Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rhino View Post
So, the first drop of **** in the ocean was worth that much bloodshed? Now, a second drop of **** will do what exactly?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. My point remains. Krugman predicted that something had to happen to create a specific result. It happened, and it did... so what are we talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Realtors are the ones that want another bubble, not sure if they are progs.

I keep hearing realtors claim that the market is soaring and you better get in before prices go too high.
last time realtors lost a fortune and thousands were forced out of their jobs.

I'm sure they want to go thru that again. lolololol.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times
Quote:
http://mises.org/daily/6372/Krugmans...Housing-Bubble

Let the Liberal doublespeak begin in 3.........2.........

That quote is from an article from 2002, more than a decade ago.

Why don't you read the whole article, as opposed to selective editing and taking things out of context? Krugman was paraphrasing the words of Paul McCulley of Pimco, and was absolutely not calling for a housing bubble, he was expressing pessimism at the actions of Alan Greenspan and the Federal Reserve.

Full article:

Dubya's Double Dip? - NYTimes.com

Here's an article he wrote about the housing bubble in 2005:

Running Out of Bubbles - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Running Out of Bubbles
Quote:

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: May 27, 2005

Remember the stock market bubble? With everything that's happened since 2000, it feels like ancient history. But a few pessimists, notably Stephen Roach of Morgan Stanley, argue that we have not yet paid the price for our past excesses.
I've never fully accepted that view. But looking at the housing market, I'm starting to reconsider.

[MOD CUT/copyright]
Moving the goal posts and ad hominem attacks in 3, 2, 1...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-24-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That quote is from an article from 2002, more than a decade ago.
No, NO, HEAVENS NO!!!

Only Peter Schiff and the Austrians were capable of seeing fall of home prices and the subsequent failure of the economy!

I know because the Austrians have told me so!

Peter Schiff, guy who predicted housing bubble, says we’re really f’d - AMERICAblog

Predictions from the man who forecast the meltdown - Jan. 23, 2009

Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
They aren't "freaking out" they are just waiting until the buck stops... policy can only draw out the inevitable for so long. One of two things are going to happen....

1 - the bust will happen and it will be worse than ever expected...

or

2 - you will wake up one day in welfare state
Sorry, the predictions they were making in 2008 and 2009 weren't 'someday this will happen.' They were predicting short-term, and they were 100% wrong.

Two years ago, Simpson and Bowles were predicting a crisis two years from then. That's now.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No, NO, HEAVENS NO!!!

Only Peter Schiff and the Austrians were capable of seeing fall of home prices and the subsequent failure of the economy!

I know because the Austrians have told me so!

Peter Schiff, guy who predicted housing bubble, says we’re really f’d - AMERICAblog

Predictions from the man who forecast the meltdown - Jan. 23, 2009
and of course, they were wrong:
Quote:
A response, he likes to point out, that he also predicted. "I'm as negative as I've ever been," he says, "because everything the government is doing now is going to make the situation much, much worse. They're trying to reflate this bubble. All along I knew that what would potentially be fatal wasn't the recession itself but the government's response. But what they've already done exceeds even my worst-case imagination."
while Krugman said this in 2005:

Quote:
Housing prices move much more slowly than stock prices. There are no Black Mondays, when prices fall 23 percent in a day. In fact, prices often keep rising for a while even after a housing boom goes bust.

So the news that the U.S. housing bubble is over won't come in the form of plunging prices; it will come in the form of falling sales and rising inventory, as sellers try to get prices that buyers are no longer willing to pay. And the process may already have started.

Of course, some people still deny that there's a housing bubble. Let me explain how we know that they're wrong.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Courtesy of Obama & Holder, Krugman is getting his wish; those two are still pushing subprime loans as IBD reported last year, just like Bubba & Barney did 15 years ago, and we all saw how that went, didn't we?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Realtors are the ones that want another bubble, not sure if they are progs.

I keep hearing realtors claim that the market is soaring and you better get in before prices go too high.
Well I think it's true that there are bargains to be had in real estate these days. The reactionary reduction in mortgage approvals will ease up over time and prices will rise again. I don't think there's any doubt that there was an overcorrection in reaction to the housing crash.

The interest rate on the house I bought when I moved last year was half the rate I had on my previous house. Definitely a good time to get a mortgage.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM

69 posts, read 59,177 times
Krugman is too stubborn to acknowledge that the policies he supports and advocates are the very reason the recession happened in the first place. Central Bank policies were more influential than "greedy" investors or CRA or other government housing policy or even deregulation. Fed policy of essentially free money is your key. Krugman and Bernanke both support artificially suppressd interest rates (theoretically to increase consumption which is already too high) and Bernanke supports inverting the yield curve which basically told banks to take more risk.....otherwise you're buying high and selling low....not a solid business practice. Greenspan wanted the interest rates held low to counteract the effects of the dot com bubble popping. Little did he know, holding interest rates lower than what the market would have set them at encourages malinvestment in capital assets like houses. All the cheap money (and no sign it would end) encouraged tons and tons of malinvestment. The other things like housing policy and CDO's just amplified it. The bad thing about that is...the real economy wasn't expanding at all...their aren't enough resources in the economy to support that quanitity of malinvestment. The recession was a collective "Oh sh*t."

I doubt Krugman "wants" another bubble...but the policies he advocates will produce one.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
..."Those who look up to him as an economic sage should realize that the neo-Keynesian principles that led him to advocate aggressive interest-rate cuts and mammoth public spending now, are the very same principles that led him to advocate inducing a housing bubble then."...
That would be the long and short of it.

Krugman is too stupid to understand the concept of Interest Inflation.

The Laws of Economics set interest rates (via Supply & Demand of Credit), not Krugman, not the Federal Reserve, not Congress, not unions nor anyone else.

Artificially low interest rates for student loans are one reason the price of university tuition keeps rising well beyond the pace of Real Inflation or Natural Inflation.

Artificially low interest rates for housing is the reason why housing prices sky-rocketed...that and government interference in the housing market via government-backed mortgages.

Fixing housing is real simple: The government should get totally out of the housing business.

So, uh, who will guarantee/back the mortgages?

The Free Market will do that.

Banks/Lenders can purchase insurance for each mortgage they issue. The banks/lenders are free to pass the cost of mortgage insurance onto the buyer via fees or higher interest rates, or a combination of both.

Banks/Lenders are also free to pass the cost of mortgage insurance totally onto the buyer, meaning the buyer would have to obtain mortgage insurance before the mortgage is issued.

What kind of stipulations or conditions do you think insurance companies would put in mortgage insurance via banks/lenders? No HELCOs. No 2nd/3rd Mortgages....and if they would be permissible, then the insurers would raise insurance rates accordingly to cover the increased risk.

The majority of defaults were on 2nd/3rd Mortgages, not the primary.

As a taxpayer, how do you feel about getting raped to pay for someone's credit cards (consolidated into a 2nd Mortgage)? Or their Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas (consolidated with credit cards into a 2nd/3rd Mortgage)?

If the Federal Reserve continues to act stupidly and keep interest rates artificially low, then Congress needs to muster up the courage to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction from the Tax Code, or take other actions that will negate the artificially low interest rates, such as raising federal income taxes, or levying fees on home-buyers.

What do you suppose would happen if the idiots in Congress artificially restricted credit card interest rates to 9% or something? The prices of everything would rise....yes they would.

Not to worry, when Austerityâ„¢ comes to the US to take up residence, the government will no longer have those luxuries.

Agreeing...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When the truth is Krugman wrote:
To fight this recession the Fed needs more than a snapback; it needs soaring household spending to offset moribund business investment. And to do that, as Paul McCulley of Pimco put it, Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble.
If the Austrians can't understand something as simple as the difference between a call for increased "household spending" and lowing interest rates to increase home buying, what the hell else to they not understand?
Uh, there is no difference.

How do you increase household spending?

By increasing the value of homes, which gives home-owners more equity and allows them to borrow against their equity to spend by either increasing the credit limit on their HELOC or giving them the option to consolidate credit card debt into a 2nd/3rd Mortgage, thus freeing up their lines of credit for use.

Any economy that is based on home ownership and having equity to borrow against to sustain the economy is an automatic fail.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Austerians are freaking out because they realize, at some level, that they’re losing the debate.
They're aren't losing the debate.

The issue isn't if there will Austerityâ„¢, rather the issue is when will Austerityâ„¢ happen.

Right now, you have a choice as to the austerity measures you may take and how they are implemented. You can study them to determine their effectiveness, and ease such measures into law without harming the economy.

But if you wait until Austerityâ„¢ is knocking on your door, you won't have any time or any choices, and austerity measures will be implemented haphazardly wily-nily causing economic damage.

Quote:
For five years they've been predicting interest rates to soar;...
That's probably due to the fact that they expected the Federal Reserve to act rationally...and it hasn't.

Quote:
... inflation to skyrocket and the dollar to devalue -- none of which has occurred.
Okay, so they don't know how to calculate the coefficient of absorption and don't understand the US Dollar is used internationally.

You will have Real Inflation....but you have a ways to go before it sets in. Like I've said before, the last time I ran the numbers, the global economy could easily absorb an extra $9 TRILLION to $13 TRILLION in excess US Dollars......you're not even close to that yet, and will still be a few years before you start to get close.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Keynesian economists like Krugman have been consistently saying that none of those things happen in the special case of a liquidity trap.
Except Krugman is too stupid to realize that you don't have a liquidity trap.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world in which the failure of one's predictions to materialize resulted in a change in viewpoint? Nah, just attack the guy who has been right throughout the crisis.
He's been wrong the whole time.

Since WW III is not looming on the horizon, there will be a lot historical revising.

Austerely...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate1122 View Post
Krugman is too stubborn to acknowledge that the policies he supports and advocates are the very reason the recession happened in the first place. Central Bank policies were more influential than "greedy" investors or CRA or other government housing policy or even deregulation. Fed policy of essentially free money is your key. Krugman and Bernanke both support artificially suppressd interest rates (theoretically to increase consumption which is already too high) and Bernanke supports inverting the yield curve which basically told banks to take more risk.....otherwise you're buying high and selling low....not a solid business practice.

Originally Posted by White House Press Briefing, Office of the Press Secretary (Dec. 8, 1993)

MR. RUBIN: Hi. I'm Bob Rubin, the Assistant to the President for Economic Policy, and I'm going to introduce today's topic.

The President, as you know, has a broad, comprehensive strategy for dealing with the economic problems of the country for putting the country back on the right track for the long-term. A lot of the legislative and executive actions that have taken place in 1993 have been pursuant to that long-term economic strategy of the President's.

So, uh, I guess Clinton's "long-term economic strategy" was to bankrupt the US. He did a fine job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate1122 View Post
I doubt Krugman "wants" another bubble...but the policies he advocates will produce one.
That's the point others have made, yet so few understand.

Krugman cannot simultaneously advocate such policies and then claim he didn't want another "bubble," precisely because the end-result of such policies is always a "bubble."

Effectively, Krugman is feeding heroin to people and the complaining because those same people became addicted to heroin.

Concurring...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies