Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,094 times

Advertisements

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/02/...-peaceful.html
Really good article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Yeah, submitting to a background check every time you acquire a new gun, even one you buy from your neighbor.

There is no perfect solution, there will always be gun deaths, but limiting access to criminals who buy their guns without background checks, legally, exploiting the person to person sale is a start.

I also think if a parents gun is stolen by their child, because it wasn't properly secured, and that child goes to school and kills a bunch of kids, the parents should be tried for negligent homicide. Might make folks lock up their weapons better.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM

Criminals don't get background checks.So once again doing nothing but cracking down on law abiding citizens...at least for the time being law abiding.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Criminals don't get background checks.So once again doing nothing but cracking down on law abiding citizens...at least for the time being law abiding.
They don't because they can legally buy guns from an individual without a background check. It makes it harder to obtain those guns, and easier for police to arrest those who continually sale to criminals.

Like the Arizona law on immigration, when the gop said "well if they have nothing to hide, they will have id", if you have nothing to hide, doesn't hurt you to submit to a background check when buying a gun from your neighbor.

14,888 posts, read 10,025,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, submitting to a background check every time you acquire a new gun, even one you buy from your neighbor.

There is no perfect solution, there will always be gun deaths, but limiting access to criminals who buy their guns without background checks, legally, exploiting the person to person sale is a start.

I also think if a parents gun is stolen by their child, because it wasn't properly secured, and that child goes to school and kills a bunch of kids, the parents should be tried for negligent homicide. Might make folks lock up their weapons better.
Keeping guns secure would be a whole lot easier if people were actually allowed to carry them in more cases.

14,665 posts, read 14,624,550 times
Quote:
So you don't favor background checks at all? Really, I have to go through fairly stringent tests and background checks to operate one deadly machine (automobile), but I should be able to buy a gun like a pack of gum?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM

651 posts, read 704,882 times
I thought there was a possibility but since seeing how the left went bat crap crazy on the ban wagon I decided to join the NRA and oppose any new gun laws and I voted twice for Obama. Now I will vote Republican. I want many liberal things but I am going to vote to keep these far left wing nuts on hold and I will do the same when the far right nuts go too far.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They don't because they can legally buy guns from an individual without a background check. It makes it harder to obtain those guns, and easier for police to arrest those who continually sale to criminals.

Like the Arizona law on immigration, when the gop said "well if they have nothing to hide, they will have id", if you have nothing to hide, doesn't hurt you to submit to a background check when buying a gun from your neighbor.
That's a scary way to live...if you have nothing to hide let the government interfere in your life however they want...I don't want them knowing anything about me.Them knowing who has guns makes it easier to confiscate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So you don't favor background checks at all? Really, I have to go through fairly stringent tests and background checks to operate one deadly machine (automobile), but I should be able to buy a gun like a pack of gum?
Nope.Don't believe in the DMV crap either. Cost me 105$ 2 days ago to just get a license in a new state! 30$ application fee is garbage...such a racket the state is.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Keeping guns secure would be a whole lot easier if people were actually allowed to carry them in more cases.
Like most dangerous things I own, I put my guns in a safe, where I know the pass code.

If you can't secure your weapons, then you shouldn't buy them. If your kids take those guns and hurt others, then you were negligent.

Private business owners, the place you work would have to pay higher insurance rates if guns were allowed to he carried on their property, we are debating this now in Tennessee.

And Anthony scalia has already said the state and local governments are within their power to ban concealed or open carry.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,462,946 times
Quote:
Should we try to make things more difficult for the next generation of criminals? There`s no law that we can enact today that will make an immediate impact but why roll over for the up and coming criminals. I understand that the NRA gets paid to oppose gun laws but why should we let the country be destroyed by these pukes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies