Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Citation requested
Start with the crusades.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,194 times
Is the pope just a symbol for Catholics or does he actually have some importance to the non Catholics?

How many on here are Catholic? How many would go to see him if he returns to America? If so, why?

Most of our doctrines allude to the Roman Catholic church...but yet none of us know much about Mass or could even respond as needed to the liturgies...

Guess I'm wondering what does it matter if they have no more popes or fifty eleven dozen more?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Start with the crusades.
As mentioned above

The Crusades are just one part of one side of the equation.

I'm looking for the entire equation.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
As mentioned above

What do you want..statistics on death toll numbers from the Crusades ?
Suffice it to say a lot of innocent people died.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do you want..statistics on death toll numbers from the Crusades ?
Suffice it to say a lot of innocent people died.

A poster made the following statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sorry, but I almost fell out of my chair on this one. Historically, the Catholic Church has been responsible for more wars than any other entity, and can take the blame for far more deaths than they can take credit for lives saved.
I asked for a citation.

It's a damn sad state of affairs that I have to keep explaining what that means and why it's important.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
It is important to draw a distinction between the Roman Catholic church as an organization and the intimately held religious beliefs of ordinary catholics.

The organization that is the Roman Catholic church is a cross between a multinational corporation, a political party and the mafia.

The child abuse scandal - which seems to be pervasive throughout that organization - has demonstrated a total disregard for the victims, concerted attempts to pervert the course of justice in multiple countries by shielding the perpetrators and financial shenanigans designed to cheat the victims out of compensation.

In the past few days, in Scotland, Cardinal O'Brien has been accused of 'inappropriate behavior' (essentially gay behavior). But it is not the fact of being gay but rather the abuse of a position of power in order to obtain sexual favors.

BBC News - Cardinal Keith O'Brien misses Sunday Mass after accusations

Needless to say, Cardinal O'Brien is vehemently opposed to gay marriage.

But beyond the child abuse and sexual abuse scandals, the Vatican has been embroiled in financial scandals for at least 30 years. Those with long memories will remember Roberto Calvi, an Italian known as "God's Banker" because of his links to the Vatican, and who was found hanging from London's Blackfriars Bridge. More recently, the Vatican bank has been suspected of money laundering and, in September 2010, Italian investigators froze €23 million in bank funds during a probe into possible money-laundering, placing its President Ettore Gotti Tedeschi under investigation.

Those with even longer memories will recall the very ambiguous attitude of the Roman Catholic church to the Nazis and the role of the Vatican Refugee Commission in providing known war criminals with false identities.

In my opinion, the Roman Catholic church is a criminal organization. For the protection of society it needs to be shut down.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:

A poster made the following statement

I asked for a citation.

It's a damn sad state of affairs that I have to keep explaining what that means and why it's important.
It's an even sadder state of affairs when I've already replied to you and invited you to have a conversation about the topic, yet you've ignored the post in which I replied and continued to attempt to deflect from historical fact.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
As mentioned above

Then do your own research.
You continue to try to whitewash their activities.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times
Quote:
As mentioned above

If the actions of the Catholic Church caused the death or physical damage of just one person in its history, then the Church went against the teachings of Christ. Simple as that. And as the Catholic Church has done this, playing a numbers game about just how many is really besides the point.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then do your own research.
You continue to try to whitewash their activities.
Another sad state of affairs is that people seem to live in alternate realities.

Where did I originally try to whitewash their activities?
Where did I continue to try to whitewash their activities?

The only thing that I've done is ask the poster to support his statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's an even sadder state of affairs when I've already replied to you and invited you to have a conversation about the topic, yet you've ignored the post in which I replied and continued to attempt to deflect from historical fact.
More of the same...
How have I attempted to deflect from historical fact? Have I denied the Crusades?
You made a statement. I asked you to support your statement with evidence.
It's a simple concept. Most people learn this in high school.

I am an outspoken atheist.
I have no love for the Catholic, nor any other, religion.
A big part of the reason that I don't believe in any religion is that there is no evidence for any of them.
I'm a big believer in having evidence in something before believing in it.

Thus, if I am to believe your claim that the Catholic church is responsible for more deaths than lives saved, you need to provide evidence.

You have not done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies