Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Here in the U.S., yep. In Cuba, there are black and white Cubans on TV, on radio, in managing posts, etc. In fact (a little known fact), the president of Cuba (a fascist dictator) just prior to the Fidel takeover, was half-black/half-white. Tremendous amount of intermarriage in Cuba. Cuban blacks come from a very different culture. What will happen once they've been here for years, I don't know. Assimilation into the American culture will probably introduce a LOT of American racism into the Cuban black/Cuban white equation. Maybe, and maybe not. I have no idea.
The only difference is that Blacks on Latin tv networks are portrayed by light skinned Hispanics in blackface

How is this being allowed on American TV? (Racism) - YouTube

the new racist right & left wing latin tv show Alexis Valdes - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The only difference is that Blacks on Latin tv networks are portrayed by light skinned Hispanics in blackface

How is this being allowed on American TV? (Racism) - YouTube

the new racist right & left wing latin tv show Alexis Valdes - YouTube
1) Alexis Valdes is half black/half white. Very funny comedian from Cuba who has a very successful program on TV in Miami. He's popular because he's completely irreverant. No one saves himself from his humor on his program. Priests are bashed as pedophiles, older women are all played with their breasts hanging down to their waist, santeros and santeras are all played as black, etc. Utterly irreverant, which is how he became so popular.

2) You didn't show the rest of the program (just the only skit you found in which someone was playing a black person so you threw it in here). His program has Cuban black musicians, Cuban black singers, and Cuban black actors.

3) The skit was about santeria, within which there is a stereotype of the main santeros (high priestesses and priests) as black because the religion began as a black religion. Slowly it spread, and now there are high priestesses and high priests who are white as well.

And so, you're completely wrong because you have no clue but would love to say that you do. When you don't know sh_t about a culture, you measure it (of course) against the only culture you know, American. In the U.S. there is rampant racism against blacks, however there's a severe political correctness on TV, which belies the truth of what's happening out there in American society.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
First of all, I am not talking about my own ethnic group. I am mulatto, not black. Second, on average African immigrants are doing better than black Americans.

I have met many section 8 blacks...I have never seen nor heard of a section 8 Ghanian or Nigerian American.
So then I wonder why the Africans in France are creating havoc on that nation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/05/in...anted=all&_r=0

Immigration: France sees tensions rise five years on from Paris riots | World news | The Guardian

Economic Despair, Racism Drive French Riots : NPR

http://emersonvermaat.com/essay/africa-essay.pdf

Africans Riot in Paris 2010 - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM

So basically your stance is that blackface is perfectly fine in Spanish language TV because none of the Afro-Latinos complain about how OFFENSIVE it actually happens to be.

BTW, you FAILED to acknowledge that you were incorrect about when slavery was actually abolished in Cuba (1886)

Quote:
1) Alexis Valdes is half black/half white. Very funny comedian from Cuba who has a very successful program on TV in Miami. He's popular because he's completely irreverant. No one saves himself from his humor on his program. Priests are bashed as pedophiles, older women are all played with their breasts hanging down to their waist, santeros and santeras are all played as black, etc. Utterly irreverant, which is how he became so popular.

2) You didn't show the rest of the program (just the only skit you found in which someone was playing a black person so you threw it in here). His program has Cuban black musicians, Cuban black singers, and Cuban black actors.

3) The skit was about santeria, within which there is a stereotype of the main santeros (high priestesses and priests) as black because the religion began as a black religion. Slowly it spread, and now there are high priestesses and high priests who are white as well.

And so, you're completely wrong because you have no clue but would love to say that you do. When you don't know sh_t about a culture, you measure it (of course) against the only culture you know, American. In the U.S. there is rampant racism against blacks, however there's a severe political correctness on TV, which belies the truth of what's happening out there in American society.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why is it people who come from Europe to live in the US they seem to do so much better than people in Appalachia? They seem to be more educated, they don't cook meth, get hooked on Oxycontin, or stay on welfare, or get pregnant before high school.
Don't change the subject! We are (always) talking about American blacks and comparing them to (insert minority group)

Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
The ones I know own their own stuff and they don't obsess about Archie bunker

Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Why are stats that protray the negative aspects of Black Americans never mention that they only reflect the poor and uneducated?

I bet that if you compare the black middleclass those numbers are not were near those that you are touting.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
For some reason Calipoppy and other African Americans can't believe folks can form opinions about African Americans on their own based on interactions with African Americans. Evidently in their view it is the invisible hand of White power manipulates these views of African Americans.

Many recent immigrants (irrespective of their so called wealth in their native countries) do not have the money needed to reside in middle or upper income American communities; therefore, they reside in low income inner city areas, and are exposed to and surrounded by many pathologies. They mistakingly believe that all (or even most) black Americans share in that type of abhorrent lifestyle.

Anyhow, it's akin to me believing that all Carib women are lewd, as depicted by the events which unfolded at the NYC West Indian Parade. I'm however smart enough to understand that their behavior is not representative of the entire group.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Cruelly no they don't care about the America dream you obviously know none. They do they're own thing, usually don't follow politics, stupid America culture, don't follow the crowd to move out of mommy house by 18, don't care for none of the sports garbage they keep their mind on schooling or investing in a business and move on.

The ones who follow that path and focus usually do quite well, American culture is idiot culture designed to make people stupid and slow.
Excellent point

I have an Isreali freind that noticed that Americans spend so much time watching sports and entertainment that they are completely ignorant of the important things that are going on around the world. Immigrants don't bother or have the luxury of watching any of that crap.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
If I may say something. Hispanic blacks feel Hispanic because they are, and have no cause to feel any different. They automatically identify with whatever nationality they are first, and their race second. For example, within the Cuban community, blacks are not seen as Afro-Cuban. They're seen as Cubans. I did see the word Afro-Cuban here in the U.S. when I attended Americans performing Latin-African dances found in the santeria religion, and I know there is a study of Afro-Cuban culture in Cuba as well. As to how Cubans see Cuban black people, they're seen as Cubans.

Also, another thing. Cuban blacks don't have a separate dialect from Cuban whites. They sound the same. Here in the U.S. there is a separate dialect often found among American blacks which (to me) often sounds like that of the Texas rednecks. Not trying to insult, but it sounds that way to me. I think what it is, is a Southern dialect which was passed on.

This is not to say there isn't some racism within Hispanic nationalities, but I think it's much less than here. I think part of the reason is that there was a tremendous amount of intermarriage and slavery was abolished in Cuba before it was in the U.S. Once it was abolished, there were no lynchings or anything of the sort - at all.
Yes @ the bold. This is how people function in most of the world. Even when Americans travel, people see Americans. Not that people do recognize physical differences, but culture/nationality reveals more about the individual.

It's true that there is racism in Latin America, like plenty other places in the world. It's just that the dynamics are different, and so it may appear less or more racist to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Surely you jest?

Slavery was not abolished in Cuba until over 20 years after it was abolished in the US. In 1886 to be exact.

And Cuba, as well as all Latin American countries, have a racial hierarchy that is quite pronounced with Afro-Latinos and indigenous populations being on the bottom rungs.
Yes...that means what exactly? That they shouldn't identify with their culture? Change will come about differently in Latin America due to different dynamics in those societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies