Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,500,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
From my experience (software consultant as well as regular employee at near a dozen IT departments in San Francisco and Minneapolis) that is absolutely false.

Whatever company you are work for is doing it wrong, and not representative of the industry. Plus I bet you have so much red tape and bloat that your IT department is a complete disaster and hell hole of office politics where nothing gets done without 2 weeks of meetings and internal wrangling, to do nothing more than get some over-payed glorified script runner to hit execute. If so, get out and find yourself a real company to devote your career to. A friend of mine is a manager at Microsoft and never attended a day of college in his life.

The top IT departments (cutting edge) hire on recommendation from their employees and don't even read resumes much less care about degrees. No recommendation? Well your degree means exactly dck, your only way in is to prove yourself with work you have done (no, following along with teacher does not cut it as work you have done). I was first hired as a computer programmer without a bachelors, any work experience, or even a formal resume by providing the source code to video games I had created in high school. That is all it takes in IT, ability to do the job, and its easy enough to prove without a degree.
I work in cybersecurity, where thanks to millions of crap programmers out there we will always have an infinite amount of work. Since you've stereotyped my company, allow me to stereotype yours:

You probably work in a shop strewn with Cheetos and redbulls with guys who code all day; if it compiles then they're good to go. You push crap code on your "customers" (actually they're beta testers who pay for the privilege). If a customer has an issue it goes in a queue that you'll get too sometime next year, if ever. Security and Quality Control? Not your problem. Meanwhile you have "Sale Engineers" who promise the world, suckering in new beta testers (oops, customers) and the process repeats.

Also, as a consultant I'm sure you're comfortable with the idea that you're as disposable as used toilet paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,707,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
This article is insane. I can see a receptionist not requiring a college degree, but a paralegal??? Paralegals do heavy legal work. They might not sign the docs, but they do make legal decisions and these are then reviewed by the attorney. What do they want, a high school grad to be handling legal matters??

As for liberals requiring college degrees, you didn't read the article you posted. It has nothing to do with liberals.

Quote:
"When you get 800 resumes for every job ad, you need to weed them out somehow"
You can thank you friends, the corporations, for rendering this country jobless, that there are 800 resumes for each job ad.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM

29,667 posts, read 24,706,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You literally don't know what you're talking about. The largest emphasis in President Obama's higher education program, from the very beginning, has been the community colleges. They provide the education and training that lead directly to employment opportunities in tons of different fields.

Your resentment has overwhelmed any reasoning capacity you might have.
What ever happened to getting a job at 18 and starting at the bottom? Now you gotta go into debt just to start at the bottom, and loose at least 2 working years. Lost income and debt... Wonderful way to start out in the world. And the parents wonder why the kids keep showing up back at their doorsteps...

Thanks libs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You can thank the greedy right wingers for shipping all the honest, good paying jobs to communist China just so they can line their pockets more.
Actually, thank the consumer. And guess which party Walmart gives the bulk of it's contributions to...

Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,372,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This article is insane. I can see a receptionist not requiring a college degree, but a paralegal??? Paralegals do heavy legal work. They might not sign the docs, but they do make legal decisions and these are then reviewed by the attorney. What do they want, a high school grad to be handling legal matters??

As for liberals requiring college degrees, you didn't read the article you posted. It has nothing to do with liberals.

You can thank you friends, the corporations, for rendering this country jobless, that there are 800 resumes for each job ad.
I must add that if you have legal experience and a good head on your shoulders, you can be a paralegal. I am a legal secretary - paralegal hybrid and I don't have a degree. What I do have is 17 sold years of industry experience, i pick things up very quickly, and i deliver the goods under ridiculous deadlines. and that makes a world of difference.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,465,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Where exactly in the article does it mention liberal? Quote, please.

This has nothing to do with liberal policy. It has everything to do with the job market being a buyers market.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,193,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
We get it, you hate education and educators.

I was hoping the GOP tagline would be "stay thirsty my friends" but I think "stay ignorant my friends" is better suited.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,909,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Translation: I didn't go to college and now can't even find a job.
Interesting post given your username. I guess "VTHokieFan" does not mean "VTHokieGraduate"

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,545,611 times
Thanks to conservative free trade politicians, all of the jobs that don't require one were sent to China.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,465,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The article is garbage and isn't common practice because it doesn't work for most companies. First we hear over qualified can't get hired because they'll leave and now this.

What happens to the college person when something opens up in their field? They going to stay with the $10 an hour job? Of course not.
It is pretty common here. They have so few openings that they can get degree's for $10 an hour.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,585,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
For some reason, "experts" claim that higher education (to more people) will lead to a stronger economy, higher income and lower unemployment. As a matter of fact, some "experts" say that the reason our economy is currently in shambles, is because we don't have enough educated people... The current recession however, tells a different story. I guess that if we had 10 million more college graduates we would have millions of additional unemployed.
I remember 20-30 years ago, when globalization was discussed "experts" claimed that job outsourcing is a boon to US economy. Not only we wont lose jobs, but more will be created! How, (I asked)? China and India will invest billions in the American economy.
And the award for outstanding use of scare quotes in a pointless tirade goes to. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies