Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

I'll say this about football players. They make great hockey players if they learn the skating skills. I can always pick out the football players. They are very comfortable with the physical part of hockey, something that is very hard to teach but seems to come natural to them. They take hits and deliver them much better than non-football playing hockey players.

But the problem is, they are usually hurt when the season starts so it's hard to get them in the lineup. I discouraged my boys from playing football because I don't want them having knee and hip surgeries before they turn 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
My boys are grown one didn't want to play sports, he rode dirt bikes. The other played football and Judo. Out of the two Judo scared me the most, but now he can slam people to the floor with out throwing a punch.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't think so....
I'll teach him how to defend himself physically, but enganging in sports where the ultimate goal is exerting as much physical pain as possible on the opposition isn't healthy for a child. He'll benefit much better from intellectual pursuits, and baseball, basketball, track, etc will always be there if he wants to play sports.
Why should we agree with you?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
He could beat out Weeden I bet. lol
Funny that you say that. I've coached my son's NFL play 60's teams. He is a ball hawk. He honestly would be a great defensive back like Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu or TJ Ward. Defensively, he is ALWAYS where the ball is. When he plays offense he always wants to be a RB or WR. I let him play those but I try and encourage him to play a bit of QB. Why? Because of all of the kids he has the best field vision and he actually throws an accurate spiral. Then again. I've been in the yard tossing the ball with him since he was 3 or 4.

So yeah, maybe he could beat out Weeden.

P.S. Stop picking on my Browns! LOL!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'll say this about football players. They make great hockey players if they learn the skating skills. I can always pick out the football players. They are very comfortable with the physical part of hockey, something that is very hard to teach but seems to come natural to them. They take hits and deliver them much better than non-football playing hockey players.

But the problem is, they are usually hurt when the season starts so it's hard to get them in the lineup. I discouraged my boys from playing football because I don't want them having knee and hip surgeries before they turn 30.
Same with basketball the "no contact" sport that it is. lol

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
I never said that. You have as much of a chance doing that playing pee wee football as riding a bike at that age. When they get older it's up to them IMO. Mine loves playing football so I let him play.
I didn't say that you said that, I asked if you thought that.

I asked because you said this
Quote:
Sadly some parents never let the kids choose what sport they want to play. Hey son do you want to sign up for football? It really is a simple question. They say yes sign em up they say no then ask em if they want to play soccer. They say yes sign em up they say no then ask em if the want to play........
A parent is ultimately responsible for their child.

Also could your cite your source that says that the chance of injury from pee wee football is equal to the chance of injury from bike riding

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Funny that you say that. I've coached my son's NFL play 60's teams. He is a ball hawk. He honestly would be a great defensive back like Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu or TJ Ward. Defensively, he is ALWAYS where the ball is. When he plays offense he always wants to be a RB or WR. I let him play those but I try and encourage him to play a bit of QB. Why? Because of all of the kids he has the best field vision and he actually throws an accurate spiral. Then again. I've been in the yard tossing the ball with him since he was 3 or 4.

So yeah, maybe he could beat out Weeden.

P.S. Stop picking on my Browns! LOL!
Yeah I don't have much leeway to pick. I'll trade you Cassel for your kid. Chiefs would probably win 3 or 4 games at least next year with him at QB.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
My boys are grown one didn't want to play sports, he rode dirt bikes. The other played football and Judo. Out of the two Judo scared me the most, but now he can slam people to the floor with out throwing a punch.
Martial arts and football.... Great combination! Love em both.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
With all the whining, blaming, and paranoia here(from the left, mostly)I can't imagine the kids get to have a lot of fun outside the house.
I really don't recall seeing many libby parents in the football stands in my town.
Their kids are obviously deprived if that's the case.
How do you know which parents are "libbies" or not? Do they wear name-tags where you live?

I don't have any children myself, but my parents are both pretty liberal - and they let us play all sorts of sports. My brother played baseball, football, and ice hockey, while my sister and I both did soccer and figure skating (which is more of a contact sport than you might realize, lol). My sister now has her own children, and they are playing soccer already. They're too young for football or anything high-contact now, but given my sister's profession I imagine her son will play football... see, she's a liberal Democrat, and works for the NFL. Whoopsie!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Same with basketball the "no contact" sport that it is. lol
Also they have good what I used to call "athletic aggression" and I'm sure that shows up in BB as well. Kids learn a lot in football, I just wish our bodies were just a little tougher. A good football player will usually excel in any sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies