Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals Taking Tax Deductions: Hypocritical?
Yep. 47 58.02%
Nope. 34 41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,710,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Well, Warren Buffett is a hypocrite, begging to pay more taxes while:

1) His company owes a Billion Dollars in back taxes dating back a decade

2) His company lobbys ($) for tax breaks for jet owners

3) His own plan to make himself pay more, doesn't really make him pay more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How do you figure? It looks to me like Buffett wanted to raise capital gains and dividend taxes, which comprise most of his personal income.

*crickets*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,384,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Had three kids. ALL went to private schools.

See how that works? Its called personal responsibility and taking care of your own family. I don't ask you to pay money for my children, don't ask me to pay money for yours. You will of course, you want your cake and eat it too.

Good for you!

I'm sure the United States would be so much better off economically without public education.

We can just rely on importing people from other countries with strong public education systems to do jobs that require any amount of brains. Hell, we already do for the tech and engineering fields.

Everyone knows that nations with large masses of uneducated and unemployable people are GREAT places to live with roaring high tech economies.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
People can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, can't they?
I don't believe so because being "socially liberal" usually includes public funding of public entitlement programs and liberal pet projects.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Good for you!

I'm sure the United States would be so much better off economically without public education.

We can just rely on importing people from other countries with strong public education systems to do jobs that require any amount of brains. Hell, we already do for the tech and engineering fields.

Everyone knows that nations with large masses of uneducated and unemployable people are GREAT places to live with roaring high tech economies.
Unable to intellectually criticize individual responsibility, snarky, sarcastic blather is the message of the Left.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I don't believe so because being "socially liberal" usually includes public funding of public entitlement programs and liberal pet projects.

Aww, you mean that in a democracy people are going to demand good government programs for the tax money spent?

Gee, if only there were examples of decently sized, nice places to live on this earth that WEREN'T full of liberals looking to fund public programs.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Unable to intellectually criticize individual responsibility, snarky, sarcastic blather is the message of the Left.

There is no criticism against "personal responsibility."

Personal responsibility is a goal.

Those of us who live (and who have travelled) in the REAL WORLD deal with problems and situations as they are here on a place called PLANET EARTH.

Not to mention no conservative can deny that the economic, crime and social conditions in the United States today would be infinitely worse if not for the robust universal education system we have in this country.

MOST people send their kids to PUBLIC schools - conservative AND liberal.

Your inability to see past your own damn wallet and not the "big picture" is the conservative downfall.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Aww, you mean that in a democracy people are going to demand good government programs for the tax money spent?

Gee, if only there were examples of decently sized, nice places to live on this earth that WEREN'T full of liberals looking to fund public programs.
The U.S.A. is a Federal Republic, not a democracy.

If only there was a decently sized, "nice" place to send all the Liberals to support themselves and a totalitarian left-wing government. Oh I know! Cuba! It's beautiful in the Caribbean this time of year!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,542,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
The idea that Warren Buffet is a hypocrite for not voluntarily paying more in taxes is a nonsensical, child-like argument.

A hypocrite in this usage is "a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings." His belief is that wealthy people should have to pay more in taxes. He would be a hypocrite if his belief was that wealthy people should voluntarily pay more in taxes, while not doing so himself. That is not his belief.

If someone is in favor of the issuance of speeding tickets, but doesn't voluntarily write a check to the government every time they go over the posted speed limit, does that make them a hypocrite?

You think the United States should invade Iran? Feel free to go there, grab a gun, and start shooting at their army. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

You think your city needs more police officers? Feel free to go to the police station and start training to become a city cop. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

You think your local high school needs a new gymnasium? Feel free to grab some power tools and start building it, otherwise you're a hypocrite.

See how completely asinine this argument is?
Wow. MSNBC has done a number on you for sure!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The U.S.A. is a Federal Republic, not a democracy.
Republic is a form of democracy... representative democracy.

Also, questions at the local level are often much more democractic and referendum based than at the national level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY
If only there was a decently sized, "nice" place to send all the Liberals to support themselves and a totalitarian left-wing government. Oh I know! Cuba! It's beautiful in the Caribbean this time of year!

No modern day liberals support a "totalitarian left wing government."

That is your problem. You're still chasing red commie demons like it's 1955.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,731,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Wow. MSNBC has done a number on you for sure!
What's the matter, couldn't manage to come up with a rebuttal so you had to resort to ad hominem attacks?

The funniest thing about this is that nowhere in this thread did I even come close to arguing any political opinion. Not a single time. So how exactly did you conclude that I'm a brainwashed liberal? In the simpleton child-like mind of the average neocon, anyone who doesn't blindly follow the fallacious and illogical rhetoric coming out of the right wing echo chamber must be a liberal. Critical thinking at its finest.

By the way, I got rid of cable and satellite a long time ago, I couldn't watch MSNBC if I wanted to.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 02-20-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies