Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I bet you your state's infrastructure is crumbling too.
You missed the entire point.

LOCAL infrastructure is the responsibility of the LOCAL gov't where ever it is.

If ( and I have no doubt it is true) my state, county or city didn't take care of it's OWN infrastructure I do NOT expect you, if you don't live here, to pay for it.

I was addressing Jo who wants me and YOU to pay for her politicians malfeasance in taking care of their own house.

At some point in time, not too long from now I expect, Americans are going to learn that the fed gov't is NOT going to fix ALL their local problems.

It is the same game dems play all the time. Look at today, Obama brings out a lot of LOCAL police officers to say the sequester will put them out of work. How?, I ask. LOCAL cops are paid for by local taxes. NOT FED DOLLARS. Same with teachers. Do you know any fed teachers in your local schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You missed the entire point.

LOCAL infrastructure is the responsibility of the LOCAL gov't where ever it is.

If ( and I have no doubt it is true) my state, county or city didn't take care of it's OWN infrastructure I do NOT expect you, if you don't live here, to pay for it.

I was addressing Jo who wants me and YOU to pay for her politicians malfeasance in taking care of their own house.

At some point in time, not too long from now I expect, Americans are going to learn that the fed gov't is NOT going to fix ALL their local problems.

It is the same game dems play all the time. Look at today, Obama brings out a lot of LOCAL police officers to say the sequester will put them out of work. How?, I ask. LOCAL cops are paid for by local taxes. NOT FED DOLLARS. Same with teachers. Do you know any fed teachers in your local schools?
Even if the cops and teachers were being paid through money that sequestration affects, it still wouldn't be a legitimate argument. If a particular department gets cut, that doesn't mean a specific function or employee of that department will get cut.

Obama has a history of doing this. Whenever a change or cut is proposed that he doesn't like to a general area, he immediately goes to its most critical function and holds forth on the dire consequences of losing it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Our roads, bridges, water pipes, etc.....are outdated, neglected, and failing. We need to pay for the update and repair or we will pay more later!

http://www.asce.org/Content.aspx?id=25562

So much for the shining city on the hill. The lights are going out and the roads to the hill are eroding yet the GOP wants to give tax breaks to the wealthy instead of repairing our great nation.
So if states are lacking the funds to fix their roads, what is the remedy, increased federal taxation?

Obviously the reason a state may not have enough tax revenue, is because the federal government is not taking enough state tax revenue away from the states.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Obama has a list of shovel ready projects it just take time to fulfill promises.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Even if the cops and teachers were being paid through money that sequestration affects, it still wouldn't be a legitimate argument. If a particular department gets cut, that doesn't mean a specific function or employee of that department will get cut.

Obama has a history of doing this. Whenever a change or cut is proposed that he doesn't like to a general area, he immediately goes to its most critical function and holds forth on the dire consequences of losing it.
Claiming teachers will lose their jobs, is all a part of Obama's rhetoric.

Obama's administration decides where the cuts will be, and if he decides that he wants to cut federal education funding to the states, then that is his choice. However, it's still up to the states to determine where they want to make adjustments due to reduced federal education funding.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 AM

98 posts, read 54,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
we spend more than 1.3 trillion on social services....and about 300 billion on foreign aid....in other words nearly half the budget
1.3 trillion on social services or welfare phones, because you clearly said "welfare phones and foreign aid." Furthermore, does $1.3 trillion include SS and medicare?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM

98 posts, read 54,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So if states are lacking the funds to fix their roads, what is the remedy, increased federal taxation?

Obviously the reason a state may not have enough tax revenue, is because the federal government is not taking enough state tax revenue away from the states.
Or because many states's revenue comes from sale taxes.... which take a hit during a downturn....

The Great State of Texas wasn't immune from this either as we had to take federal stimulus funds and use our "rainy day fund" to plug in the holes in the budgets so we wouldn't have had mass state-level govt jobs eliminated.

Also the Great State of Texas Dept of Transportation is broke at a time when our population is exploding.... So it will be interesting to see how this state's conservative's legislature address our exploding population that will need more roads, parks, schools, trains, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyboomboom View Post
Or because many states's revenue comes from sale taxes.... which take a hit during a downturn....

The Great State of Texas wasn't immune from this either as we had to take federal stimulus funds and use our "rainy day fund" to plug in the holes in the budgets so we wouldn't have had mass state-level govt jobs eliminated.

Also the Great State of Texas Dept of Transportation is broke at a time when our population is exploding.... So it will be interesting to see how this state's conservative's legislature address our exploding population that will need more roads, parks, schools, trains, etc.
It should be done it has been done for years. You do it when you can afford it. Issue bonds to raise money if you don't have the cash now.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have to assume that you are pretty young and not experienced much. And what are you suggesting here? That we raise taxes so that we can make sure that the Super Bowl can present the most extravagant shows ever and nothing ever goes wrong?

Do you not realize how foolish you look by complaining that a football game had a problem with their lights?

Are you really this out of touch concerning real problems?

Looks like my post went over your head, I listed the incident at the Super Bowl as just another example.

I could care less about the Super Bowl halftime show or the game itself.

My point was(which seemed to be lost on you) is that you never used to see in this country roads falling apart, power going out for days on end after a snowstorm, etc.

This is due to years of neglect of an aging infrastructure.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
What's going to happen is that there will be a major disaster, a bridge crumbling during rush hour or something like that. And then something will be done. It's the American way---wait for a crisis before taking action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies