Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,504,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I had not thought of 'fishing license' as being part of 'rights lost'.

Even as a youth in the 1960s fishing licenses were required (at least, my father had to have one, while I guess I did not until I was 12 or so). Yet, it makes some sense: Texas only has one 'natural' lake, while all the others are man-made, and had to be stocked with fish. I assume that the fishing license fees go towards stocking the lakes, maintaining the public boat ramps, paying for the game wardens, etc.

I do seem to recall that for many years fishing in natural rivers did not require a fishing license, though I believe one is now required.
You don't consider obtaining food without government permission a right lost?

To me the right to eat is a pretty basic right that shouldn't be infringed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
The only place I can fish for free now is my own pond on my property.
But the government owns the water in that pond or so they say.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
None of us have lost any of our constitutional rights, so we can all relax here. Just because Barack Obama wants to drop the hammer on gun violence and keep automatic and semiautomatic weapons off the streets and run background checks and psychological screenings to weed out the folks that have no business owning firearms doesn't mean he wants to repeal the 2nd Amendment. Not once did he mention anything against responsible citizens hunting or defending their own homes from intruders.
I believe under the Patriot Act you can be arrested and held indefinately without trial or being charged.

And of course, if you have a joint in your house the goverment can, and often does, seize all your assets.

But we haven't lost any rights.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 10,188 times
Quote:
Well then maybe you should stop blasting him for encouraging us to leave Roe vs. Wade alone and supporting gay marriages. I haven't seen any teahadists speaking in favor of those.
I'm indifferent to it. You'd be faced with a daunting task to argue gay marriage and abortion in the face of gun control and it's impact on castle doctrine. They simply are not on equal footing when it comes to individual livelihood.

Not everybody who supports guns are "Teahadists"

And if you support progressive legislation that compromises, or can subsequently compromise, a law abiding citizens ability to arm themselves....you deserve a civil war.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Then blame George W. Bush for that one. Nobody has been arrested and held indefinitely since it's been enacted without being tried and charged. If you're so concerned about rights than maybe you should stop trying to beat around the bush about gay rights on my other thread, too.
Blame Obama too. he extended it.

I'm not beating around the bush on gay rights. I said it is legal for a person to marry a same-sex partner in the United States. You said it isn't. I stated a fact. You stated a falsehood. You're the one beating around the bush.

P.S. Ask Jose Padilla if no one has been held withpout being charged. And they don't have to tell us when they do detain someone so you don't know anyway. Your guessing.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 AM
JRR

8,114 posts, read 5,565,658 times
Yeah, I sometimes wonder how we manage to put up with our wretched lives under this tyrannical government. Which government should we use as a model? Russia? Mexico? China? Iran? North Korea? ....? Which government is the total rights one that allows anyone to do anything they want at any time?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 10,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yeah, I sometimes wonder how we manage to put up with our wretched lives under this tyrannical government. Which government should we use as a model? Russia? Mexico? China? Iran? North Korea? ....? Which government is the total rights one that allows anyone to do anything they want at any time?
Why didn't this train of thought... the "what government operates more benignly than the US" logic....10, 20, 30 years ago? With issues like gay marriage or abortion??? These are issues that are treated like pure savagery...social injustices that MUST be righted!!! How soon they forget about China, Mexico, North Korea and Russia, right? No, USA is the worst because a lot of citizens don't want to see two men kissing in the street. Ever.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
No ones claims we live under a tyrannical government.

They say somes rights have been taken away. See the difference.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM

13,677 posts, read 8,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You don't consider obtaining food without government permission a right lost?

To me the right to eat is a pretty basic right that shouldn't be infringed.
I sorta see your point. However, without fees those of us here in Texas simply would not have had the lakes to fish in. The 'government' provided the lakes and stocked them with fish. I pay some $30 for the right to fish in said lakes.

Now, I imagine Ohio has natural lakes with natural fish in them. I can see your issue with having to obtain a license to fish in those lakes, since before the rise of the USA people fished for free.

Anyway, I cannot agree with the basic premise that my right to eat has been unduly infringed.To an extend, yes, but then again, I have (along with some 300 million other Americans) tend to eat what we want, in whatever quantities we want (save for NYC and Big Gulps, which I think is intrusion).

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,312,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
DUH!!! That's the whole point. When the government has the power to disappear you without any need to notify anyone then tens of thousands could vanish and no one would have a clue where, when or how. All it requires is some nameless bureaucrat in some nameless government department suspecting you might be a terrorist and YOU ARE GONE.
So, in your world you believe that the US gov't will 'disappear' tens of thousands of American citizens and no one will have a clue?? Seriously??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies