Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
A lot of blacks I run across don't speak very well...some are almost unintelligble to me. Basically an extreme form of the black dialect...others speak in the dialect but much more understanable English (black dialect being a version of the Southern dialect)....but Obama sounds more or less white, or like a more educated black person, akin to Alan Keyes, Condi Rice, Colin Powell, etc.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
It's offensive to say white people said it while ignoring the non whites who did. People didn't say it about Bush because he wasn't so what's your point?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Well could it serve white people better to take a cue from our Senate Majority Leader and compliment his lack of "negro dialect" instead?
Good ole racist dems.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
A lot of blacks I run across don't speak very well...some are almost unintelligble to me. Basically an extreme form of the black dialect...others speak in the dialect but much more understanable English....
the same can be said of people from the Bayou, people from the Ozarks, people from Boston, and people from New Jersey, along with a lot of other people. For the record, I hate Ebonics. I think that it can negatively affect some black people's ability to get a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Obama sounds more or less white, or like a more educated black person, akin to Alan Keyes, Condi Rice, Colin Powell, etc.
All those people speak like educated people, there was no reason to add race into the descriptors. This is exactly the original poster's point.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Well could it serve white people better to take a cue from our Senate Majority Leader and compliment his lack of "negro dialect" instead?
Actually, he slips into that dialect quite easily when he is addressing a group of black people. And also, at times when he is "lecturing" the American people (which he does often), it will come out.

The truth is, he is really not that good of a speaker. He says "uhhh" far too often, mispronounces words (corpse instead of corps), and his cadence can be very annoying (it is the typical black street gang cadence). But, what else would we expect from a black Chicago thug? He never should have been President. He doesn't have the intellegence to be President, nor the experience he should have (knows nothing about economics or buisness, and his understanding of our Constitution is wrong).

Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
LOL...whites have a nerve. Honestly, I find that hilarious since white and black americans tend to speak very similar to me, especially in the South. You need subtitles to understand some of these people here.

Growing up, my parents would not tolerate us speaking like the stereotypical white or black american. My parents disliked the "oh mi gosh, becky" type of speech as well as "yeee-uuh, giiiirl, you ain right." Both were equally terrible.

Let's not even touch on the way many Southerners speak. Both groups need to be able to come in and out of their dialects. I am quite familiar with dialect of my parents, but I can speak very clear standard English, with a bit of the "Queen's English" thrown in.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Nothing wrong in speaking proper. MY speech ain't that good but; I try to NOT cut someone else down for sounding educated. Sheesh!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
LOL...whites have a nerve. Honestly, I find that hilarious since white and black americans tend to speak very similar to me, especially in the South
Yes, sure, Black dialect is a version of the southern dialect. I do notice that there is a bit of a generational difference though, btw blacks. Younger blacks seem to be less intelligable for some reason.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM

651 posts, read 705,086 times
It means they don't say " let me ax you a question" "Dat's a cool car, yo!"
"Yo, I have to pay for dat??"

"Dese cops are still on our tails, yo!"
"Dose people told da police dat we stole dare money!"
"Dems are da people dat turnd us in."

Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
All those people speak like educated people, there was no reason to add race into the descriptors. This is exactly the original poster's point.
True...since we expect the average black person to speak with the black dialect or some version therof. That Obama doesn't makes him well-spoken. I dont see what the big deal is about this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies