Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times

Advertisements

Here in Ontario we are closing down ALL of those dirty freakin coal burning monstrosities. They are the worst of the worst of the worst. Hey it's easy for us to do it, the government owns them all LOL. If I'm not mistaken one of them, the Nanicoke GS is the biggest coal burning GS in the world. GOOD RIDDENCE to bad rubbish.

You know a huge % of the pollution produced by that station fouls and poisons the air in NY and Pa. I guess we really shouldn't give a crap seeing as how so many Americans don't.

You hear all of the hysteria about the pollution from the oil sands???? It's like a drop in the bucket compared to coal burners.
I will be very happy the day the USA closes down the last of these dinosaurs. It's not easy to do in the USA though because you all know who rules the roost in that country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The new process looks promising, but we don't know yet what the energy returned will be from the energy put into it. It's new. It might pan out, but then again it might not. At any rate, there are other alternative energy sources such as biofuels that are also being developed, and it looks like we'll have a good amount of natural gas coming to tide us over to these other technologies.

By the way, the heavy-handed sarcasm of the OP was over the top, and made him look stupider than he is.
But is a doctor?
O K, they've already proven they can squeak 50 MPG out of a car, some people in rural areas heat and cool with solar and wind power. The real problems are how do they heat, cool and light millions of homes and businesses, and how do they get 68,000 pounds of groceries to stores and warehouses without diesel powered trucks.

Climatology is something scientists really don't understand fully. Many scientists who study earth have said the earth was once a very violent place when dinosaurs ruled it. If that's the case, and if climate changes occur every 15 to 25 thousand years, who's to say the earth isn't going back to those? There are so many unknowns, is what I alluding to here.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
The new process looks promising, but we don't know yet what the energy returned will be from the energy put into it.
The literature I've read on this indicates that this process is 10.5% less efficient than the current process of burning coal for power generation. In terms of the actual chemical process, it's almost the identical efficiency (0.3% less efficient) - the majority of the efficiency lost comes from compressing the captured carbon dioxide.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM

918 posts, read 816,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The literature I've read on this indicates that this process is 10.5% less efficient than the current process of burning coal for power generation. In terms of the actual chemical process, it's almost the identical efficiency (0.3% less efficient) - the majority of the efficiency lost comes from compressing the captured carbon dioxide.
Many new sources are. Ethanol is less efficient than straight gasoline, but it's in use and widely accepted.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Alcohol is also known to be very corrosive, especially on metal machinery... A reason nobody uses a higher concentration of ethanol.... Some don't use any....

Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Many new sources are. Ethanol is less efficient than straight gasoline, but it's in use and widely accepted.
I wouldn't expect this process to be as efficient. The trade off is it essentially eliminates air pollutants from the process and all of the generated CO2 is captured.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
The new process looks promising, but we don't know yet what the energy returned will be from the energy put into it. It's new. It might pan out, but then again it might not. At any rate, there are other alternative energy sources such as biofuels that are also being developed, and it looks like we'll have a good amount of natural gas coming to tide us over to these other technologies.

By the way, the heavy-handed sarcasm of the OP was over the top, and made him look stupider than he is.
I agree, It may be cost prohibitive to "cook" coal for energy. Around here were pumping out as much natural gas as possible. Our two new electric generation plants will now primarily run NG with coal as a back up. Here in my home, I use NG to cook and Heat water and Heat my home...not coal.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
, I use NG to cook and Heat water and Heat my home...not coal.
Don't use it to cook but certainly use it for heat and hot water. About $1800 a year for 1800 sq. ft of garage space (60 degrees), 2000 sq fr. of house and another 1800 in the basement (65 degrees).

Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM

918 posts, read 816,546 times

POINT - The issue is not who started a program to have the government encourage the development of new energy technologies, which YOU (THANKS A BUNCH) have verified by that link source you posted. All your link proves is that Bush and his Congress started the progam in law in 2005.
IF the government has the money that is a worthy enterprise to start awarding grants for to help inspire "private" investment in "risk-assumption" in furthering "new" and "cleaner" energy sources and 'bringing them' to the "private" marketplace.
IF the government does not have the money That would be a totally irresponsible thing to do.

David Plouffe is one of Obozo's closest personal advisors and a barely functional, political moron to boot and it's about time he's acknowledged that such a WORTHWHILE program was started by Little Georgie-boy Bush. You see NJM, if you'd read your own link more closely, you'd have seen that all that Davey Poop was able to do was confirm Bush started the program back in 2005 as I already acknowledged here. Jeesh! I'll even confirm that Bush accepted the first Solyndra application that was later withdrawn[1]. See how nice a guy I'm bein' with you. OO FAH!!

POINT - ...but it was your Great Leader who started handing out all the "deficit-spending" do-re-mi fiat money to Solyndra and he made no bones about it, proudly exclaiming what he'd done with "a $528 million loan guarantee from the Department of Energy in September 2009, and then fell into bankruptcy just two years later.[1] Under the category of "Read it and Weep" open this link up> 204-page report .
Oi vey! I realize that you may be reading-challenged, but there are much in the way of financial shenanigans involving SOLYNDRA and guess what? Bush is nowhere to be seen!
"Solyndra submitted its application in stages over the summer of 2008. It sought a $535 million guaranteed loan from the Federal Financing Bank (an arm of the U.S. Treasury), while committing to raise $198 million in equity (27% of the projected costs) on its own."[1] The process continued until September 2008 at which time the Bush administration, for the second time postponed approval. Something didn't appear right. Oh sh*t..no jive man!!! In January 2009, sadly...President Barack Hussein Obozo assumed office, and Stephen Chu replaced Samuel Bodman as Energy Secretary. Not a good thing.
"On February 17, Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, popularly referred to as "the stimulus package." The legislation, responding to the financial crisis, included a provision that, in light of the tight credit conditions, would goose the loan guarantee program by lifting from the borrower the obligation to pay a fee known as a "credit subsidy cost"—something like a homeowner's "points" on a mortgage. In Solyndra's case, the change would save it $32-75 million.
In March Solyndra received "conditional approval" of its loan."[1]
"Vice President Joe Biden and Energy Secretary Chu presided at the groundbreaking of Solyndra's Fab 2 facility in Fremont, California, in a photo opp that they would come to rue. In his remarks, Biden laid the credit for the loan guarantee and construction launch squarely on the Obama Administration's 200-day-old Recovery Act legislation, downplaying the role of the 2005 legislation and the nearly two-and-a-half-year process that had actually led up to this moment. Thus, Biden unwittingly inflated a political football that would soon grow to the size of a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float."[1] Ya gotta love ole Joe 'LOOSE LIPS SINK OBOZO SHIPS' Biden huh!

Out of sheer mercy I'll stop here and won't go on to authenticating all the stimulus money Obozo and Co. pissed away on the American public, so cut your losses now and take a hike and consider it a favor.
Go 'way sonny, ya annoy me...

[1] Seven things you should know about Solyndra - Jun. 6, 2012

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-22-2013 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: personal

Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post

POINT - The issue is not who started a program to have the government encourage the development of new energy technologies, which YOU (THANKS A BUNCH) have verified by that link source you posted. All your link proves is that Bush and his Congress started the progam in law in 2005.
IF the government has the money that is a worthy enterprise to start awarding grants for to help inspire "private" investment in "risk-assumption" in furthering "new" and "cleaner" energy sources and 'bringing them' to the "private" marketplace.
IF the government does not have the money That would be a totally irresponsible thing to do.

David Plouffe is one of Obozo's closest personal advisors and a barely functional, political moron to boot and it's about time he's acknowledged that such a WORTHWHILE program was started by Little Georgie-boy Bush. You see NJM, if you'd read your own link more closely, you'd have seen that all that Davey Poop was able to do was confirm Bush started the program back in 2005 as I already acknowledged here. Jeesh! I'll even confirm that Bush accepted the first Solyndra application that was later withdrawn[1]. See how nice a guy I'm bein' with you. OO FAH!!

POINT - ...but it was your Great Leader who started handing out all the "deficit-spending" do-re-mi fiat money to Solyndra and he made no bones about it, proudly exclaiming what he'd done with "a $528 million loan guarantee from the Department of Energy in September 2009, and then fell into bankruptcy just two years later.[1] Under the category of "Read it and Weep" open this link up> 204-page report .
Oi vey! I realize that you may be reading-challenged, but there are much in the way of financial shenanigans involving SOLYNDRA and guess what? Bush is nowhere to be seen!
"Solyndra submitted its application in stages over the summer of 2008. It sought a $535 million guaranteed loan from the Federal Financing Bank (an arm of the U.S. Treasury), while committing to raise $198 million in equity (27% of the projected costs) on its own."[1] The process continued until September 2008 at which time the Bush administration, for the second time postponed approval. Something didn't appear right. Oh sh*t..no jive man!!! In January 2009, sadly...President Barack Hussein Obozo assumed office, and Stephen Chu replaced Samuel Bodman as Energy Secretary. Not a good thing.
"On February 17, Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, popularly referred to as "the stimulus package." The legislation, responding to the financial crisis, included a provision that, in light of the tight credit conditions, would goose the loan guarantee program by lifting from the borrower the obligation to pay a fee known as a "credit subsidy cost"—something like a homeowner's "points" on a mortgage. In Solyndra's case, the change would save it $32-75 million.
In March Solyndra received "conditional approval" of its loan."[1]
"Vice President Joe Biden and Energy Secretary Chu presided at the groundbreaking of Solyndra's Fab 2 facility in Fremont, California, in a photo opp that they would come to rue. In his remarks, Biden laid the credit for the loan guarantee and construction launch squarely on the Obama Administration's 200-day-old Recovery Act legislation, downplaying the role of the 2005 legislation and the nearly two-and-a-half-year process that had actually led up to this moment. Thus, Biden unwittingly inflated a political football that would soon grow to the size of a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float."[1] Ya gotta love ole Joe 'LOOSE LIPS SINK OBOZO SHIPS' Biden huh!

Out of sheer mercy I'll stop here and won't go on to authenticating all the stimulus money Obozo and Co. pissed away on the American public, so cut your losses now and take a hike and consider it a favor.
Go 'way sonny, ya annoy me...

[1] Seven things you should know about Solyndra - Jun. 6, 2012
Gotta love Bush for another failed policy:
Quote:
That didn't keep Bush from touting the loan guarantee program on his way out of office. On Jan. 6, 2009, in remarks on conservation and the environment from the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, he said, "We dedicated more than $18 billion to developing clean and efficient technologies like biofuels, advanced batteries and hydrogen fuel cells, solar and wind power, and clean, safe nuclear power. We're providing more than $40 billion in loan guarantees to put these technologies to use."

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-22-2013 at 03:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies