Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,567,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
New York? What a bunch of crap. People don't pay a fortune to live somewhere miserable. In fact, many people are moving out of the North Eastern NJ counties and into the city. I'll give them Atlantic City, that is one dump of a town.
Read the article. It based off commute times and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,897,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Actually, Obama is technically from Hawaii, since that's where he was born and primarily raised. However, his political stomping ground is Chicago. Essentially, he came of age in the windy (corrupt) city of Chicago...
True.

For the record, President Obama has spent time in Honolulu, Jakarta, Seattle, Eagle Rock(Los Angeles), Morningside Heights(NYC), Cambridge, MA, Chicago, Springfield, IL, and Washington D.C.

Notably missing from this list in Kenya, which will no doubt irritate our resident birthers.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,877,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Read the article. It based off commute times and taxes.
Which ignores virtually everything about what makes a city good or not. Talk about a myopic fluff piece exactly what people have come to expect from a partisan magazine like Forbes.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,505,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How ever did you manage to read an article and assign it your own facts?

Don't see any of your list included. Talk about twisting facts. BTW..anyone that uses "tard" as a suffix is usually wrong on most issues.
The OP said themes.

They never claimed these themes were used to make the list.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The list is garbage, Chicago and Lake County Il. are both in the top 10.

The list is red meat for stupid people, the magazine and the author of the list both know this.
Yet Chicago has one the highest out-migration rates in the country.

Cities don't lose residents because it's such a wonderful place to live.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM

39,803 posts, read 26,303,298 times
I went to school in Flint and spent time in Detroit for work, it's hard to argue that they are holes. I only spend a bit of time in Chicago, but is sucks bad even to drive through, toll booths every 3 miles. I'm surprised that Buffalo isn't on the list.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,588,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yet Chicago has one the highest out-migration rates in the country.

Cities don't lose residents because it's such a wonderful place to live.
Er, actually Chicago has experienced a growth in the past two years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago
Also, if I were you I would be more concerned about Ohio cities: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo and Youngstown aren't exactly thriving
But - you know - Ohio rules

Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,054,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hell, she's also claiming Stockton, Modesto, and Vallejo in California are liberal which is a load of crap. They're all bright red districts and the reason they're crap holes is because they're bright red districts full of dirt poor red necks. They all seem to just sit out there doing crystal meth and bitching about how Mexicans are willing to work harder for less money but I guess that's the breaks when you dropped out of high school and have no job skills worth anything. Of course, anyone who actually has job skills immediately gets the hell out of those yokel land.
Yep. Warren, MI wouldn't fall under the "liberal" camp either. They're a suburb. They have a Republican mayor. I'd say they're more moderate than anything.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Er, actually Chicago has experienced a growth in the past two years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago
Also, if I were you I would be more concerned about Ohio cities: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo and Youngstown aren't exactly thriving
But - you know - Ohio rules
Out-migration does not mean loss of population. If it did I woulda said they lost population.

And those Ohio cities are doing pretty well, considering we're dealing with President Obama's economy and all. Thanks for your concern though.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,109,158 times
Any list that puts Chicago and New York behind long-depressed, stripped big towns like Gary IN and Youngstown OH can't have any credibility.

Although I think we have to admit that Chicago is losing alot of ground to DC, LA, Seattle, San Fran, Boston, Portland, etal., not close to being our 2nd city anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies