Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What is a typical stereotype of a blond woman from Texas?
Not a bad stereotype if you ask me

Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Abigail Klein - Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader - Part 3 - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Mr. Obama is not well-spoken, he stutters, stammers, and pauses at inappropriate times. Mr. Obama is, however, articulate with an excellent vocabulary. He also enunciates well. There is a difference.
Generally if I think about President Obama speaking, the first word that pops into my mind is "uh", which he says all the time.

The rest of his words sound really good, but I tend to tune them out and not remember them becuase the content is just so much liberal nonsense.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Stereotyping is exactly what it is, not racism.
Stereotype: a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group:

Words are contextual so the context of the stereotype determines whether it is bengin or malignant, not your non-contextual declaration.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"well spoken" a racial slur........forget context, source and intent just add to a list of magic words

Oh my goodness gratious!

Realize there is no hope for some people.
I guess that the ultimate "racial slur" would be to say "Look at that well spoken person playing golf wearing the Chicago Bears jersey."

Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's a free country so you can be annoyed or offended by it if you want to but no it isn't offensive in and of itself. It's just your personal reaction to it. Ebonics does exist and it isn't proper American English. That's just plain fact.

Same as me being from the South. I can be offended by the condescension shown towards people from my region if I want to, but it isn't just plain offensive. Rednecks do exist and I encounter them pretty much every time I leave the house.

It's my right to be offended, but it isn't my right to try to suppress something which is true merely because I find it to be offensive. Truth doesn't have a value judgment attached to it. People who speak ebonics are not speaking proper English. That's just the way it is. Being offended at stereotypes is a personal choice you're free to make. But you're not free to declare it offensive for society at large just because you don't like it. I'd prefer it if every time you see a Southern character on TV or in a movie they didn't feel it necessary to have the person say "Y'all" but I'm not going to go writing letters of protest over it or anything. The fact is people around here do in fact say "y'all". The stereotype is true.
Good post. More people should listen to these words.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Chris Rock joked about this

Chris Rock - Colin Powell black president - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Stereotyping is exactly what it is, not racism. We all experience stereotyping once in a while. I'm blonde and from Texas, you can bet there is a lot of stereotyping about those things. It doesn't bother me though. Why should I care what strangers think of me? Anyone who knows me knows I'm not like the stereotype.

There are always exceptions. This isn't racism, and It's barely stereotyping. The fact that there was a big push to add ebonics to school curriculums sort of suggests it's beyond a simple stereotype.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
For the record, I hate Ebonics. I think that it can negatively affect some black people's ability to get a job.

Me too, and it's even worse when someone who has been raised to speak properly of (any race) starts using it to 'fit in" with the crowd

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I cannot adddress only the black issue of this.

I do know much older people, set in their ways i guess. And i hear them talking about someone in general say, oh she is so well spoken, or he is such a well soft spoken man. Or he was so articulate etc.

But not addressing the issue of only black people, anyone in particular they are talking about.

On the other hand i rarely hear people say that a black person is so well spoken, most back people i know, are well spoken and damn smart to boot.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Generally if I think about President Obama speaking, the first word that pops into my mind is "uh", which he says all the time.

The rest of his words sound really good, but I tend to tune them out and not remember them becuase the content is just so much liberal nonsense.
That's where we differ. I believe that you must "know thine enemy". If I said "I have no idea what Romney said in the debate because I didn't listen".. how can I expect to have credibility when I call him names? Furthermore... I've never been the sort to hate a person for intrinsics. Admit it, you wouldn't vote for Obama even if he was Republican.... the fact that he is a black man is all you need to know... that's pathetic and it has cost you more than you know.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies