Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
This is why I am self employed... My employer appreciates my efforts and my employee works tirelessly to accomplish the mission... Try it sometime.. It's the hardest you will ever work, but if you use your head, it will also be the most rewarding work you will ever do...
Hey, that's what I do.

The only danger is making the other employees look bad.

And, the other employers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM

23,863 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Hey, OP, we're hiring. DM me your name so I can make absolutely certain we DON'T hire you. There's no way in hell I'd ever knowingly hire someone with as bad an attitude as yours.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
This makes no sense.

If an employer is hiring, it is because there is a need and they want it filled.
Of course but I think some Obama-fans are complaining that if an employer has two applicants and one is sharp and has a good history of employment and education and seems eager to work and would work hard and the other has never held a job or was fired from the last three jobs and laid around on unemployment handouts for the last 3 years, the employer might chose the one with the better work history.

Yes, the jobs are there, the jobs are being filled.

There is a problem of the government making trade deals for the purpose of exporting many millions of jobs and at the sale time keeping the borders open and encouraging very massive immigration for the purpose of bringing wages way down. At the same time unskilled Americans need to realize that they may have to take jobs that require a real work ethic and they won't be making 6 figure salaries.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Oh....he also has a full time job a a plant manager at a paper plant which he begins at 4am 5 days a week.

He cuts about 30 lawns a week.

All it takes to be successful is hard work.
I knew a guy working the night shift making about $100K a year at one job and working a coal delivery job on the side during the day maybe another 6 or 8 hours each day. I always had a strong work ethic but that's insane, I really don't understand why anyone would do that.

I had an Uncle that was 82 years old still working his coal business, he wasn't making much money at it and didn't need a single penny. He could of built a million dollar home and paid cash... LOL. Just enjoyed work and lived a simple life.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
My main issue is with the online applications for minimum wage jobs I've been applying to for years. In the past all you had to do was fill out an application and shake some hands. Now it's all online, employees lie to you about if they are hiring, and you have to take personality tests from a company called Unicru, which is based in India and the philippines. Supposedly if you don't answer it right your application goes into a black hole.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I knew a guy working the night shift making about $100K a year at one job and working a coal delivery job on the side during the day maybe another 6 or 8 hours each day. I always had a strong work ethic but that's insane, I really don't understand why anyone would do that.

I had an Uncle that was 82 years old still working his coal business, he wasn't making much money at it and didn't need a single penny. He could of built a million dollar home and paid cash... LOL. Just enjoyed work and lived a simple life.
The guy that demolished one of our buildings on campus was an 80 year old guy who has owned his own crane for 60 years. The demolition could not use dynamite but he was able to use the crane that took apart the building with painstaking accuracy.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll agree with the OP on a few things....

One, don't blame the government, which is only common sense.

And two, the whole resume/cover letter thing is laughable. They've made a cottage industry out of that stuff full of experts that supposedly know which magic words you need to use to draw attention. LOL...what a joke. I've always believed that most open positions are filled before they're vacant or if it's a new position, they already have someone in mind. The resume and interview process seems to be no more than going through the motions IMO.

When looking for a gig, my experience says that it pays to know someone on the inside.
You are wrong.

Every one of my kids starts working at age 16, they work while in college. My 20 year old son had his hours cut where he works so he applied to about 3 places and one place he applied, he went in to ask the manager if they were hiring and was told to apply on line, he told them he had, and was given a skills test and by the time he got back home he was called to tell him he was hired.

From the experiences of my kids, I would say it's no more difficult to get a job than it ever was, in fact you've got millions of people coming here illegally who apparently have no trouble at all finding work. In fact I know one of the illegals in my neighborhood routinely is offered jobs in Chicago. They're begging for workers there apparently.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
My main issue is with the online applications for minimum wage jobs I've been applying to for years. In the past all you had to do was fill out an application and shake some hands. Now it's all online, employees lie to you about if they are hiring, and you have to take personality tests from a company called Unicru, which is based in India and the philippines. Supposedly if you don't answer it right your application goes into a black hole.
There are answer keys though...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You are wrong. Yes, you fill out applications on line but you also have to pick your butt off the couch and get in and talk to a manager. You might have to talk to several managers, ask them if they are hiring because that will spur them to actually look for your application. They're not going to just shift through what might be dozens of online applications.

How do you think all the illegals are finding work, they often speak no English at all, never laid eyes on a computer and couldn't begin to fill out an online application. For them it's networking and word of mouth but the jobs are out there - in fact Obama claims we need foreign unskilled labor because Americans don't want to work. The Obama administration is pouring money into the housing industry, another housing boom is on the horizon.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Maybe these managers should make a note of that somewhere and tell people to follow up. But what am I saying? It's just another addition to my list. I actually applied to one place who said don't call or show up after you apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies