat 10% regardless what you make. If you made $100, your tax is $10. If you made, $1,000,000,000,000,000 then your tax is $100,000,000,000,000
Tax code has favored low-moderate income, non earned income and large corporations for decades. A flat tax would change all this and hit the low-moderate income folk the hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies