Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
We have college grads that haven't been able to find work for years. Most chronically unemployed people are perfectly capable workers and are just not given a chance. These people have every right to have a bad attitude! All you people making fun of the op for his attitude should try being unemployed for over a year. I bet your attitude would be bad too.
"We have college grads that haven't been able to find work for years.'

That's a pretty broad statement.

Being you have access to so much info, how about telling us the breakdown of what degrees these poor souls have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I blame the job seeker.... They pretend they want to work, but when hired, they don't want to work or worse, they are incompetent and create more work for you... Why would anyone hire people like that and there is so many of them...

Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?
0bama does not care if his policies destroy jobs, that's what Food Stamps, welfare and unemployment compensation is for.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I blame the job seeker.... They pretend they want to work, but when hired, they don't want to work or worse, they are incompetent and create more work for you... Why would anyone hire people like that and there is so many of them...
Living with a few lazy or just plain lousy employees will always be the norm, but 0bama's energy, environmental and healthcare policies are killing jobs by draining wealth out of the nation's businesses.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Gosh, shoot me in the eye because I want to know the person I'm hiring can put together a decent resume and, at the very least, can use spell check on their, or their local library's, computer.

As far as blaming the government goes. Maybe you should think about the term opportunity cost.
Quote:
When economists refer to the “opportunity cost†of a resource, they mean the value of the next-highest-valued alternative use of that resource. If, for example, you spend time and money going to a movie, you cannot spend that time at home reading a book, and you cannot spend the money on something else. If your next-best alternative to seeing the movie is reading the book, then the opportunity cost of seeing the movie is the money spent plus the pleasure you forgo by not reading the book.
Opportunity Cost: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

Maybe you ought to think about that when your potential employer is tasked with adhering to 30 new laws a month via something like "Health Care Reform" and "Dodd-Frank" type legislation.

What, you thought hiring lawyers, accountants and consultants was free? That money could have been spent hiring a competent new employee who they want to go far in the company and who the employer knows can read, write and spell via that horrendous cover letter, resume and application you think is outmoded and antiquated and a bummer/drag to have to fill out.

Have a good day!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
I think I may have been too harsh on the job seeking OP. I forgot that we live in a time when a person's feelings matter more than results. So to smooth things over I want to say, "I'm sorry. I 'feel' your pain. I agree it isn't 'fair', and maybe if we could just get a dialogue going, bringing some attention to this matter, people may start to 'care' about this tragic situation. That way we could bring about some real hope and change."

Then again, maybe I wasn't too harsh.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?
You left out the part where the illegals live like rats(20+ to a motel room) and work for cash.
Oh, and employers know they can abuse them, who they gonna tell?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
It was hard to follow the OP's post so I gave up. Failing to communicate effectively could be why you're having problems finding a job.

If you're a professional looking for work you should have a Linkedin account and it should be updated. A lot of recruiters troll the site and many companies are utilizing Linkedin as opposed to traditional headhunters. I'm about to switch jobs with a substantial jump in pay all because a recruiter found my profile on Linkedin.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll agree with the OP on a few things....

One, don't blame the government, which is only common sense.

And two, the whole resume/cover letter thing is laughable. They've made a cottage industry out of that stuff full of experts that supposedly know which magic words you need to use to draw attention. LOL...what a joke. I've always believed that most open positions are filled before they're vacant or if it's a new position, they already have someone in mind. The resume and interview process seems to be no more than going through the motions IMO.

When looking for a gig, my experience says that it pays to know someone on the inside.
Very true although a well written resume can open some opportunities but more often than not its personal connections that translate into results. The NY Times had an article a few weeks ago about how employers are relying more on employee referrals. The employees they find as a result of referrals tend to stay longer and are better fits than someone who merely applied online. In fact I'm being told when you fill out an application online and they ask you where you heard about the job, if you note Internet Job Board the recruiters simply move your app to the side.

I will say though having an update LinkedIn account really is a must though for any upwardly mobile professional. I would highly recommend it.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Here's a list of just a few things that government does that kills jobs. This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure with a little thought I could come up with hundreds more.

The high minimum wage that knocks out the first several rungs from the bottom of the ladder;
The high payroll tax that robs employees and employers of resources;
The laws that threaten firms with lawsuits should the employee be fired;
The laws that established myriad conditions for hiring beyond the market-based condition that matters: can he or she get the job done?;
The unemployment subsidy in the form of phony insurance that pays people not to work;
The high cost of business start-ups in the form of taxes and mandates;
The mandated benefits that employers are forced to cough up for every new employee under certain conditions;
The withholding tax that prevents employers and employees from making their own deals;
The age restrictions that treat everyone under the age of 16 as useless;
The social security and income taxes that together devour nearly half of contract income;
The labor union laws that permit thugs to loot a firm and keep out workers who would love a chance to offer their wares for less;
Forcing employers to be immigration officers because the feds refuse to do their job;
Treating anyone under the age of 16 as useless when they are perfectly capable of working;
Forcing employers to act as social engineers by following Affirmative Action laws when all they care about is whether or not the employee can do the job.. They could give a rat’s arse what gender/race an employee is.

It aint that hard to figure out. There is always work to be done. Always. There is always someone willing to pay someone to do that work. Always. There is always someone willing to do the work. Always. Without government unemployment would be zero.

All the government does is add cost to the employer which forces the employer to spend resources unecessarily. In order to compensate the employer will:

1. reduce the workforce.
2. pay lower wages.
3. slow production and not create a new job at all.
4. Locate the business where the regulation/tax does not exist.

Look at Census Data from the 1800s before the feds and unions got involved in the workplace. Salaries were skyrocketing. Unemployment was nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies