Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes I use it, but I don't use it as much as most people and especially as much as most people with cars.

Now the customers who come in to buy my burgers are using a lot of infrastructure.
People with cars pay extra taxes for driving cars so they are paying their way. I pay a registration fee to keep my car on the road and I pay the taxes on gasoline as well.

There is a difference between being a user and a supplier. Car drivers are actually funding the infrastructure they use. Those who use mass transit are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd like to see income tax abolished. Go to a value added tax instead and/or a sales tax. The size of my mortgage or the number of kids I have is none of the government's business and they shouldn't be handing out write offs or tax credits for either. Both a value added tax (taxes are baked into the price of goods based on the value added by each entity that handles and improves said goods along the way and then passed on to the consumer) and a sales tax encourage savings, which is something we, sorely, need to do. Under such a system, you can choose to not have a tax on things like food and prescription drugs and you can choose to tax some things at a heavier rate, like luxury items. You can also choose to do things like tax fuel efficient cars at a lesser rate to make them more attractive to buyers.

The income tax system is seriously flawed when 47% of people don't pay federal taxes and many of them get money back from the government as if tax monies are really a form of welfare. If you need welfare, get welfare. Taxes shouldn't be a form of welfare.

So you want to soak renters with a regressive tax? My rented home is already taxed at a higher rate than the owner-occupied home next door. You want another tax on top of my inflated rent?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
People with cars pay extra taxes for driving cars so they are paying their way. I pay a registration fee to keep my car on the road and I pay the taxes on gasoline as well.

There is a difference between being a user and a supplier. Car drivers are actually funding the infrastructure they use. Those who use mass transit are not.

Gas taxes pay for highways, property taxes pay for local streets.

I already pay my fair share in the form of a $1,500 annual "nonhomestead" tax on my home, although I'm not getting any services not available to homeowners.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
No, it's the "soak the rich" mentality. Leftists can't stand it if somebody has more. They don't like the idea that it is possible for achievers to build wealth for themselves and their families. Improving ones standard of living is seen as greed. They think that "getting ahead" means screwing someone else. This is what the left teaches. This is what our children are being taught.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, it's the "soak the rich" mentality. Leftists can't stand it if somebody has more. They don't like the idea that it is possible for achievers to build wealth for themselves and their families. Improving ones standard of living is seen as greed. They think that "getting ahead" means screwing someone else. This is what the left teaches. This is what our children are being taught.

"Nonhomestead tax" = getting ahead by screwing someone else = "soak the poor"

Zoning = socializing property rights = poor renters denied property rights = don't build wealth for themselves

Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
I consider "fair" to be a flat rate on all discretionary income.
So... a person who earns $500K per year and spends it all on food, clothing, shelter, transportation, health care, etc., pays no income tax.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
"Nonhomestead tax" = getting ahead by screwing someone else = "soak the poor"
How much extra does this cost you personally per year?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Raising taxes on the poor and middle class and lowering taxes for the wealthy is "fair?"

Sounds like a recipe for a recession.
What part of "fair" you don't understand?

You make $100, your tax is $15.30

You make $1,000,000, then your tax is $153,000

I guess your "fair" meant socialize, regardless how hard you work, you get the same reward as the person who does not work.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Yes I use it, but I don't use it as much as most people and especially as much as most people with cars.

Now the customers who come in to buy my burgers are using a lot of infrastructure.
No customers; no burger flipper job. You use and rely on the infrastructure just as much as your employer and customers do.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... a person who earns $500K per year and spends it all on food, clothing, shelter, transportation, health care, etc., pays no income tax.

Um, no. I consider "discretionary income" to be income above what is necessary for a living standard at the 20th percentile (e.g. BELOW the median, hence nothing extravagant) while meeting all the obligations generally regarded as meeting standards of personal responsibility (e.g. shelter, food, all the proper and adequate insurances, emergency fund, retirement plan, etc).

Someone who earns $500K per year and spends it all is clearly living WAY above the 20th percentile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies