Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Spoken like someone with no understanding of human behavior.

Seriously, 80% of people in a triangle test can't tell coke from pepsi

People will say that Corn Flakes that are 100% the same, will say the one with the box noting Kellogs taste better.

The impact of a brand on people, and how it impacts perception is a science. It is something we pay people lots of money to manage. Its something that companies like PG, Kraft, and Nestle can't survive without.

To tell me that the individual person can actually identify differences in products with biases, is something not supported by any evidence/fact/reality
I doubt anyone can't tell Coke from Pepsi. You can taste the sugar in Coke more so than Pepsi. Diet drinks might be another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Walmart is the second largest employer in America, right behind governments.

Walmart is a single shining example of American exceptionalism, and has sales equivalent to the GDP of many nations. If Walmart were a country, it would have the 26th largest economy in the world.

Walmart offers American exactly what they want,....a one-stop service for groceries, automotive, electronics, garden, fuel, banking, prescription drugs,..etc., etc.,.....

Twenty-five percent of all money that Americans spend for groceries is spent at Walmart.

Walmart is doing something right, it sells more than five times more than it Costco, its nearest retail competitor.

Some people like Walmart, just like some people like Fords.

Shop where you like, and buy what you want.

It's a free country.
A better comparison would be Sam's club and Costco. In that regard Costco performs significantly better. Sam's has less employees, more stores, and about 50% less sales per square foot. Costco also pays their employees more than Sam's club. The 2 companies do have different market segments though and this is seen in the quality and price of their products.

If Sam's Club Can Match Costco's Efficiency, Wal-Mart Goes To $74 - Forbes

"In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Ms. Brewer laid out some strategies and tactics that could help the wholesale club achieve its goal of being a $100 billion dollar business. Costco, for its part, is nearly there with $97 billion in annual sales vs. Sam's $53.8 billion. While Sam's has only about 68 percent of the employees of its rival, the company has 616 stores to Costco's 612."

RetailWire Discussion: Can Sam's Club Overtake Costco?
What's the best warehouse store? - Your Money - MSN Money
Costco - Company Profile
The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Could be that Walmart management just can not grasp the fact that many people just don't like Walnart. In fact, a lot of their own employees don't like them either.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Could be that Walmart management just can not grasp the fact that many people just don't like Walnart. In fact, a lot of their own employees don't like them either.
I drove by a Wal Mart once and nobody forced me to park and shop.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
I think we all are forced to shop there. Or at least the people who can't afford to shop elsewhere. Sometimes its even convenient when you do have the money to shop elsewhere when you need items from different categories.

I'd say its pretty close to a monopoly. They control suppliers and the markets in which to sell the goods. They control the pay that 1% of the country makes and the heirs of the company own over 40% of America's wealth.

That and wars. And other frivolous things.

America

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
A primer that the *******s here need to pay special attention to. You can thank me later!

Wal-Mart shares are tanking after the company’s executives called February sales a “total disaster.”

Wal-Mart is facing a scary reality: the ailing finances of its core customers, Brian Sozzi, chief equities analyst at NBG Productions, told us.

“Wal-Mart shoppers are the barometer of the U.S. consumer, and these emails reflect common sense about customers,” Sozzi told us. “The consumer isn’t mentally or physically ready to spend on discretionary inventory and there’s no reason to be optimistic.”

It is all very predictable. Raise taxes and people buy less stuff. The velocity of money slows. There are fewer sales taxes collected in stores. Employees get laid off and stop paying income taxes. Laid off employees start collecting government checks. Tax revenues fall. Deficits increase.

Walmart Struggles With Payroll Taxes - Business Insider

But hey, by all means Obama. Just keep on raising taxes.
Walmart shoppers are not a barometer of anything except what people in trailer parks are having for dinner. Stores like Sears and Dominicks where the middle class shop are barometers of the economy.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I am not a Walfart hater and I am not going to go out and protest every new Walfart but I don't shop there either except for cell phones. They do have some good pre paid cell plans.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's been covered and this is a lame ass way to start a thread.
I liked it!
. . . seems a bit telling that you seem to be offended.

And here I thought the economy was just hunky-dory, best it's been since Obama took office.

Wait a minute . . .

I guess breaking even going into your fifth year isn't really something to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies