Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

With that said, I find this article interesting

Food Stamps: More Benefit to Big Food Than to the Poor? | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The difference being that I buy necessities there.....you probably by the newest, latest flat screen.....then buy chips and soda with your food stamps.

This is in fact what I witnessed there yesterday. A couple had a 60" TV, and then paid for their "groceries" with their "card".
That is how many welfare cheats do it.. the man works, the women is on welfare, the guys paycheck buys the big ticket items and the woman gets free housing, food and medical care.. they live good off the government.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
That is how many welfare cheats do it.. the man works, the women is on welfare, the guys paycheck buys the big ticket items and the woman gets free housing, food and medical care.. they live good off the government.
They stay unmarried.

We just had an 18 year old HS senior come to school bragging that his girlfriend is now old enough to get on the government programs and he was moving in with her and his son.

The government has done an excellent job of removing the "stigma" of being on government programs.

You've got high school kids that know the ropes and loopholes in our programs.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yet on paper, there is no man.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In some cases Walmart is able to contract for even more substandard products with those same "brand names" at other stores.

Buying a name brand at Walmart for cheaper does not necessarily mean you are getting the same product sold somewhere else for more.
I visited a factory in China 8 years ago. They didn't connect all the wires on the toasters they were delivering to Wal-Mart. The Macy's toasters were hand polished and a monk blew incense over them.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Yet on paper, there is no man.
Right. There's nothing that says they have to get married.
Plenty of that going on in my rural town.

And it would be quite silly to think the government doesn't know it's going on either.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Well maybe if many of the knuckle dragging cusomer got it and understood that those low prices are a by product of shipping manufacturing to China and demanded "Made in The USA" instead, jobs would return and they would be gainfully and competitively employed and paid at a wage that is not forced to compete with China. These fools are too dense to get such a simple concept as they gleefully decry how Walmart has given them access to cheaper prices...now they cannot even afford those. The irony would be hilarious if it were not so pathetic.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It's not a worthless argument. The truth is, those who mind our business have no idea who is using food stamps.
I don't even know how you can tell. I have literally never noticed it. And I don't care but you can see the anger and resentment that so many on this forum live with on a daily basis. I think it's sad.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I shop at Walmart, shop at Safeway, shop at City Market. I'm far from broke, Walmart is convenient. I don't get these so called elite people who refuse, or rather refuse to admit, they shop at Walmart. What's the big deal?
I just came from Wal-Mart, I like their store brand sausage patties, makes for a good breakfast with my bagels I get from Wegman's

Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I visited a factory in China 8 years ago. They didn't connect all the wires on the toasters they were delivering to Wal-Mart. The Macy's toasters were hand polished and a monk blew incense over them.

I guess you didn't know that Walmart has such clout they can ask the manufacturer to make changes to save them money so they can offer the product cheaper than the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies