Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You can't see through the fact-free innuendo and the distortions??
** According to Paul: The sequester was the "president's idea" and he "signed it into law".
Whose Sequester Is It Anyway? : It's All Politics : NPR
Excerpt: "Though Obama proposed the idea, it's unlike Obamacare — which received no GOP House votes. Indeed, 174 House Republicans, a majority of the majority, joined 95 Democrats to pass the plan in that body".

So you see it was debated, approved in congress, and presented to Obama for his signature - by Republicans. Why does Paul leave this little fact out of his statements? Not important?

** Why does he not mention Wall Street malfeasance, which was a target of the original tea party? Why no longer an issue? We could recoup billions through tax fairness and closing loopholes for the wealthy, yet all he favors are cuts to the lower classes.

** He wants to "not replace" government workers who retire or quit. He says this is not "losing jobs".

** Citing demonstrations, he says we should cut aid to countries who don't like us. No evidence given that these are anything but public demonstrations, yet he uses these as reason to cut off those governments.

Your boy is a member of the "new" tea party faction which has sold out to Wall Street. Maybe you should take back your movement and restore it to its original purpose.
Also, no Fox puffball interview of a republican should be offered as proof of anything. Fox is not, and was never meant to be, journalism.
Yes Republicans voted for it.
They are the ones that want it to go though!!

Obama is the one backtracking!!!

He does want to close the loopholes!

Not replacing those works are a SAVINGS!

The evidence of those demonstrations ARE IN THE VIDEO I posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Rand Paul is not a Libertarian. His views on abortion, gay issues, and drug legalization are far from what Libertarians believe.

From the official website of the Libertarian Party: (italics are mine)

Quote:
1.2 Personal Privacy
Libertarians support the rights recognized by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons, homes, and property. Protection from unreasonable search and seizure should include records held by third parties, such as email, medical, and library records. Only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed crimes. We favor the repeal of all laws creating “crimes” without victims, such as the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes.

1.3 Personal Relationships
Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

1.4 Abortion
Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Rand Paul is not a Libertarian. His views on abortion, gay issues, and drug legalization are far from what Libertarians believe.

From the official website of the Libertarian Party: (italics are mine)
His views as a Republican align most with Libertarians than Republican views.

I believe he supports marijuana legalization.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
His views as a Republican align most with Libertarians than Republican views.

Rand Paul is not his father and he's playing it safe He's for decriminalizing marijuana and leaving
legalization of it to the individual states. But like his father, he is for lifting the prohibition on HEMP.

Hemp History Week 2013 - YouTube

Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
He supports a relaxing of laws and lesser penalties, and is ok with medical marijuana.
That's a long, long way from the Libertarian viewpoint.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Rand Paul is not his father and he's playing it safe He's for decriminalizing marijuana and leaving
legalization of it to the individual states. But like his father, he is for lifting the prohibition on HEMP.

Hemp History Week 2013 - YouTube
Good enough for me.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think with cuts coming just l;ike europe with their vcuts pat rtial started ;voters will want someone other than tax and spend demopcrats once they see what it has meant i the end. that is why democrats are postponig any cuts .People will quickly see that the welth sharing and contimuing to spend is much worse than they imgained. One reason whydemocrats are so wantig to delay the sequester they helped creat and at one time want to let go into effect but now see it slowing the econmy thru Obama term. The polcies they passed ahvent wroked;lthe Fed has help but is getting shaky o what further QE consequecnes will be and sequester coming. Repulbicans were smart i the tax dfeal they came to with Obam. He down is wantig more but the topicis cuts or sequester.This at a time when Simpson?Bowles say deeeper cuts that two years ago are now needed from worsening position on deficit .

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We can't be concentrating on Romney or what he said during the campaign. That's old news.
Just believe what he said while campaigning - good tactic for getting at the truth.
But what about Rand Paul? There were moderate republicans in the race who were soundly ostracized by the likes of Rand Paul and the new tea party "Wall Street patriots".

Romney always said what his audience or the media wanted to hear.

Romney- I was a Severely Conservative Governor - YouTube

Mitt Romney: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" - YouTube

Automobile Industry: Mitt Romney flip-flops on the Automobile Industry - WhichMitt.com - YouTube

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
We can't be concentrating on Romney or what he said during the campaign. That's old news.
Just believe what he said while campaigning - good tactic for getting at the truth.
But what about Rand Paul? There were moderate republicans in the race who were soundly ostracized by the likes of Rand Paul and the new tea party "Wall Street patriots".

Romney always said what his audience or the media wanted to hear.

Romney- I was a Severely Conservative Governor - YouTube

Mitt Romney: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" - YouTube

Automobile Industry: Mitt Romney flip-flops on the Automobile Industry - WhichMitt.com - YouTube
Rand Paul never ran last election.
He's also a very different man with a lot more sense than Mitt Romney.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Rand Paul never ran last election.
He's also a very different man with a lot more sense than Mitt Romney.
The people who supported Romney liked his speeches, just as you like Rand Paul's speeches.
Let's clear some things up. Lots of what the Tea Party and Libertarians say in speeches sound really good, but I look beyond the speeches and interviews because much isn't talked about. I have searched the TP website, and I find little to zero information.
What is the TP position on the following and how do they differ from Libertarians:
* Capital gains taxes
* Privatization and public lands
* Tax breaks for Big Oil and other profitable corporations
* Offshore tax shelters
* Rewarding companies for outsourcing jobs
* Labor unions
* Lobbyists
* Corporate influence in government
* Campaign finance and money in politics
* The Citizens United ruling

Here is the TP platform in case nobody has seen it.
https://www.teapartypatriots.org/about/

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-23-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies