Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would argue that 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow left our black population particularly vulnerable to the Great Society programs.
I agree.

And a case can be made for a matriarchal society which developed during slavery and which minimized the importance of a positive and interactive father figure.

That being said, regardless of the emotional baggage - hey, it's REALLY OLD baggage. The vast majority of African Americans in the US today grew up post Civil Rights and post integration. Now - I'm not saying that they haven't suffered (in varying amounts) from prejudice - like lots of other people do for lots of other reasons (women, the disabled, the elderly, the overweight, the unattractive, the socially awkward, etc., etc.). But we've come a very long way since the 1860s - and since the 1960s. Racism may be around, but it's actually illegal to display that racism in the workforce, in schools, in housing, etc.

Also, racism goes two ways. African Americans are not immune to harboring and displaying racism themselves.

Opportunity abounds in this nation. The color of our skin only holds us back when we focus on it ourselves more than we focus on bettering ourselves. When we focus on the faults of others rather than focusing on improving ourselves, we all lose, no matter what color we are.

I think that the vast majority of problems within the African American community now are only fixable by that very community. An illegitimacy rate of 70 percent is the biggest problem I see, because it perpetrates a cycle of poverty that is crushing in it's hopelessness. White people aren't doing this to African Americans - they're doing it to themselves.

Thankfully, I've seen a growing middle and upper class in that community, and I hope it continues to grow. I am only responsible for my own actions, but I would not dream of doing ANYTHING to impede the betterment of my African American friends, family, and neighbors.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
If you live in the hoods of Atlanta, then the only real threat to your existence would indeed be other blacks. Just saying.....
Not really, like I said I can walk through virtually any hood in Atlanta, not afraid of anybody shooting me up or any other mythical legend you think that goes on in the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Slavery happened. Nothing can change that. The only thing that can be changed is the future, which is more difficult to do if you dwell on the past. What reforms need to take place in the American system? Who are people going to blame when white people are gone?

Some people think that the world is holding them back and others think nothing can hold them back. The different mindsets people hold make a difference in what can be achieved. However, if some people suffer from PTSS and not others I think it is fair to ask why. Is it just the neighborhood they grew up in, socioeconomic status, parental influence, peer influence? Like I said I don't know.
We are discussing the future. It's not about blabbing white people but recognizing the problem and dealing with it. Every black descendant of slaves as well asa natives suffer from a this type of condition, it's just that most recognize it, some through the smoke and mirrors and see exactly what's going on, others have no clue of what they are suffering through and deal with life as society has laid about for them. Most middle and upper class blacks don't have any idea of what they are going through, maybe they see it and brush it off as ordinary occurrences and part of amerikkka. Understand?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Not really, like I said I can walk through virtually any hood in Atlanta, not afraid of anybody shooting me up or any other mythical legend you think that goes on in the hood.
Yeah, nobody ever gets shot in the hood. That's a myth. And if they do, it's probably whitey's fault for afflicting them with PTSS.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM

267 posts, read 202,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I suggest you try reading a little Jewish history for starters. Throughout world history many people have been enslaved and mistreated. YOU have not. Your people are my people, and sorry my friend, but any failure you experience today is your own. I love being an American and America has been good to me. So did my parents and grandparents. You either choose to wallow in excuses or you figure out how to overcome obstacles. Got to tell you, life is a lot more enjoyable when you embrace opportunities instead of focusing on real or imagined slights. Life is unfair, accept it and move on.
Well drop some knowledge for me then, since I'm apparently ignorant of Jewish history. I'm also well aware of the world wide institution of slavery and it was nothing like the ones these pigs and dogs imposed upon my people, and you are not my people and vice versa, we don't even share the same culture so miss me with that. And you love America but I bet you dont even know the history of the statue of liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Slavery happened. Nothing can change that. The only thing that can be changed is the future, which is more difficult to do if you dwell on the past. What reforms need to take place in the American system? Who are people going to blame when white people are gone?

Some people think that the world is holding them back and others think nothing can hold them back. The different mindsets people hold make a difference in what can be achieved. However, if some people suffer from PTSS and not others I think it is fair to ask why. Is it just the neighborhood they grew up in, socioeconomic status, parental influence, peer influence? Like I said I don't know.
White people are the problem the damn near eradicated our brothers and sisters native to this land then enslaved another because they were ignorant, in general. In regards to your second paragraph you would never know with the mindstate you have.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
We are discussing the future. It's not about blabbing white people but recognizing the problem and dealing with it. Every black descendant of slaves as well asa natives suffer from a this type of condition, it's just that most recognize it, some through the smoke and mirrors and see exactly what's going on, others have no clue of what they are suffering through and deal with life as society has laid about for them. Most middle and upper class blacks don't have any idea of what they are going through, maybe they see it and brush it off as ordinary occurrences and part of amerikkka. Understand?
Just trying to contribute.

What societal changes need to take place? The corporate prison system? Family structure?

Loans and access to education are available, but you can't force someone to start a business or gain a skill unless they want to.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
So nobody wants to have a civil discussion about this topic? Yet they want to talk about black neighborhoods and guns....
Seriously, expect alot of hate in this thread lol

White people have no idea how to see this as a "open" discussion.

I expect to see the word "militant" somewhere here.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
These so called Afrikans who sold our people were mulattoes of Arabs and enslaved Afrikan women. Our first holocaust, the Arab slave trade, is something I've thoroughly researched, how they Islamicized Afrikan people across northern Afrika, and although their methods were not as hypocritical as the European it was just as damaging, so spare your only defense it won't work on me.

And I'm not implying anything I said it once more and simpler so you can understand. Afrikan people civilized the European, this isn't the white washed history you're used to so ill know you'll deny it.

If not, then tell me how this country came to be.
First off, you're veering off subject. I see you don't want to address the fact that your beloved Africans sold your ancestors off into slavery.

Second off, this is revisionist history. Pretty much every group of people has contributed to human development in some way at one time, but Africans did not singlehandedly create Europe, or America. That's just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL
Seriously? Answer my question because you are going around in circles pertaining to the Natives and Afrikans in America. You even proved my point with the bold that POW's extend to non-combatants as well, which in this case is the descendants.
Dude, you're not a POW. End of story. A POW is a prisoner of war, not some guy who happens to live in a country that enslaved his ancestors 150 freakin years ago, and posts freely on the internet about how he's a POW.

You're not a prisoner, a POW, a slave, or any of that. You're some guy who's ancestors got screwed, but um, who isn't?

Quote:
So who "beat it out" of you? Or was there ever any to begin with?
I told you.

Quote:
You're running low on energy now aren't you?
What gives you that impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post

I expect to see the word "militant" somewhere here.
Open discussion? Try reading back a few pages. And I quote: "the white man is my enemy". Yeah, real open discussion this guy's trying to have here.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM

267 posts, read 202,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree.

And a case can be made for a matriarchal society which developed during slavery and which minimized the importance of a positive and interactive father figure.

That being said, regardless of the emotional baggage - hey, it's REALLY OLD baggage. The vast majority of African Americans in the US today grew up post Civil Rights and post integration. Now - I'm not saying that they haven't suffered (in varying amounts) from prejudice - like lots of other people do for lots of other reasons (women, the disabled, the elderly, the overweight, the unattractive, the socially awkward, etc., etc.). But we've come a very long way since the 1860s - and since the 1960s. Racism may be around, but it's actually illegal to display that racism in the workforce, in schools, in housing, etc.

Also, racism goes two ways. African Americans are not immune to harboring and displaying racism themselves.

Opportunity abounds in this nation. The color of our skin only holds us back when we focus on it ourselves more than we focus on bettering ourselves. When we focus on the faults of others rather than focusing on improving ourselves, we all lose, no matter what color we are.

I think that the vast majority of problems within the African American community now are only fixable by that very community. An illegitimacy rate of 70 percent is the biggest problem I see, because it perpetrates a cycle of poverty that is crushing in it's hopelessness. White people aren't doing this to African Americans - they're doing it to themselves.

Thankfully, I've seen a growing middle and upper class in that community, and I hope it continues to grow. I am only responsible for my own actions, but I would not dream of doing ANYTHING to impede the betterment of my African American friends, family, and neighbors.

Aw man I remember when I had this mindstate, we are one and all that. I'll give you credit though you're halfway there. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, if there is a ptss why wasn't it apparent during the 60's, 70's and before. Don't buy this bs its not as complex as they make it out to be. But before you reply actually ponder on my question in regards to ptss, and slavery, as seen by general society is romanticized GREATLY when compared to the very reality of it

Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Kinda hard to have an "open" discussion with someone who does not believe you are capable of having one simply because of the color of your skin.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
White people are the problem the damn near eradicated our brothers and sisters native to this land then enslaved another because they were ignorant, in general. In regards to your second paragraph you would never know with the mindstate you have.
Okay, so get rid of white people. Then what? What do you do when white people are gone? Are under achieving AA's going to suddenly become overachievers? Why are white people not able to hold back Obama, Eric Butler, Jill Bright, Tony Prophet, and all the other AA's that apply themselves?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies