Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But they all went through the system and sustained injury after injury.
Not all kids are going to go through the system. You got the 1% that go from pee wee to high school ball and then 1% of them go on to college then 1% of them on to the pro's. Once your eighteen you make your own decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Are you saying kids playing sports in high school can't get seriously hurt? Have you seen the size of some high school football players?

I graduated high school in 1995 and I distinctly remember that there were a handful of football players bench pressing 350 to 400 pounds.
I've never said that.

Hockey players, basketball players, wrestlers, soccer players are all get pretty big too. Many play multiple sports.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
With all the whining, blaming, and paranoia here(from the left, mostly)I can't imagine the kids get to have a lot of fun outside the house.
I really don't recall seeing many libby parents in the football stands in my town.
Their kids are obviously deprived if that's the case.

The following source states "High school football players have more than three times the risk of a catastrophic head injury than their college peers."

Catastrophic Head Injury Three Times Greater In High School Vs. Collegiate Football Players

From 1989 - 2002 there were 94 incidents of severe HIGH SCHOOL football head injuries reported to the (NCCSIR) National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research.

What if Nascar or the UFC had 94 severe head injuries every 3 years?
Do you think they would do something about it?

Since Nascar and the UFC have respect for their athletes, they protect their athletes with safety devices, and rules.

Its incredible how you Fox news followers, will disregard the health of Americas high school students, just to let out your manipulating and un-true anti-Obama rants. But since (MOST) republicans only care about the rights of CEO's, this republican behavior does not surprise me.

Last edited by chad3; 02-18-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
With all the whining, blaming, and paranoia here(from the left, mostly)I can't imagine the kids get to have a lot of fun outside the house.
I really don't recall seeing many libby parents in the football stands in my town.
Their kids are obviously deprived if that's the case.
Deprived by not losing IQ points? Yeah, ok.

Btw, I'm a conservative. My son can be involved in martial arts. I love watching football, but he's not playing that. Let other kids be fodder for the dain bramage mill.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Four concussions per high school team per year. I would think that number would be higher. There are 1.1 million high school football players in the country playing at 14,000 schools who practice every day of the week barring Sunday mostly and play ten games during the year. You break that down and get four concussions in a season per school. One would think the numbers would be quite a bit higher. Not so "staggering" after all.

http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/linkit....751&libID=5773

Now you want to also add in undiagnosed concussions which could basically be anything. Hey coach I got a headache ban there's an undiagnosed concussion. Maybe the kid just doesn't want to run at the end of practice. lol

Lets see some real comparisons and stop going after football. Eva Lesko is a perfect example of somebody who shouldn't even be talking about this issue.
But if you're reading up on this for real, you'll see the data on the damage caused by multiple SUB-CONCUSSIVE hits...hits that happen hundreds of times over and over and over...and their cumulative effect.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times
Football has more direct catastrophic injuries than any other sport tracked by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research (NCCSIR).

Catastrophic Head Injury Three Times Greater In High School Vs. Collegiate Football Players

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But if you're reading up on this for real, you'll see the data on the damage caused by multiple SUB-CONCUSSIVE hits...hits that happen hundreds of times over and over and over...and their cumulative effect.
And that won't be happening to the 99% of kids who play which many don't take into consideration. All these studies and tests are taking former NFL players who have been playing football for twenty or more years. Many aren't going to be playing football their entire lives many won't play even into high school. Lineman are the ones who bang heads on every play not everybody. They don't even know if the subtle hits cause more problems with CTE than the big collisions that occur. That is why more study needs to be done and studies across the board not just study say lineman and say that equates to every postiion or just study football and say that equates to every other sport or the NFL and say that equates to pee wee football because it doesn't.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Football has more direct catastrophic injuries than any other sport tracked by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research (NCCSIR).

94 over 13 football seasons? That is the doomsday pill that we are supposed to swallow? I don't think so. You have a one in 10K chance of getting struck by lightning according to the national weather service in your lifetime. Should folks ground themselves every time they walk outside?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM

554 posts, read 608,264 times
Quote:
94 over 13 football seasons? That is the doomsday pill that we are supposed to swallow? I don't think so. You have a one in 10K chance of getting struck by lightning according to the national weather service in your lifetime. Should folks ground themselves every time they walk outside?
As a surgeon who operates on head trauma, I can say, based on my experience and on my knowledge of the literature, that I would never allow my son to play football.

Consider one study alone, which examined the health of 21 high-school players throughout the course of a single season.

Functionally-Detected Cognitive Impairment in ... [J Neurotrauma. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

The findings:

• The 21 players experienced 15,264 significant collision events across 48 practices and games (an average of 15.5 collision events per player per organized activity); four of the 21 players were diagnosed with a concussion.
  • Four of the players with no clinically observable signs of concussion still showed significant functional impairments when observed with MRI technology or verbal/cognitive testing. This suggests that a new category of brain-related injury problem needs to be diagnosed.
  • If this new diagnosis is applied to 23 players in a parallel scientific study, 12 of the players would be considered functionally impaired.
  • In particular danger are lineman, “who experience helmet-to-helmet contact on nearly every play from scrimmage, often to the top front of the head.” Players in such positions are more likely to suffer multiple sub-concussive blows leading to increased risk of long-term neurological degeneration.
Repetitive brain trauma will cause CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) later in life. I wouldn't risk my son becoming demented at age 45. Football needs to change, and it will. It's just a matter of time.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 PM

554 posts, read 608,264 times
Quote:
"It should also be noted that there is expected to be considerable variation in neurological response based on player size, speed, skill level, position and technique, as well as field conditions and level of competition. Consequently, additional
studies are needed to elucidate the effects of these parameters and further generalize the results."

Further testing needs to be done like I've been saying all along before anyone can come to any definitive conclusions.
So, you'd be willing to allow your son to incur hits to the head, and compare his physiology later in life with a control group who suffered no such hits ? I doubt that.

There won't be any "definitive conclusions" at this time, because the studies necessary to draw firm conclusions would be unethical, and no parent would allow their children to participate.

The current available evidence linking CTE to repeated head trauma is accepted as statistically valid by most neurosurgeons. You can be the doubting Thomas if you wish; it's your son.

Last edited by sibelian; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies