Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm as liberal as they come.

I have no problem with you keep a gun in your home to protect your family if you feel it necessary. It's a personal decision. It's certainly legal. It's none of my business whether you do or you don't.
Thank you! Finally someone talking with some sort of sense.

Quote:
I think what makes many liberals (and others) uncomfortable is the minority of people who seemingly can't wait for their home to get broken in to so they can shoot someone. Maybe they are over-represented here on CD, but if you're frothing at the mouth to kill someone, you're not a gun supporter-- you're mentally unbalanced.
I have yet to read anything of what is in bold. This is just a lie the left has pushed to support thier agenda. Can you provide anything of this?

Quote:
If a gun is truly just a tool with which you can defend yourself then treat it like one. But why the pride? Why the ideation? I have a lot of tools, I am not "proud" of any of them. I don't discuss them with others. If guns are your thing-- that's fine with me. But your rights do end at my child's right to be safe in his elementary school.
Did you ever think that people take pride in their guns because they are so lethal and yet they don't kill anyone? People are different, that's what makes this place so great. I have a lot of tools also, but I respect and yes, I take pride in my rifles, shotguns, and pistols. When friends come over, they get shown.

I fully agree, nobody should take a gun into a school, unless you are trained. What happened at Newtown, could not have been stopped, fact, the laws made it so he was unable to get a gun and had to finally kills his mother to get a gun.

Quote:
How we achieve that is open to debate... But I have to tell you-- Becoming orgasmic every time someone shoots an intruder isn't helping your cause...
Nobody is orgasmic (another leftist lie), but we who have guns get tired of hearing about all the bad stuff and NEVER anything about when a gun does good, yes, a life was taken, it would not have been taken if the robber would have not been a robber.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Why don't anti-gunners just drive without seatbelts? Why are y'all so paranoid about something that will likely not be needed in your lifetime?

Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
If someone breaks into my house - either the alarm goes off or I hear the crash of the door or window - I will grab my gun. But my first objective will be to get myself and any family out of the house through the back door or one of the sliders. The last thing I want to have to do is to shoot someone and if I can avoid that then I will.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
people take pride in their guns because they are so lethal
I thought guns don't kill people? Now they're lethal. Got ya.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If someone breaks into my house - either the alarm goes off or I hear the crash of the door or window - I will grab my gun. But my first objective will be to get myself and any family out of the house through the back door or one of the sliders. The last thing I want to have to do is to shoot someone and if I can avoid that then I will.
I would think it's far more dangerous to evacuate an entire family with an intruder in the house rather than killing them. Plus, it avoids any misunderstanding for future would-be intruders who stake out neighborhoods to rob/rape/assault.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
I'm sure you recognize that it's a vicious circle.

I'm sure the people posting every story of gun related violence they can find are just of sure as their right not to get shot by a random lunatic as you are of your right to bear arms...
I do understand it, but I also understand that a mad man will committ mass murder irrespective of what is available to him to do it. Such examples as the Oklahoma city bombing come to mind as well as Charles Manson. Treating a symptom rather than the disease is not going to bear fruit. It never has. Columbine occurred during the last gun ban. It didn't stop these two young maniacs and nothing would have. All we can do is try to find these people in our society and prevent them from committing acts of violence before they act. We will never be totally successful. Weapon bans and accessory bans do nothing to solve the problem and only tear at the fiber of the country.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I would think it's far more dangerous to evacuate an entire family with an intruder in the house rather than killing them. Plus, it avoids any misunderstanding for future would-be intruders who stake out neighborhoods to rob/rape/assault.
That depends on the house and how many are in it.

And the intruders would be caught - in glorious technicolor - on my security cameras anyway which would, no doubt, help the police and avoid future misunderstandings.

Not saying I would not shoot. But it would be very much a last resort.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That depends on the house and how many are in it.

And the intruders would be caught - in glorious technicolor - on my security cameras anyway which would, no doubt, help the police and avoid future misunderstandings.

Not saying I would not shoot. But it would be very much a last resort.
Seems too risky not knowing how many intruders could be at other exits waiting to enter or waiting for you to flee. Killing the intruder would likely cause their confederates to flee. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Well that point went straight over your head....figures....

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
They're only lethal when put into action by a human being. But surely you know that.

A gun just lying in a secure place is no more dangerous than a baby pacifier lying in the crib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies