Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As someone already pointed out, I believe that Ronnie Barrett of .50 cal fame was the first to take this stand. When CA banned his guns for civilians, he said fine, I'm not selling to LE in your state either. In his case, he was in a rare position to inflict pain since his company makes the only widely used .50 cal semi-auto rifle, AFAIK. Granted there is not much call for that in police work, but the DEA and Border Patrol use them, and doubtless there are CA LE agencies that would covet them.

It's a welcome trend, especially with innovators like Magpul and La Rue jumping on. Any company that takes this stand is more likely to get my business.
Ronnie Barrett did as you said, but took it further. He refused to service any rifles from California, after several California police associations supported the idiotic .50 ban. There is no need for the police to have any more firepower or capacity than any other civilian in the state. Just because they work for the government doesn't make them special or more important than any other citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I actually would have scratched my head at that business model. Now, if the manufacture refused to sell to Blacks or gays or women or muslims...then I would sit up and take notice, otherwise I could give a sh* t who they sell to...
Could you have taken my statement any further out of context? I dont even come close to fathoming the direction you went here. At any rate, there is no "business model" expressed or implied. My statement was purely political, from my poin political, from my point of view. The decision to not sell to LE in ban states is also purely political. The only other avenue they could have taken would have been to suspend civilian sales, in deference to DC, which they could have easily done if contracts were on the line. THAT would have been a politically motivated business model...from a certain point of view. Had they done the latter, regardless of the motivating factor, the anti firearms crowd would have given them accolades from here to the worlds end.

As I said, it's an interesting paradox. How you veered off into race, gender, religion and what have you ratber has me scratching my head. Is civilian versus government sales business not provacative enough to be worthy of notice, then?

Hmmm....granted, the things you cite would be much easier to use in building a stereotype of the shooting community as racist, homophobic, misogynistic, buffoons. Lmao. Such is not fact, but it makes for highly emotional points when hurled from a soap box.

Verily, tbis is the only platcorm that the anti 2A crowd has to stand on. Emotionally charged rhetoric, designed to sway the uninformed to their side without having to present a single fact or truth.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If I was Smith & Wesson I'd be making some phone calls.

[capture some market share]
We gun owners have already slapped Colt and S&W on the wrist... They won't make the same error twice. Nice try though.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And thats a free country option, move to a state with better laws.

Of course, you could be like me in Tennessee. I'm home again, don't want to move again, so I'll fight and change the laws where I'm at for things I want. Or, I'll deal with it.

Thats a personal choice, are assault weapons really so important to you, that you'll move for them? My guess is that 99% of the population is going to say no, I'll stay where I'm at.
You own a Browning Automatic Rifle ..... That IS a assault rifle, and I hope they come for your guns, because of all people you deserve it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
At this rate we will have the Cops and the *******s outgunned. The anti 2A thing may work out well for us Pro 2A
types after all.

The announcements read:

LaRue Tactical

Effective today, in an effort to see that no legal mistakes are made by LaRue Tactical and/or its employees, we will apply all current State and Local Laws (as applied to civilians) to state and local law enforcement / government agencies. In other words, LaRue Tactical will limit all sales to what law-abiding citizens residing in their districts can purchase or possess.

Olympic Arms

Due the passing of this legislation, Olympic Arms would like to announce that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee of such an entity – will no longer be served as customers.

In short, Olympic Arms will no longer be doing business with the State of New York or any governmental entity or employee of such governmental entity within the State of New York – henceforth and until such legislation is repealed, and an apology made to the good people of the State of New York and the American people.

Extreme Firepower Inc, LLC

The Federal Government and several states have enacted gun control laws that restrict the public from owning and possessing certain types of firearms. Law-enforcement agencies are typically exempt from these restrictions. EFI, LLC does not recognize law-enforcement exemptions to local, state, and federal gun control laws. If a product that we manufacture is not legal for a private citizen to own in a jurisdiction, we will not sell that product to a law-enforcement agency in that jurisdiction.

Templar Custom

We will not sell arms to agents of the state of New York that hold themselves to be “more equal†than their citizens.

As long as the legislators of New York think they have the power to limit the rights of their citizens, in defiance of the Constitution, we at Templar will not sell them firearms to enforce their edicts.

Templar Custom is announcing that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee will no longer be served as customers.

York Arms

Based on the recent legislation in New York, we are prohibited from selling rifles and receivers to residents of New York. We have chosen to extend that prohibition to all governmental agencies associated with or located within New York. As a result we have halted sales of rifles, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, machine guns, and silencers to New York governmental agencies.

Cheaper than Dirt

Recently, companies such as LaRue Tactical and Olympic Arms have announced that they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel in states that deny the right to own those items to civilians. It has been and will continue to be Cheaper Than Dirt’s policy to not to sell prohibited items to government agencies and/or agents in states, counties, cities, and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their citizens. We support and encourage other companies that share in this policy.

Second Amendment activist groups Guns Save Life and Grass Roots North Carolina are currently urging big gun manufacturers Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson, and Glock to halt their sales to government agencies within states that have clamped down on their residents’ right to bear arms.
Well there goes LEO discounts I'ld say

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I wonder if other pension funds will follow suit.

NYC teacher pension fund pulls money from gun makers | Reuters
LOL the selling of stocks won't harm the makers a bit, since someone bought the stocks.

That's a really big DUH moment for you i bet.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Buh-bye, Magpul. We passed the ban today.

Keep your we to yourself us western slope folks dont plan on obeying any stupid laws.Denver is not even on this side of the divide and refuses to even let us have CO tv so we get all our news from NM about our own state!! Sorry but we dont accept Denver laws down here.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I've openly stated my position on gun control on this board MANY times. I'm against banning guns, including assault rifles. I'm against banning high capacity magazines too. Its a waste of time, money, and resources. It will not solve anything.

Right now, many persons in this country are stockpiling firearms, ammunition, and magazines. So, what am I supposed to do, when you or anyone else is at the shooting range, with an AR and 30 round magazines? Walk up and say, "When did you buy those?" How in the hell am I supposed to know if you bought those magazines before, during, or after a ban?

What, are we really going to lock up all these people? Moreover, I have two personal AR's. Those rifles will be functioning for the next 200+ years. One is already 30 yrs old and works perfectly. So, how is banning them now going solve any firearms related violence? Not too mention, I believe 56% of all firearms related murders are done with handguns; not an assault weapon.

So, the bottom line is this: An assault weapons ban will accomplish NOTHING. Except to make a few people feel good. It looks great on paper, in reality, it is worthless. UNLESS, with the ban, comes a gun confiscation. So what now? We are going to start kicking in doors to people and taking their firearms? Its totally absurd and a waste of time. The cat is out of the bag and you aren't putting it back in.

I say we need to take all this money were wasting on this, all the time and effort/resources, and prop up our mental health services. THAT is where we should be spending our time and efforts.

That's a goddamned good thing you feel that way too, because if you did it to me i would tell to your face it's none of your goddamned business.

You damned high paid welfare recipients work for ME not the other way around. You better get up on what a public servant IS Phil....

If a ban comes I will personally take that as an act of treason by whom ever passes such. I will work towards correcting that by any means necessary.

What you need to figure out is if you are willing to break your oath to protect and uphold the CONS.

Doesn't look much like that will be a problem to me since you like welfare so much.

We the people have the Right.. The Right given us by the Creator the Highest Power, and No goddamned whiney liberal in the Govt can change that period.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Phil, I've read a lot of your posts and have gained much respect for your viewpoint - particularly as a police officer, a group that has had my life-long respect and gratitude.

I'm thus curious as to where you come down on gun distribution to the public. I have leaned more and more toward gun control in recent years. And, given the recent huge escalation in random gun violence caused by the mentally deranged, I have come to a position that the public at large simply cannot be trusted with guns. It is and always will be impossible to predict or to sort out those who would never be a threat to public safety from those who could well be. My position today is that we must move forward from the Neanderthals we once were and begin to see the mass proliferation of killing machines for the insanity that it is.

Where do you come down on Joe Schmo's access to guns?
You too can feel Free to go Pound Salt... Seething to break the LAW set forth by the CONS aren't you..

You think you are better than We the People...... Push that too far and you may get a real nasty surprise.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Too bad we can't get car makers to quit selling cars to COPS LOL Put the meaning of flat foot back on the job.

Bet that would take the pastries out of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies