Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What would your definition of WELFARE be? Please list all.
What do you think it is?
Please list ALL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Nice try but Article I, Section 8 gives Congress the power to "lay and collect taxes, duties, imports, and excises." The Constitution allows Congress to tax in order to "provide for the common defense and general welfare of the united states not an individual

Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Does social security count as welfare?
The 1980's called, they want their post back

Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Nice try but Article I, Section 8 gives Congress the power to "lay and collect taxes, duties, imports, and excises." The Constitution allows Congress to tax in order to "provide for the common defense and general welfare of the united states not an individual
Not even a nice try unless you can show just where the use of the collected taxes is limited by anything other than your assumption and explain just how the well being of individuals does not contribute to the 'general welfare' .

Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not even a nice try unless you can show just where the use of the collected taxes is limited by anything other than your assumption and explain just how the well being of individuals does not contribute to the 'general welfare' .
The general welfare phrase does not change the fact that our nation’s government is based on delegated powers, and the Constitution specifically spells out which powers are delegated. The Constitution is clear about the matter: the people of the United States have the right to set their own health care priorities, to pay for what they choose to pay for, to direct the paths of their own lives, and to live with the consequences of the path they take—without interference from the nation’s central government

Last edited by tworent; 07-27-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Welfare handouts isn't contributing to the well being of individuals. It's making them fat and too lazy to work. It's harming them.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Welfare handouts isn't contributing to the well being of individuals. It's making them fat and too lazy to work. It's harming them.
You should try and learn the difference between a system and abuses to a system.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The general welfare phrase does not change the fact that our nation’s government is based on delegated powers, and the Constitution specifically spells out which powers are delegated. The Constitution is clear about the matter: the people of the United States have the right to set their own health care priorities, to pay for what they choose to pay for, to direct the paths of their own lives, and to live with the consequences of the path they take—without interference from the nation’s central government.
You alleged the sole role of the federal government is protection from enemies, foreign and domestic.

I'd say the fact Congress is authorized to establish post offices proves your allegation incorrect. There are many other things that would fall under 'general welfare' that are open to interpretation and are in no way clearly spelled out.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
What do you think it is?
Please list ALL
I asked the OP first and never received an answer, must be fearful of defining it.

I don't think. I know. No, I won't list because there's not enough server space on City-Data.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Having a genuine need has nothing to do with my question. I have no responsibly to help you out in any way other then a moral obligation but thats up to me to give not for you to use your vote to take. You still have no right to take from me because you need it thats called steeling.
Are you assuming she hasn't paid into the system from which she receives? In her younger years she was a professional live-in nanny. One of her previous employers was former US Congressman Chris John of Louisiana. They gave us a lovely wedding gift. Prior to her leaving the work force, she worked at a hospital putting together the surgical carts and sterilizing medical equipment. Part of the reason for her current condition is her first doctor who did two surgeries. She cannot go to him since he's long since passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies