Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So....your argument is that it can't survive on its own? Neither can 2 year olds, or people on dialysis, iron lungs, insulin shots, etc. Should we be allowed to murder them too if they become a burden?
A two year old can be taken care of by anyone, it does not require one specific person to care for it. People on dialysis, in iron lungs, take insulin, etc can be take care of by numerous different people, not one specific person. Does a dialysis tech have to lose their own rights to provide dialysis? Does a doctor have to give up their own rights to provide care? There is your difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like said earlier some pro-life people opt for abortion when faced with a tough choise like Downs syndrome, but your claim about it being a purely religious thing is just your personal option, and not fact. An atheist could be pro-life, and there are Hindu's, Jews, muslims etc who are pro-life.
Then, if you think it's a secular belief, feel free to google pro-life all over the net. Enjoy.

And yes, "pro-lifers" are highly hypocritical. The entire thing is based not upon any particular love for fetuses, but on the desire to control others, and make them share that particular belief that a clump of cells, like my gallbladder, should have the rights of a viable human being.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
In 39 states if a pregnant woman is killed by a drunk driver, the driver will be charged with some form of homicide for her and her pre born baby. Explain this.
Those laws require the fetus to be of a certain gestation. Viability. I am fine with no abortion post viability unless there is medical need.
No one is charged with murder for the death of a 2 month old fetus.

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I don't think liberals understand what drives pro-lifers in the abortion debate. To somebody who is pro-life, killing a baby in the womb is the same thing as killing a toddler. The debate comes down to when a baby is developed enough to be considered human. Question is who are we to decide that. Our forefathers judged very poorly when they decided black people were subhuman. No one will deny Hitler's misstep when he decided Jews were not human. You say this is different, but how is it? I can understand a clump of cells not being human, but what about late-term abortions? The fetus is a developed, living being and supporting its murder for the sake of financial convenience makes you no better than the slave owners or Nazis.

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Then, if you think it's a secular belief, feel free to google pro-life all over the net. Enjoy.
Thanks, I enjoyed it very much. I found that there are indeed Hindu's, Jews, muslims etc who are pro-life. Why wouldn't there be?

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
two questions: 1.What was your username before you changed it?
2. Have you ever been to counseling? Seriously?
This is my only name. You must be under the impression that everyone is "pro-life." As for counseling, it's the "pro-life" religious bible-bangers that require the therapy. Promoting that a clump of cells like an appendix is equivalent to a living, breathing being, is mental illness. Even moreso, pushing to force others to abide by your personal religious beliefs, which you desire to inflict on the entire nation.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
This has already been explained.

The law was initiated by a state representative who belonged to the "pro-life" movement. It had the backing of "pro-life" lobbyists. It was pushed by "pro-life" groups. It was encouraged by "pro-life" cocaine addict, GW Bush. It is a highly controversial law, promoted by "pro-life" religious groups in an attempt to chip away at abortion rights.

I hope it's clear. If not, I'll re-explain more simply.
Who was the Representative that did this?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't think liberals understand what drives pro-lifers in the abortion debate. To somebody who is pro-life, killing a baby in the womb is the same thing as killing a toddler. The debate comes down to when a baby is developed enough to be considered human. Question is who are we to decide that. Our forefathers judged very poorly when they decided black people were subhuman. No one will deny Hitler's misstep when he decided Jews were not human. You say this is different, but how is it? I can understand a clump of cells not being human, but what about late-term abortions? The fetus is a developed, living being and supporting its murder for the sake of financial convenience makes you no better than the slave owners or Nazis.
Less than 1% of abortions are late term, and every state has laws regarding late term abortion, most only allow it in the case of medical necessity.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
I know of a leader of a "pro-life" movement at a church, who talked the talk, even violently, and when she got pregnant at middle age, and was told that it would be born eyeless, she quickly ran to the local abortion clinic that she had tried to shut down, and had the fetus aborted. It became a huge scandal (they tried to keep the thing quiet, of course). The church she belonged to, where the "pro-life" movement she headed was based, eventually shut down. Again, quietly. This was located in Boca Raton, Florida. "Pro-lifers" are religious people who don't really care about life, don't care about the fetus, but DO care about controlling others and forcing them to do what wacko things their religion says.
The above is one reason why I'm pro choice, so women who are vehemently anti abortion can change their minds once they become pregnant and have the freedom to go to a safe and legal place to get an abortion.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:

And yes, "pro-lifers" are highly hypocritical. The entire thing is based not upon any particular love for fetuses, but on the desire to control others, and make them share that particular belief that a clump of cells, like my gallbladder, should have the rights of a viable human being.
Your views are unfounded. Google doesn't prove anything. Yes many religious conservatives are pro-life. But your association is as flawed as comparing rectangles and squares.

It is perfectly legitimate, on a scientific basis, to argue that a fetus is a human organism. It certainly isn't a frog. It has DNA, unique to itself. I happen to believe it is not part of the woman's body. It is another organism, human, living inside the mother. And it deserves protection in the name of humanity. Not a God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies