Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
We all don't live in the same town or community, so we've had different life experiences. The issue can cross class lines in one town and not cross out of the working class at all in the next town over.
Yes so because there is an exception somewhere out there must mean there is no problem, What a relief.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM

So far 3 pages and looks like all the Black posters are reverting to the same tired routine of denial, deflection and defamation yet no one addresses the points made in the article.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Multiple issues.

It seems that many African-American children carry frustration and/or anger that children should not have to deal with. It can stem from the past, from present prejudice experienced but most of all, it stems from unhealthy homes. Further, when parents are too busy for their children and/or the children feel they have inadequate support at home, their frustrations will be misplaced. Thus, the poor attitudes of many towards learning.

Note that children of all other backgrounds can be seen displaying the same poor behavior when dealing with the same/similar issues. The difference is often that African-American children and certain other minority groups may face more prejudice based on the lingering racism that people have (including teachers).

For example, in middle school, I witnessed a White American teacher state quite loudly to another White American teacher that "Hispanic kids can't do math." Of course, we know that her ideas will likely affect the attention she gives certain students as opposed to others and how she treats them (and it surely did). Now my reaction was to note the teacher's character and go home and speak to my parents about the matter. Other children, who may have more issues to deal with and little to no support at home, may have been more likely to react poorly. At the end of the day, that child will be at a disadvantage...likely suspended etc.

Over and over again, children with unhealthy homes and poor coping skills will act out - often without any provocation - and their reactions to their lack of satisfaction with life results in their rejection of their schooling, among other things. All of this starts at HOME.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So far 3 pages and looks like all the Black posters are reverting to the same tired routine of denial, deflection and defamation yet no one addresses the points made in the article.
And none of them have posted links to their studies and statistics.
Denial does run deep. We do not want to face the truth.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Multiple issues.

It seems that many African-American children carry frustration and/or anger that children should not have to deal with. It can stem from the past, from present prejudice experienced but most of all, it stems from unhealthy homes. Further, when parents are too busy for their children and/or the children feel they have inadequate support at home, their frustrations will be misplaced. Thus, the poor attitudes of many towards learning.

Note that children of all other backgrounds can be seen displaying the same poor behavior when dealing with the same/similar issues. The difference is often that African-American children may face more prejudice based on the lingering racism that people have (including teachers).

For example, in middle school, I witnessed a White American teacher state quite loudly to another White American teacher that "Hispanic kids can't do math." Of course, we know that her ideas will likely affect the attention she gives certain students as opposed to others and how she treats them (and it surely did). Now my reaction was to note the teacher's character and go home and speak to my parents about the matter. Other children, who may have more issues to deal with and little to no support at home, may have been more likely to react poorly. At the end of the day, that child will be at a disadvantage...likely suspended etc.

Over and over again, children with poor homes and coping skills will act out - often without any provocation - and their reactions to their lack of satisfaction with life results in their rejection of their schooling, among other things. All of this starts at HOME.
Agreed but I think the educator is on to something about Black kids wanting to "out-Negro" each other. I witnessed this at school, smart Black kids would play dumb and adopt a thug persona because that's what society and their peers said Blacks should be. So that's why you have Black kids in even middle class backgrounds adopt the Lil Wayne persona and askew academic performance.

I had the vice principal in our neighborhood school say he has students who will purposely throw exams and will stuff homework in their lockers instead of turning it in. They don't want their peers to think they are smart or nerds.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM

172 posts, read 151,771 times
Quote:
OK Ill bit. So is the answer not to have Blacks present in the class room? Maybe this educator couldn't handle the kids. In school I knew teachers who were weak and should have never taught above 3rd grade and yet there they were. All students take advantage of those types. So this educator may be the problem. As for the discipline we all know Black kids (especially boys) get punished more harshly for the same offense as their White counter parts. Even by Black educators. Now let me give you what you want. Yes Blacks can be harder to control if they don't have family that respects education. Yes Black males have failed their families and need to pull themselves up.

Now what is your point OP? Not the educators but yours?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,501 times

The top 20% of almost every diverse high school consist of East Asian kids and whites. At the bottom is usually mostly black and first/second generation hispanic kids.

That's no news. It's always been like that.

It is what it is. The question is, how do we deal with it?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Agreed but I think the educator is on to something about Black kids wanting to "out-Negro" each other. I witnessed this at school, smart Black kids would play dumb and adopt a thug persona because that's what society and their peers said Blacks should be. So that's why you have Black kids in even middle class backgrounds adopt the Lil Wayne persona and askew academic performance.

I had the vice principal in our neighborhood school say he has students who will purposely throw exams and will stuff homework in their lockers instead of turning it in. They don't want their peers to think they are smart or nerds.
Yes and blame for that still comes back to the home. The parents allow that mess. In my parents' middle class neighborhood and sometimes those like it, some of these AA boys are hanging on the street corner like it is "the hood" and sometimes staring into people's cars as if to be intimidating as they drive by. The parents are allowing that mess. The parents buy the clothes they wear that many times reflects the thuggish culture. The parents are allowing the negative popular culture to raise their children instead of instilling in them proper behavior and values.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1 View Post
OK Ill bit. So is the answer not to have Blacks present in the class room? Maybe this educator couldn't handle the kids. In school I knew teachers who were weak and should have never taught above 3rd grade and yet there they were. All students take advantage of those types. So this educator may be the problem. As for the discipline we all know Black kids (especially boys) get punished more harshly for the same offense as their White counter parts. Even by Black educators. Now let me give you what you want. Yes Blacks can be harder to control if they don't have family that respects education. Yes Black males have failed their families and need to pull themselves up.

Now what is your point OP? Not the educators but yours?
That's why it is critical that parents are involved in the lives of their children. School is not just a babysitting service. If they don't want parental responsibilities, then they ought not to have children. Those boys NEED the support. If they don't have it, they have no one in their corner when they are mistreated by teachers and others...and they get angrier and angrier. They are human...that's how most children would react if they had no one in their corner.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM

172 posts, read 151,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yes and blame for that still comes back to the home. The parents allow that mess. In my parents' middle class neighborhood and sometimes those like it, some of these AA boys are hanging on the street corner like it is "the hood" and sometimes staring into people's cars as if to be intimidating as they drive by. The parents are allowing that mess. The parents buy the clothes they wear that many times reflects the thuggish culture. The parents are allowing the negative popular culture to raise their children instead of instilling in them proper behavior and values.
Why do all Black kids have to be judge by the worst examples they have to offer. White kids are not judge by their bottom feeders. Instead they are looked at from the best they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies