Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I've done year of homework and research...what have you done ..5 minutes on the internet

oh really..you really think costs will be cut ....I call shenanagins

things are expensive

for example the average hospital uses a lot of electricity...about 400,000 a month...thats 5 million dollars in electric costs yearly.....you are not going to cut that piece of overhead

{snip}
...and Obama and his EPA are marching along with their green energy and climate change agendas, causing electricity rates to skyrocket, which, as you point out, is going to increase costs to hospitals, not to mention manufacturing, and impact the wallets of every American.

This is why it's so hard to comprehend what the hell Obama is doing. He says one thing, and his actions result in creating the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many; breast biopsies can be preformed, treatments for childhood leukemia, medications prescribed for MS, etc....can this buy?

Health Insurance CEO Paid $106 Million. Feel Better?

Health Insurance CEO Paid $106 Million. Feel Better? by Newspaper Contributors on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent
Ron Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy got paid more than that one year...I wonder what he does in his retirement now.

Oh well, nevermind. That was all fixed by Obamacares requirement for people to BUY for-profit insurance.

Oh wait.....

Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sorry, profit matters very much. Healthcare is not like buying a car, it shouldn't be for profit - somethings, like medical care should be provided on a not-for-profit basis.
How exactly does that work? Are my doctors, nurses and staff allowed to earn an income? How can I buy new equipment, expand the hospital, if I cannot make a profit and set money aside for those things? Or are you referring a co-op?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Why on earth should schools have to teach special needs kids?

Why on earth should police have to protect serve & protect high crime areas?

Why on earth should the gov't spend money on people that believe the gov't should have the power to spend money on them?

Magic!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So you have no explanation for why insurance companies, in particular, should pay for these pre-existing conditions?
Because it makes financial and moral sense, that's why.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pre-existing conditions can make sense to cover for the same reason that someone with a bad driving history can get subsidized insurance.

At least then they are paying *something* in and managing their health.

The alternative is you will just see them at the emergency room and never be able to collect from them.

This is covered in various non-partisan actuarial literature. I would suggest further reading and less ranting.
People who are active members with a health insurance company should not be kicked to the curb if they suddenly become sick, just because they are between jobs

It's as if people automatically classify a person who is sick, or was sick, as a despicable "leech on society" and an unfair burden on the insurance company and it's members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think most of us would agree that insurance companies should not have to be abused by the leeches in society. What I mean by that, are the people who will purposely go without health care insurance until they get sick, then force the insurance company to pay for their care, only to drop their insurance once they are treated, rinse repeat.

Those would be the people who fit the analogy of the person who goes without paying for insurance, until his house is on fire, or his car is totally demolished, and then runs out to get insurance.

Health insurance is not like car insurance. most every car accident or traffic ticket is due to your own gross negligence. In life, you can follow all the rules, obey the law, take care of yourself, and come down with cancer, or even give birth to a baby with health problems.
I agree, I think people here are dancing around the issue you bring up. Some people are sympathetic to insurance companies not taking preexisting conditions because they assume people are taking advantage of the system by going without insurance, and will only be signing up for insurance when they are sick. We should have laws and regulations to prevent this type of abuse.

There are freeloaders, or "leeches" as you refer to them, people who game the system and steal from all the rest of us. These are the people who take advantage of the trust and generosity of our civil society. They are the ones who grab all the "free samples" in the grocery store, or steal a Playstaion from Walmart, and then use the stores generous merchandise return policy to get a full refund without a purchase receipt. After a while the stores don't offer free samples or generous return policies anymore, because of these the low-life leeches.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
This topic has been played out so many times from the same dull posters over and over again, until it is shown how wrong they are in which they soon hide in the shadows only to create a new thread. To those who state that there should be some sort of safety net for those who need care the most, as though those agencies never existed. Well, they do exist because of the nature of the for profit health insurance. The VA, medicare, medicaid, Indian Health exist because of the void for-profit insurance creates. Also BCBS was originally created as a non-profit but was forced to play the for-profit card with the other rackets---Anti-Trust legislation.

What we have now is a fragmented system that rations our health care more than any modern nation on earth and costs trillions because it is so fragmented.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its your body...your health...your bill....

dont expect me to pay for you...I dont expect anything from anybody
Report back in when someone in your family, or you, gets cancer or some other dreadful condition. Will you be so callous then?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is why you buy insurance when you are healthy enough to pay lower rates. So you have it if you lose the odds game and need it. I don't get why people whine when they didn't take care of themselves. Insurance is cheaper when you're young. That's when you need to buy into it.

I remember my dad working two jobs to make sure we were insured. You do what you have to.

I do think there should be a catastrophic safety net though.
That is not how health insurance works............

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So you have no explanation for why insurance companies, in particular, should pay for these pre-existing conditions?
Lets say that tomorrow, science can sequence everyone's DNA, and determine if you or I have some preexisting genetic defect, that we were totally unaware of previously?

Let's say further, that you switch jobs and your employer's new insurance company demands that new DNA test, and then refuse to cover you because they discover that genetic defect you did not know about, and claim it will manifest itself as you grow older? Suddenly you too have a preexisting condition, and are not insurable, and oh by the way, neither are your children.

People with preexisting conditions are not all a bunch of scammers trying to milk the system by forcing all of us to pay for their schemes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies