Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If the free market wants this country to fall, then why not let it fall? Why argue with the will of the free market?

Why would you want our country to fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Your taxes didn't go up... The tax holiday president Bush gave you expired.
You mean the tax holiday that Obama gave us.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Don't worry, 0bama is going to push green energy, climate change legislation, new EPA regulations against coal energy, cap and trade, immigrations reform, gun control, and throwing more money at "shovel ready jobs" so soon enough everyone will have a job and happy days will be here.
Good, because obviously markets like Walmart bring down the country and then eventually fail themselves!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would you want our country to fail?
The free market isn't me. It is the free will of the people, it is the sum of all economic forces.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Items with the same UPC code or model number have the exact same features. Costco is famous for the special Costco models. They usually have MORE features.

An F150XL is the same as an XLT under the hood. Same assembly line. The difference is trim.
And these stores love customers like you!

Quote:
The discount warehouse chain Costco got something from Tiffany for Valentine’s Day: a lawsuit claiming it had sold diamond engagement rings falsely marketed in stores using the jeweler’s name

Tiffany Rings at Costco? Not Now, or Ever, the Jeweler Says

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
A primer that the *******s here need to pay special attention to. You can thank me later!

Wal-Mart shares are tanking after the company’s executives called February sales a “total disaster.â€

Wal-Mart is facing a scary reality: the ailing finances of its core customers, Brian Sozzi, chief equities analyst at NBG Productions, told us.

“Wal-Mart shoppers are the barometer of the U.S. consumer, and these emails reflect common sense about customers,†Sozzi told us. “The consumer isn’t mentally or physically ready to spend on discretionary inventory and there’s no reason to be optimistic.â€

It is all very predictable. Raise taxes and people buy less stuff. The velocity of money slows. There are fewer sales taxes collected in stores. Employees get laid off and stop paying income taxes. Laid off employees start collecting government checks. Tax revenues fall. Deficits increase.

Walmart Struggles With Payroll Taxes - Business Insider

But hey, by all means Obama. Just keep on raising taxes.
We, at our house, haven't cut back on our buying yet but since my wife got a letter from the state retirement group that pays both of us out retirement funds that they were going to have to withhold a sizable amount ($190 per month) from her check for income tax purposes she is thinking hard about cutting back. Of course, most of her cut will be on gasoline starting this weekend. That $190 per month is a pile compared to what they had to do before January 1.

I think that Obama has cut his own throat but then I find few leaners who know what the difference in taxes and revenues really are where government is concerned. Many of them will begin feeling the pain soon and won't understand what you said yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I shop at Wal Mart. And I have a job...right now. Who knows about next year...I buy food. Essentials. Nothing else. No colorful St. Patrick's Day geegaws, made in China, or electronic gadgets, made in China...Hmmm..I guess China factory workers are doing okay...too bad they don't shop at Wal Mart.

Am I the only one in the United States buying only things I need? I wonder of our economy has changed the materialism mind set of American shoppers....I did not see any folks buying fancy gadgets yesterday...one Mother was fretting over buying bread, on the reduced bakery shelf. To go with the "Great Value" hotdogs in her cart...no geegaws in her cart either.
You're not alone. I'm buying only essentials right now. Until my savings rate is up to where it should be, I will continue. I have been known, in the past, to buy decorations and such but I'm thinking I've sent enough of my money to China. It's time to stop that even when I can afford it again.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I get paid bi monthly and I believe my check was around $70 shorter. Multiply that out by millions and that is more than marginal. Add in my wife's check which was around $40 and that is $200 a month. No small amount.
My wife just got a notice that her check would be $190 per month shorter and that is on a retired person's pension. She is really worried about that and has said some very uncomplimentary things about Obama since that letter got here. Of course, both of us do that all the time.

I wonder if there are any left leaners here who can tell me the difference in revenue that Obama talks about all the time and taxes.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
The "executives" haven't shopped at a typical Wal-mart store lately either. 100% of my visits over the past five years have resulted in a stockout of an item I intended to buy. It is system wide (three local stores have the same results) and over time I have learned to go to the local Krogers first to buy what I need and Wal-mart for what I want. If I spend an extra 5 to 10 dollars at Kroger I SAVE my gas and time going into a store that I KNOW will not have the items I want on the shelves.

I am serious. Empty shelves on common items. Asking a worker always results in the same B.S. "the truck didn't bring it this week".

Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
What??? People don't not buy things because of high taxes. People don't buy things because of low wages.
I think you are confused since many of us have to exist on retirement pay of one kind or another and the income taxes have gone up considerably since January 1. We have to get all those funds built up to take care of Obamacare in a year from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies