Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,608,228 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been watching the nightly news the last two days. It talked of thousands of hacker attacks against our power grid, infrastructure, and intellectual theft from major us companies.

The part if found apaulling is that in depth research found it was actually a section of the Chinese military, fully rnded by Tue Chinese government. I almost consider this an act of war. Almost even suggest cruise missile attacked. Or at least some diplomacy and demand answers from China.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,772,678 times
Yes they are, this is how they wage war with us. What is the President doing about it? Wait for it....nothing.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
The Chinese are interested in doing business. So I guess they see this as way to gain the upper hand in the world economy.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
The MSM swaying machine is in full gear.
Don't know why though..the Chinese have been doing this for years.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes they are, this is how they wage war with us. What is the President doing about it? Wait for it....nothing.
What do you suggest he do? I'm curious.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM

651 posts, read 702,289 times
If I were president and it could be proven that they did it, I would say OK you have just had your investments down graded 30 percent. We just took off what we owe you. So start policeing your people better or we will down grade again.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,753,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
the Chinese have been doing this for years.
As has the US, except China is much better at it and better equipped. Something our government isn't.

A private company, Mandiant, found that 141 companies/government websites have been hacked. Apparently China has built a fighter jet which is almost an exact duplicate of a US fighter jet (I believe the F-15, which China also calls their fighter jet). Mandiant sent a report to the WH one week prior to Obama signing the EO regarding cyber warefare.

Quote:
American officials say that a combination of diplomatic concerns and the desire to follow the unit’s activities have kept the government from going public. But Mandiant’s report is forcing the issue into public view.

Mandiant has watched the group as it has stolen technology blueprints, manufacturing processes, clinical trial results, pricing documents, negotiation strategies and other proprietary information from more than 100 of its clients, mostly in the United States. Mandiant identified attacks on 20 industries, from military contractors to chemical plants, mining companies and satellite and telecommunications corporations.

What most worries American investigators is that the latest set of attacks believed coming from Unit 61398 focus not just on stealing information, but obtaining the ability to manipulate American critical infrastructure: the power grids and other utilities.
Pretty lengthy article, but full of information.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/te...anted=all&_r=0

Here's another interesting article.

China hacking claims: tech firms move to front line in US cyberwar | World news | guardian.co.uk

Remember this thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...zones-all.html

What can Obama do, tell them to stop it? We borrow from China, give some of that money back to them, we owe China billions of dollars, and there are 100s of American corporations doing business over there. He certainly isn't going to tell big business to pull out of China.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,192,548 times
Sounds like a job opportunity for the IT sector.

Protect the United States against the Chinaman!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,387,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Sounds like a job opportunity for the IT sector.

Protect the United States against the Chinaman!
It's called Information Assurance/Security. It is what I do. American companies haven't invested in it (because it's not cheap and it is a pain in the *****), but they are regretting it now.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,456,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Has anyone been watching the nightly news the last two days. It talked of thousands of hacker attacks against our power grid, infrastructure, and intellectual theft from major us companies.

The part if found apaulling is that in depth research found it was actually a section of the Chinese military, fully rnded by Tue Chinese government. I almost consider this an act of war. Almost even suggest cruise missile attacked. Or at least some diplomacy and demand answers from China.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Feigning surprise ... is, in itself ... a surprise. Foreign governments have been doing this for a long time, and before that they sent spies or paid informers to steal defense and business secrets. We do the same thing ... the U.S. Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies