Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I think if you are on any type of government assistance you should be ineligible to vote in any kind of election wether it's state or federal. Even that is asking too much. This last election was like a slave master telling the slave how things are going to be when it should be the other way around.
Please define this term.

Does the tax code count?

Seems to me that the only folk who might be voting within your conceptual world would be singles, without any dependent who live at home or rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Government should have never bailed out the banks with tax payers money. If Bush, Obama, and congress wanted to bail them out they should have used their own savings.
If Citi and BoA were allowed to fail it would have an enormous domino effect within the U.S. and across the globe.

Greenspan was the primary mover and shaker behind deregulation and spanned 4 different presidential administrations.

The primary job of any legislator is fund raising and reelection. They are dependent upon the investment of their benfactors to produce an ROI.Legislators who fail to get reelected tend to become lobbyists. And around we go.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Taking money from some to give to others isn't a solution. Taking the same percentage from all to support the genuinely incapacitated IS a solution.
The important thing is the latter, but it's more efficient for the nation as a whole to have some sort of single payer or universal system - just as the other industrialized nations have, at a great savings.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

In Japan there was a big tsunami. Everyone maintained order, despite losing everything. Why are we so different?
Japan threw money at it.

Japan has had single pay universal healthcare for more than 60 years. It pays 70% of costs. Employers are required to enroll all employees in supplimental insurance for the 30% tail. Government insurance is available for self employed and the poor.

Japan's health care system is true non profit and costs are capped by government. In many ways, the Japan model is similar to Medicare.

Most people don't own guns in Japan.

Japan is not a violent culture.

The culture encourages families to take care of their elderly members and they do.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Japan threw money at it.

Japan has had single pay universal healthcare for more than 60 years. It pays 70% of costs. Employers are required to enroll all employees in supplimental insurance for the 30% tail. Government insurance is available for self employed and the poor.

Japan's health care system is true non profit and costs are capped by government. In many ways, the Japan model is similar to Medicare.

Most people don't own guns in Japan.

Japan is not a violent culture.

The culture encourages families to take care of their elderly members and they do.
But its crazy expensive to live there.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

I'm not against people who really need help. I am against Abusers. They make up the majority of recipients....unfortunately. Thanks to corrupt politicians and the bureaucracy the integrity of the system have been destroyed.
Who are the abusers? Individuals? Children? Elderly? Poor? Wealthy? Large corporations?

How do you know the majority abuse?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Just stop all welfare programs"

No. But, I do believe every program needs a head to toe review and NOT from the Agencies that administer them.

Having personal experience with welfare recipients, I can attest to massive waste, fraud and abuse of the systems.
Having personal experience with the general public , I can attest to massive waste, fraud and abuse of any system. Tax and insurance fraud are the most common crimes.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Please define this term.

Does the tax code count?

Seems to me that the only folk who might be voting within your conceptual world would be singles, without any dependent who live at home or rent.
Yes, tax credits where taxes for the bottom half of society can pay not only $0.00 in taxes, but actually get taxes other people paid, transfered, as a cash payment, to them.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
Here! I have a better idea. If you want to stop all the welfare programs, then petition Congress to raise minimum wage. You see Obama wants to raise it up to $9 an hour, but the GOP doesn't want to make CEO's pay their employees more. Personally, I think it should be raised to anywhere from $12 to $15 an hour. In fact, I think there should be a national law requiring employers to pay their entry-level employees at least 1/20 what the CEO makes.

Instead, they want to keep minimum wage law. Then you even have some knuckleheads like Michele Bachmann who want to get rid of minimum wage. All the while, the teahadists and the Repugnantcans want to jack up inflation but keep the minimum wage stagnant. If you don't want to pay people livable wages and hire them full-time, then shut your damn pieholes about them collecting welfare and living on food stamps.
People can be paid $10,000 an hour. That will likely become the cost of a Big Mac Meal.

There is no way that minimum wage can be increased without it impacting the cost of living.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Who are the abusers? Individuals? Children? Elderly? Poor? Wealthy? Large corporations?

How do you know the majority abuse?
The system itself is the abuser, in the main. It is the fraud, in and of itself. A fraud and abuse on everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies